Canvas tilts etc for a Tilly

Chris_Collins

Hello All,

My Tilly Project ticks along getting bits sandblasted and primed as we strip it down, I though it time to look into getting the Canvas tilt, screen and other odds and ends. tried Allied forces withought any success, I'm mindful they're a small outfit and its "peak season" so I'm happy to wait, but are there alternatives out there? Would Worthings be worth shooting a query through to? I'm sure i could find a local source to cobble together something "suitable" but it'd be nice to get one fron someone who had actually seen examples/patterns etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris Collins

When I bought my Tilly back in 1989 it came with an original tilt, but the top (Bren gun) panel had been replaced with a totally different colour canvas. So I bought a new one off the Worthing's, which was just a tilt with no windows or panels. They also made me a rad muff. But then they gave up on British stuff to concentrate solely on US vehicles.

Some years later when Allied forces started up, I gave my original tilt to Jim to hopefully find a suitable piece of canvas to replace my top panel, which he eventually did after about 3 years. I think he used it as a pattern to make some tilts and he also borrowed my rad muff to copy.

Sadly since Martyn retired and left Jim on his own, I think he also concentrates on just US vehicles. But worth a call I would think and maybe mention my name. Ron Pier

Tilly 09 001.jpg

Hello All,

My Tilly Project ticks along getting bits sandblasted and primed as we strip it down, I though it time to look into getting the Canvas tilt, screen and other odds and ends. tried Allied forces withought any success, I'm mindful they're a small outfit and its "peak season" so I'm happy to wait, but are there alternatives out there? Would Worthings be worth shooting a query through to? I'm sure i could find a local source to cobble together something "suitable" but it'd be nice to get one fron someone who had actually seen examples/patterns etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris Collins

Hi Chris you don't say where you are located ? as Ron said Allied & Worthing's are both concentrating on American but there are many other.

I've used Compton's in Birmingham, one in Norfolk but the name escapes me at the moment and one in Witney Oxfordshire who is just about to start on my 'Standard' Tilly canvas but they all need your vehicle as they don't have patterns.

Regards Ian

Chris,

Comptons2000 (undercover covers) in Birmingham may be worth considering. I have seen their work on a Morris Minor pickup and are using them for my Bedford and will do again when it comes time to have mine made. I have found that some of the other canvas makers appear to shy away when you mention British vehicles.

Andy

The problem the canvas guys have with Brit stuff is that it takes a long time to make - a lot of detail to get right. The US stuff is 'fairly' straight forward. The Brit stuff can take four times as long. The problem you can't charge four times as much?

• 4 years later...
On 7/11/2015 at 9:50 AM, svdwal said:

Hi Chris,

Contact Frank Brown, he made the canvas for my Morris and am very pleased.

I guess he is able to make canvas for the Tilly.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

Svdwal I am trying to contact Frank Brown on Facebook to see if he could help with aAustin Tilly Tilt but have been unable to locate can you help please, thank you. 

Regards

Pierre