Powering the Clansman Harness

I have a 12volt/24volt Type 15 Stabilised Power Supply Unit, NSN = Z9/6130-99-651-0593, which draws 2 amps at 24 volts. The positive and negative outlets require two spade connectors.

I would like to use this PSU to power the vehicle harness for test purposes whilst the vehicle is not mobile, without using the batteries or running the engine.

A 3-way power distribution box NSN = 6110-99-637-9550 is available on ebay. Will this be OK to feed power from my PSU into the Ferret clansman harness independently of the batteries to the stationary and immobile vehicle?

Or is there (a) a smaller 2-way distribution box or (b) an alternative means of doing this, like altering a harness cable? Grateful for any advice.

thanks, Mad Scientist

I assume that you've got either an IB2 or IB3 at the centre of the harness? If so it's just a matter of applying 24V to its DC input with a suitable 2-pin plug - eBay item 400887925136 would suit.

Andy

Yep, what Andy said. You only need the 2 or 3 way boxes if you want to power the radios too (typically one for the harness and one each for the radios). The distribution box does have the advantage of having fuses in it, though.

Cheers,

Terry

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, Fozzie55 said:

I don't suppose anybody has a wiring diagram for one of these stabilised supplies. I have one and it puts out 9.42 vdc on either 12vdc or 24vdc outputs.

Which supply in particular?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

When I tested the outputs of the transformer, they matched the posts on the connection board, so it looks like the transformer is ok. The voltage at the rectifier also achanges when you change the selector switch. Just both voltage outputs remain at 9.42 volts.

I had to Google the NSN to find out what it was, I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.  Without any further information I'd be inclined to replace any electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board as they are the most likely cause of age-related failure.

Andy