'War on the Line' - Weardale Railway - 2/3 June

The venue and also scenery around the railway make a very attractive setting for the event. A poor weather forecast in the few days before the show threatened to spoil everything, but thankfully, the weathermen got it wrong, and the event saw mostly blue sky and plenty of sun. Several vehicles arrived on the Friday evening and set up camp. At about 5:00am on Saturday morning, the camp was surrounded by mist, but by breakfast the sun was out and it was warming up nicely.

stan1.jpg

stan3.jpg

stan7.jpg

stan15.jpg

The Vampire and Canberra cockpits were popular as ever across the weekend, especially with the kids in attendance. The next station along the line was in the hands of the Germans. A few made the trip along to the main display at Stanhope Station.

stan18.jpg

stan30.jpg

stan28.jpg

stan37.jpg

Many of the vehicle owners, particularly those with Dodges, have also collected a fair amount of kit to display along with their vehicle. As a result, over the last year, dioramas make up a large part of the vehicle displays at many events. This was in addition to the many other dioramas also displaying at the event. Sunday saw a slight change in the vehicles on display, with one or two missing and others replacing them.

stan40.jpg

stan14.jpg

stan29.jpg

stan34.jpg

Both days saw the re-enactment groups put on mock battles in an enclosure at one side of the field. I wouldn't like to think of the cost of the quantity of rounds that were fired, but the public enjoyed the display. Dark clouds began to roll in around 4:00pm, by which time most people were packing up and preparing to leave having had a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend.

Further pictures can be found on the MVT(NE) Website Gallery

Steve

Kinetic rope ( ? ) on the front of the Ferret? I don't remember seeing kinetic rope on a Ferret's CES 1975 - 82, but it sounds like a shrewd move for an RQMS(T) to womble them (as I have described recently with bivouac tents for Ferrets on another thread). And of course, they may have become a CES item after I'd moved on.

I do love Ferrets.

Alien,

That doesn't look like a Kinetic rope to me, most of the CVRT ropes these days are just standard tow ropes too. You can spot the difference because the kinetic ropes have a sheen to them and tend to be green rather than brown.

Why don't you get yourself a Ferret?

Chris

Alien,

That doesn't look like a Kinetic rope to me, most of the CVRT ropes these days are just standard tow ropes too. You can spot the difference because the kinetic ropes have a sheen to them and tend to be green rather than brown.

Why don't you get yourself a Ferret?

Chris

Rope: yeah I guess. Still would have been a good idea.

Ferret: would love to. Maybe when I move off this [expletive deleted]-hole estate in a year or two, if I have managed to reduce my debt burden further, I'd give it some thought. Problem is that SWMBO wouldn't want to command (or drive) it and I would never have a crew when I needed one. And I would be hard put not to get it out on the road every moment of every day. All that benz ... all that maintenance ... Must resist.

You know tonight's lottery numbers?

Mmmmm Ferret.