Scrap yard relics...

Jack

phew... i dont know if its still there but ther used to be one parked up at the side of the road just past the red kite cafe on the way to abberistwith it yellow ex council snow plough by the looks it was rough but all there

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this clip of a farm ? in Britain with some military and non military Vehicles just waiting to be saved , Perhaps some knows who the owners are ?

Something went wrong...

The boat maybe of interest to CW,as it looks suspicously like the RAF rescue boat that is on display at RAF Hendon.

Thats a Ford E4 3 ton truck called Commer cabbed Fords, ex british army,around 5000 were built in the 1950s looking at this one i would suspect its been used in the Round Timber Trade

There's another one at the side of the road between Forfar and Montrose with a jib grafted on, in the same area as an RL. Had half a mind to try to persuade the owner to let me have but had to move to t'other end of the country before I got the chance.

A little further North, and visible from the train before you approach Stonehaven from the West is a yard with a couple of Matadors.

• 2 months later...
I found this excellent site, stuffed full of Armour and Trucks. It is Slab Common in Bordon Hampshire.

I've just skimmed through this thread but thought I'd shed some light on "That slab site".

It's an MOD tank training area, to include recovery of heavy vehicles off-road. A lot of Land Rover clubs etc. use it for play days, racing, challenges etc.

There are loads of dead trucks, tanks/AFV's etc. in there but you are not allowed to touch them (when we run events we get in trouble if kids climb on them!). There are a couple of footpaths that run across it, and all the locals use it for dog walking etc. when the MOD aren't doing anything, so you're free to wander in & look around (just don't block the gate with your car, and don't park inside the gate if it's open as the ranger will just lock you in!)

I know the AWDC (All Wheel Drive Club) run occasional "heavy" play days where you can bring anything (tanks regularly turn up) and drive it round. Those of you with vehicles weighing under 3.5 tonnes should be welcome to join & play with the Shire Land Rover Club which is local and regularly uses these sites (I'm a member so I'm biased ;) ) - although they're a LR club they aren't snobbish and will allow anyone to join, you just get a bit more stick if you get a Jeep stuck than a LR :-D

Those looking to have a play "off road" could do worse than run a green lane day across Salisbury Plain - the are loads of tracks which are legally public highway, although a map & GPS & a good knowledge of what's legal or not is strongly advised, as is contacting the range wardens in advance. If your vehicle is road legal there's no reason it can't be out there driving on the unmade public highway.

Today's trivia fact is that Slab was used in the opening of a recent Bond film where he's in a hovercreaft being shot at / chased by Vietnamese(?) soldiers.

Here's some photos & a video from a play day we ran at Slab. I wasn't really looking at the green stuff so a lot of it is a bit incidental...

Something went wrong...

IMG_0042_web.jpg

Jen_IMG_1096.jpg

Jen_IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_0043_web.jpg

IMG_0045_web.jpg

Today's trivia fact is that Slab was used in the opening of a recent Bond film where he's in a hovercreaft being shot at / chased by Vietnamese(?) soldiers.

Sorry to have to correct you, I watched some of the filming of the opening scene of the Bond film, "Die another day" it was actually shot on the much larger Long valley training area/vehicle test site near Aldershot, not Slab common Bordon

and very spectacular it was too in usual Bond style..watch here....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrfObAiYrHY

And further trivia, the also spectacular opening battle scene in "Gladiator" with Russell Crowe was shot on Forestry commission land just up the road from Slab common near Farnham, Surrey!!

We ran the first AWDC events at Slab over 38 years ago! including the first ever Heavy vehicle trials, also held at other sites further down the road at Weaversdown and at Bovington, which after being reported on by an enthusiastic French car magazine journalist were the inspiration for the start of the Europa truck trials !

http://www.europatrucktrial.org/

Edited by Nick Johns

Well, most of this shouldn't be described as "scrap" but it's definitely in a yard and I reckon some of them are relics:

doka_IMG_2495.JPG

doka_IMG_2496.JPG

doka_IMG_2497.JPG

doka_IMG_2498.JPG

All "spotted" like sitting ducks at PADH in Germany picking up Jez's Iveco Magirus Deutz 110-17AW seen in the background, and a lovely truck it is too.

He even has a LWT Landy and a green goddess both going mouldy. The old Deutz & Merc fire engines he has are beautiful trucks (wood panel interior) we were both wishing we had a good reason to buy them.

Since I was wandering round with dolly, here's some photomagraphical records of our adventures this morning:

Lots of tank wheels (there are some pallets of intact/new ones visible later on, they've got stacks of them)

Image055.jpg

Image056.jpg

Not sure what this is the back end of but the axles are BIG toploaders.

Image057.jpg

An actual STEAM roller in need of a polish:

Image058.jpg

Looks like the front half of something that was NATO green;

Image059.jpg

It's got 6 wheels and it's ugly:

Image060.jpg

It's got 4 wheels and is really, really ugly:

Image061.jpg

Image062.jpg

Old Bedford, very ratty round the cab but looks like everything's there:

Image063.jpg

A big Petrol lump out of something, it's got a Rolls Royce sticker on it.

Image064.jpg

Image065.jpg

Assorted stuff including a beige Morris Marina (mmmmm) and in the background stacks of new tank wheels:

Image066.jpg

Big scammel, looks in good condition (in fact looks like it drove in there):

Image067.jpg

Bridge laying thing, you won't lose it in a multi-storey car park:

Image069.jpg

Image070.jpg

Not at all ugly and I want one.

Ugly can be beautiful - but let's face it, it's not exactly an Aston Martin is it? :whistle:

If you are interested I think they have some or all of the bits to tug aircraft around the place. There's also a frickin' massive winch (still welded into a section of chassis from something, NATO hitch and all!) which could be handy on a wrecker.

They were cutting up a couple of tanks too, no idea what they were (my skills are weak) but the more intact one had the engine still in it (looked like a turbo diesel), both had all the wheels & sprockets & tracks.

They were cutting up a couple of tanks too, no idea what they were (my skills are weak) but the more intact one had the engine still in it (looked like a turbo diesel), both had all the wheels & sprockets & tracks.

Where is this yard? Are they friendly? If I phone up and ask them if they have xyz will they be interested in selling bits?

Hirst get lots of MOD bits and bobs, they are quite sympathetic in terms of not wanting to just melt down everything in fact they want the Scammell to go to a home in one lump, apparently it cant go back onto the road as the MOD sold it as scrap (?) but should anyone need a complete vehicle is sat there and looks like it would fire up with fresh fuel and some batteries.

it looked like a Scorpion they were chewing on, the engine bay is still fully populated and at the rate they are chewing through it its going to be some time before they fully destroy it.

Theres 16x20 tyres, 14x20s (set of 4), Nato "brick" batteries (the square 100Ah jobbies), and plenty of piles of gears/sprockets etc from driven wheels, tank treads... all sorts.

The yard is open during the week or on Saturday between 9 and 12, they seem ok with having a meander about providing you ask first, pick up a high vis and dont seem like a liability, nice fellas :-)

• 1 month later...

the six wheeled thing isn't ugly,:nono: it didn't choose to be designed that way!,:nono: it is a long-lost brother (or sister!), of my lovely saracen.....wonder if it thinks you are ugly!.....:-\

83 BA 78 in Arena Overlord 2009.jpg