Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There we loads, I would say off my childhood memory around 30 vehicles and stacks on bits and oddss... another shame. prob scrapped when he Died

hi paul,

having been born and bred in hadlow down, geralds yard was next to hut lane which was ideal for go carts and when we had crashed or broke them we would play in and around the lorrys and cars until gerald saw you and shouted and swore at you to go :shake:

when gerald died his sister got planning for some houses on the site and everything in it went very quickly

did you know gerald had a heinkel 111 prop in the backroom of the pub which he nicked from a local crash before the army arrived my dad saw him carrying it on his back up the lane :sweat:

Its a shame how a collection was most probably destroyed.

I never knew about the Heinkel! but that does not suprise me! I still know Dawn his sister I wonder if she has the prop still? she is very good friends with my mother.

Richard, the vehicles accross the road? where abouts? I dont recall them?

I know the field and the rallye from my youth, but did i miss the "interesting" vehicles??

Last time I was at the steam rally, about 1988 I think, they were rusty remains then, notable ones were a Tilling Stevens searchlight lorry and cab chassis of a rare Dodge WK60 brakedown gantry. The Dodge has gone to a friend who is restoring one and I think the Tilling went years ago if I recall.

You might not have given these a second glance, Paul.

Chances are I didnt. I would have seen them at that date for sure.

I think at the age of 10-11(1988) I would only have noticed the typical "green machine" armour and things with guns on.

Shame I would love to go back and have a look around Geralds yard! more so as he was a family friend he would have let me.

But there are many things I wish I had taken more notice of! or indeed bought/kept!

yes the wonderful thing called hindsight i walked passed, played by, in, his scrap yard and i can hardly remember what vehicles were in it, i do remember the hippo, aec, fordson major and a couple of volvo cars

as i grew up and started drinking in the pub talking to gerald i always found him very knowledgeable on most things mechanical and also the stars and planets to which i owe him my limited understanding of them

he also had a prop off a sopwith pup or camel, and his real passion was aircraft, he was one of the villages greatest personalitys and is sorely missed

richard, as for stinkers park most of the pieces :-D have found new homes or being restored by the trust, there is a bren gun carrier for sale there, it needs full restoration :sweat:to say the least

regards

richard, as for stinkers park most of the pieces :-D have found new homes or being restored by the trust, there is a bren gun carrier for sale there, it needs full restoration :sweat:to say the least

Graham,

I do recollect a Carrier there, the time I went, it had been converted to a diesel, with 4D or Major engine, pretty rough then, but driving.

Graham,

I do recollect a Carrier there, the time I went, it had been converted to a diesel, with 4D or Major engine, pretty rough then, but driving.

thats the good one with the major engine :-D if you think thats rough you want to see the other one :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
The New Inn was perfect, not many pubs with a yard like that attached nowadays, but you had to watch were you walked in the bar in case your foot went down a rotten hole!

Brilliant Pub,............:-D although not visited since Geralds passing,...........don't think it would be the same, somehow........

A work colleague of mine has just sent me a picture of a field in West Germany ( formerly a US Army training facility but now just open fields and open to the public ), in which sit 24 x M47 Patton tanks slowly going to rack and ruin. They can be clearly seen on Google earth at location 52°52'8.66"N

7°26'13.59"E and in the attached images.

The vehicles appear to have been wired up, possibly for some kind of laser firing training system?

The nearest town is Sogel in Lower Saxony.

Anyone know anything more?

14503589.jpg

M47's at Sogel.jpg

Sogel M47's.jpg