Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry looking Volvo was sheeted up ten years ago when I moved to Lincolnshire, and I first spotted it, but in the passing years the sheet has rotted off and the Volvo has gone into serious decline. I spoke to the ownner at the weekend, but got the usual, It's not high on my priorities, I haven't really thought what I am doing with it, it isn't hurting stood there cr&p, It nneds saving but I guarantee it will be rust in ten years time....

People like that, after having their vehicles put into care, should be placed on a special register.

sc002d4726.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Go round with a clip board remind him he doesnt have a waste licence,ask him if he would like the councill to dispose of it,to prevent a fine.If that doesnt work kick him in the nuts.:rofl:I was involved with R Beddell and P foley who brought the first ones into the country.They do need a diesel

engine.Great vehicle lock both diffs and hang on.:cool2:

I stand corrected, it's a 434. I've no idea if it's still there, I've not been up there for years. Certainly it had a lot of good spares still attatched. Anyone on here near Stirling fancy nipping up and see if it's still there?

It has a crane, but I don't know if it's a REME one.

PM me the details and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
That's an FV434, and it's a real shame to see such a useful vehicle in that state. Is it still there?

I know where there are at least 5 432s/434s in better state than that, along with a fair few Snatch landies. Unfortunately they're right in the middle of a heavily guarded defense site :stop:

Gods know what happened to them but they're really smashed up and all painted yellow so it's a fair bet they came back from the sandpit...as freight :(

Next time I'm there I'll try and get some reg numbers / callsigns.

Stone

Here's one seen recently - despite a serious attempt at disguising the old girl's origins, a couple of clues remain :???

Anyone worried about their lack of sheet metal skills will have their confidence boosted by looking at the flaring of bonnet to cab on this truck, formerly in French civilian use.

DSC03188.jpg

Here's one seen recently - despite a serious attempt at disguising the old girl's origins, a couple of clues remain :???

Anyone worried about their lack of sheet metal skills will have their confidence boosted by looking at the flaring of bonnet to cab on this truck, formerly in French civilian use.

Looks like it needed a lot of extra cooling around the engine, holes in the bonnet side panels. No radiator visible up front so I'm guessing it's got a Deutz air cooled diesel in there.

Flaring at rear could be a result of the old petrol lump going pop and exiting to the rear,taking the original bulkhaed and cab with it.

Found these pics on another forum. Taken in a yard somewhere in Devon..ill try and get a bit more info!

Looks very similar to the FWD SUCOE thats for sale in Milweb.

Theres also a civvi Maggy Deutz in the yard as well.

scrapyard16.jpg

scrapyard19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an old Mack, slumbering away in East Anglia. The front winch has a hefty hydraulic drive taken from a concrete mixer truck barrel. The rear body looks like it was the original fitment, not a replacement job :confused:

The cab looks familiar but I just can't place it - military origin perhaps? The doors and quarterlight should give it away. The windscreen has been replaced at some stage, original was probably rectangular. Any ideas?

I'm led to believe this truck may be broken for scrap soon, anybody need any driveline parts?

DSC03186.JPG

The cab looks familiar but I just can't place it - military origin perhaps? The doors and quarterlight should give it away. The windscreen has been replaced at some stage, original was probably rectangular. Any ideas?

The cab looks like it might have come off a Leyland Martian.

I have known of this vehicle for many years but got the oppurtunity to photograph it this morning, it is a GM Product in pretty poor condition

My area is British WW2 so I would welcome feedback on the vehicle as to its

rarity and model type

Cheers

IMG00178.jpg

IMG00179.jpg

would welcome feedback on the vehicle as to its rarity and model type

This is a Canadian Military Pattern vehicle, built by Chevrolet, a brand of General Motors Canada. Based on the Chevrolet Gun Tractor (CGT) 101" wb chassis, a small number was built as a 2-pdr AT Gun Portee. They were fitted with the second model cab, the No.12, placing it in the ca. 1941 timeframe. Pic below shows what they looked like after assembly in the UK. Full story in one of the back issues of Wheels & Tracks magazine; more pics and info over on the Maple Leaf Up Forum.

As for rarity, a fair number somehow has survived. An identical vehicle was offered for sale recently on this site. Maybe the former owner is willing to let us know how much he sold it for?

Nice find, I hope it will be rescued for restoration someday soon!

- Hanno

portee.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Just heard some bad news today about how scrap prices affect the future of classic and vintage trucks.

I rang David Crouch this morning in an attempt to find a turbo for our EC12 ERF. While I was on the phone to him, I sked him if he had any of the old WD HD23 N's (Albion) still laying around. He had three or four when I bought my donor Albion from him, but he said he didn't have them any more as they were cut up when the price of scrap rocketed a year or so ago.

I told him I was after a spare wheel carrier for mine. He said they hadn't got any and were having to make them up as they wanted one for a MK 1 Militant. The Militant one is almost identical to the one I wanted.

I suppose theres two ways of looking at this sad situation. On one hand there are only seven HD23 N's (Long wheelbase) on the Albion register so parts are now even more scarce and more valuable which is bad news for people like myself when I'm trying to keep the cost down. On the other hand I have the only known HD 23 S, (Short wheelbase) so I suppose the value of that could now be much higher than it would have been. As they say.... You win some and you lose some.

Still a crying shame. I still haven't heard from the chap in West Sussex with the HD 23N. He was trying to put an AEC 760 into his. What worries me is that he too was a scrap dealer, so I'm wondering if he pulled it all apart, lost interest and scrapped that too. I did try to buy it off of him when he had it for sale, so I hope he's still got it. I would happily buy it from him dismantled, especially as I may soon have a spare engine if I can get the donor engine sorted. Rather than rob it of parts; I'd be happier to get that one back in running order, especially as it was in such good condition.

Life can be so unfair at times. :-(

Hello has all. Still places that I discover and which with fure and has measurement of its reading return to me sick has to see a glorious past under the weight of the load qu' they could carry or tractor draw and let them die thus. J' in profits to renew my research d' a vehicle Scammell Pioneer SV2S for l' to be essential in France in order to restore it and of being able to make him traverse the roads of Normandy.