30 year MOT exemption.

Hi all.

I was talking to somebody the other day and he was adamant that the government were adopting a 30 year old exemption from MOT testing. He also was certain that there is a rolling 40 year licencing fee exemption permanently in place.

Does anyone else know anything one way or another ???:undecided:

Hi all.

I was talking to somebody the other day and he was adamant that the government were adopting a 30 year old exemption from MOT testing. He also was certain that there is a rolling 40 year licencing fee exemption permanently in place.

Does anyone else know anything one way or another ???:undecided:

At the moment MOT exemption applies to pre 1960 vehicles, The 30 year rolling MOT exemption is an EU directive proposal for member states to adopt, as it will need a change in UK Law it was up for consultation, the law changes are to come by 2018, so nothing happening for a few years if it does become accepted. Result of the consultation and decision to be announced so nothing definate yet.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/classic-mot/

As of April 2015 the 40 year rolling Historic road tax exemption is now operating

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/293910/TIIN_2507_8011_40_year_rolling_exemption_for_classic_vehicles_.pdf

Edited by Nick Johns

Thank you for clarifying that Nick. It would be nice if they did implement both of them. Making a rolling exemption for both MOT and Tax would make sense to me.

Read my post again, the rolling 40 year historic exempt road tax IS already implemented Now

Edited by Nick Johns

I assume with no MOT the vehicle still has to be road worthy, but how do you prove this with no MOT. can you just buy an old (pre 1960) vehicle and drive it home ?

The vehicle has to be roadworthy, as does any vehicle!! So yes you can buy a pre 1960 vehicle and provided it is roadworthy drive it home

I assume with no MOT the vehicle still has to be road worthy, but how do you prove this with no MOT. can you just buy an old (pre 1960) vehicle and drive it home ?

The driver is responsible to keep the vehicle in a road worthy condition, you can still voluntarily MOT an Historic vehicle for peace of mind

If you read the wording, an MOT is 'At the time of examination' a few minutes after and you could be unroadworthy. I had one Sherpa van, got it tested, drove back to base about ten minutes. Drove into the yard and hit the fence. A brake line had blown.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Police can ask for an MoT test on an exempt vehicle if they suspect it of being dangerous and if it fails, charge the owner.

Dont know about that, but the police can take the vehicle away to be examined either by themselves or a contractor or get DVSA to examine it

Remember the DVSA can stop any motor vehicle and give it the once over. Seen this at Strensham services one morning when they were pulling cars and caravans

Police and Ministry. I rememebr an event in London where about 280.000 people marched, a lot coming in by coach. The Ministry decuided they'd have a full scale effort. . A record number of PG9 (Phrohibited Vehicle Notice number 9 ie It don't move!) Recovery companies still call it the Money Print Day

• 2 months later...

Just looking into all the stuff on the net relating to the DVLA and 'reconstructed' vs 'restored' historic and classic vehicles lately...

The Historic vehicle classification is, in theory, void the moment you put a replica or new-manufactured or newer original component on your 1940's Jeep.

Once you do that, the vehicle is no longer 'original' and has to be re-registered and the year it will be registered as will be the year of the newest component you have fitted (assuming you have only fitted original newer parts that are at least 25 years old!). If you have fitted any new replica or new manufactured components, it gets a Q plate. (and to get the Q plate you have to get type approval and pass a Basic IVA inspection?)

That's my understanding anyway. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

I assume that the 'component' has to be something relatively major like steering/chassis/engine/transmission/suspension/chassis etc and not a spark plug.

This appears to be being applied not only to new registrations but also to existing vehicles 'of interest'. So far this has been Bugatti resto's that are really more like replicas due to the large number of new parts fitted...

I would guess 'old' landrovers and jeeps that have new parts fitted will be next...

Edited by BRDM Driver

A lot of NOS parts will get found, most new items but aged to look right. A no MOT on 30+ vehicles is a good idea.

Get more testers a job pulling people over for a check on a parking lot. Failure to have a road worthy vehicle means you lost it or if you can, have it trailered away.

Another thread being scare mongered to death.

Relax dudes changing a light bulb does not and never will mean your vehicle is not original.... Its maintenance....

changing the engine to one completely different and then its up to the courts to decide, not keyboard warriors on here.

Your opinion like mine is an opinion not law and do you really think VOSA or the feds will be bothered if your leyland Hippo now has a Rolls royce eagle fitted?

Only if its done badly and isn't safe /roadworthy.... that's the gotcha... safe or roadworthy.

Another thread being scare mongered to death.

Relax dudes changing a light bulb does not and never will mean your vehicle is not original.... Its maintenance....

changing the engine to one completely different and then its up to the courts to decide, not keyboard warriors on here.

Your opinion like mine is an opinion not law and do you really think VOSA or the feds will be bothered if your leyland Hippo now has a Rolls royce eagle fitted?

Only if its done badly and isn't safe /roadworthy.... that's the gotcha... safe or roadworthy.

One would have assumed that VOSA and other Gov bodies would not be interested in very expensive, professional, safe Bugatti builds but they are... Absolutely nothing to do with roadworthyness and ALL to do with originality and people owning vehicles that are registered as pre 1960 that have had a substantial amount of (or one - depending on how you read it) new parts fitted...

I'm not scare mongering here, just trying to understand what's going on... I only found this stuff out from the Classic Car / Hot Rod forums and took a look here to see if anyone has picked up on it.

Clearly the Bugatti thing is all about restorers creating 'new' original cars out of a few old bits to make money and VOSA have taken a dim view of it and simply enforcing the law. Unfortunately they may want to cast their net further...

The old system did allow for replacement with new parts from the same manufacturer if old parts were no longer available. So if a Land Rover circa 1960 had Girling brakes and the new type from manufactrer are Lockheed, away you go. Face it most vehicles including mine are Trigger's Brooms. Mine have Norwegian parts dated 1963, and Katy a set of new brake cylinders (Would you trust 70 year old brake parts?) Plus Katy had a major rebuild at US Ordnance plant in 1952. So what's original?