Leyland DAF 45.150 4X4 Not Popular ?

XS650

Question

9 answers to this question

the daf is a much better truck but feels plasticky and not as squaddie proof as the old Bedford. I always thought the daf was more of a road truck than off road.

rick

ps. I had 2 daf's and thought they were great

Urban myth

The Leyland was a much better truck and much better suited to the task set than either the truck it replaced (in part) or the AWD (bedford) contender in the trial.

Anyone who says different probably preferred black and white telly, telephones with dials, rickets and the ability to tell racist jokes without censure. Plus they probably never had to use one in anger. Not that the old MK was a bad truck - it wasn't. But the Leyland was streets ahead when it was tested by many many users.

I agree but I always thought the Bedford was better off road, although that might be down to the tyres and there is a lot to be said for it's simplicity. it's just a shame it was so bad to drive on the road :D

It might be down to the front axle weight - the Bedford is very light at the front compared to other trucks (and I guess the Leyland DAF)

If the front wheels stay on top of the ground the truck usually keeps going, if they start to sink in the trouble really starts.

It might be down to the front axle weight - the Bedford is very light at the front compared to other trucks (and I guess the Leyland DAF)

If the front wheels stay on top of the ground the truck usually keeps going, if they start to sink in the trouble really starts.

This is getting totally off topic now, but I find that depends on ground conditions and other factors; for example, with deep mud on a solid base it's often better to cut through the mud and get grip onto something solid rather than skating about on the surface.

This is getting totally off topic now, but I find that depends on ground conditions and other factors; for example, with deep mud on a solid base it's often better to cut through the mud and get grip onto something solid rather than skating about on the surface.

Agreed, many times the plough pan has been my friend!!

During the trials all three contenders were run against the in-service MK, and all were better off road loaded (in a range of terrains), part loaded and empty, and that was even though the replacements had more road-friendly tyres.

The Leyland Daf, being permanent 4wd, was particularly foolproof. The best of the lot though was the Volvo, with excellent gearing, near perfect weight distribution and the turning circle of a London taxi.