British WWII Lightweight 100 Gallon Water Trailers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve been lucky enough to locate another 100 gallon 10cws bowser trailer. 
It’s now joined the collection, pushed to the back off the shed for now. 
Not sure whether or not to restore or just move on? 
The bowser is only missing a few bits. Water Pump, T plate, Some of the pipe work, and rear hitch. 

E3409B6A-9376-46C3-A7C9-2FCAB2F3CE94.jpeg

CFDC2F7C-5D3F-48C0-A1E7-781427461CE3.jpeg

2DA41EC2-B665-42DA-AFC2-783245B4BC0B.jpeg

B659751F-6190-48DB-B200-07E62DA1E8D6.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/6/2022 at 8:40 AM, Rootes75 said:

Where on earth do you find them, this one looks in very good shape.

Funny really…. This one found me. I then talked myself into needing it/ buying it. 
Only when I got it home, I realised looking through old pictures, I’d missed buying this particular trailer a few years prior. 

The bowser will restore lovely or just use as is. 

11 hours ago, Jerryjeeprichard said:

Funny really…. This one found me. I then talked myself into needing it/ buying it. 
Only when I got it home, I realised looking through old pictures, I’d missed buying this particular trailer a few years prior. 

The bowser will restore lovely or just use as is. 

I am still keen on a suitable trailer to go with our 1942 Commer. I know of a water bowser locally that we are planning to look at to restore but my thoughts are the costs involved are quite high compared to that of a GS trailer, if we could find one that is.

There are practicalities with the GS trailers. The main one in that you can use it to put stuff in!! 
All that said, and as sad it sounds there’s a unique look with the water bowser. Very unusual too see at a show. 
I guess you would be looking for the 180 gallon version?
Ian L on this forum has restored the bigger trailer.
Finding all the rare parts is half the fun.
Sure it can cost few more £££, I’m of the opinion more you put in the more you get out. Whether that financial or just enjoyment. 
We all know you won’t make money from restoring🤣🤣🤣

Hi @Jerryjeeprichard

I'm not sure if you saw a thread I'd started on a British water trailer I'd seen in southern France:

These are the only photos I have, from Google earth, since it is by the roadside.

image.png.c8ac6ae819b4c413b2e382421e6a5c70.png

image.png.4a76fe3aa3040364509556298951037a.png

Since it is different in construction to yours, I guessed that it was the 100 gallon tank mounted on a Mortar trailer chassis.

I'm no expert in this, so, was I right, or is it a varient of the 100 gallon trailer? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian. 

I would say, based of what I can see. This is the 100 gallon water bowser on an original chassis. 
The bit that makes it look like a different chassis configuration is a later add on. 
The bowser chassis is unique as far as I’m aware to just the bowser…. The construction looks the same.
I have attached an image.

The bit in blue is the same on this one in France. The two bits in red have been cut off. And the additional steel frame has been retro fitted. Guessing later for maybe agricultural purposes. 

The trailer looks a very good candidate for a restoration? Assume it already belongs to a military collector. Gauging off the other trailers?? 
If not it would be nice to see someone buy it and restore it. 

I would gladly supply the missing measurements to reconstruct the bits that have been removed. 

Cracking find.!!!!

95F62817-BF14-4F29-83F8-C9896B338A83.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, a chance spot only 5 miles away from our house! I pass this place every week taking my youngest to football training, just a field of sheep grazing so you don't really take much notice...

52335911939_4d71518c8d_k.jpg

Its quite a way from the main road so I couldn't get that good a photo. But its easy to tell what it began life as.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, Rootes75 said:

So, a chance spot only 5 miles away from our house! I pass this place every week taking my youngest to football training, just a field of sheep grazing so you don't really take much notice...

52335911939_4d71518c8d_k.jpg

Its quite a way from the main road so I couldn't get that good a photo. But its easy to tell what it began life as.

No expert on these, but that looks to be the 180 gallon  water bowser stuck on what I would guess is Howard muck spreader trailer chassis. Very common conversion. 
Basically as the original trailer tyres deteriorate, being weird sizes and the fact that the water tanks will literally last forever, they would get transplanted. 

And based off the image, it’s still delivering water 70+ years on. 

Edited by Jerryjeeprichard
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi

I have the same brush and jug

They are both post war and used with water bowsers

The Jug has has NSN number 4610-99-442-1989 - MEASURE - 4610994421989 but is not stamped on it.  I believe that is very similar to one of the two types of jug used on WW2 bowsers

The brush may have part of the NSN number stamped on it 943-856 and mine is made by Wm Haywood (Maidstone) Ltd.  The company is long gone, the founder William Haywood was born in 1854. This came from the same place as the jug and some other bowser related items

Note: NSN's in the range of 4610-99-254-5019 to 4610-99-749-9024 are spare parts for water purification Equipment

Cheers

Richard

Richard, 

That’s great information, so good enough for the trailer now, I assume the jug would have been used for mixing the filtration powder? 
Brush used for cleaning the filter after use? 

For future reference have we any idea on what the wartime kit looks like. From the same source I turned up some enamel jugs, similar size and shape.  

Hi

The only pictures of the jug are

778122301_Box-11-Copy.jpg.26d9bd77f4684a700447621c6128a808.jpg

929895061_Box-12-Copy.jpg.b7ab5bb7d03146094ee4323a7bb884e2.jpg

They look to be a bit smaller in diameter and a bit taller but the basic design is the same, I believe that these are galvanised. The jug is 1/2 gallon, war time part number LV7/TR/MV/1477. A post war manual gives the galvanised 1/2 gallon jug dimensions as 6.7/8" Diameter, 3.5/8" high

The brush is too big for cleaning the filters, I believe that the smaller one in the photo below is used for that purpose

IMG_7558.thumb.JPG.e56864423f5d3053caea131a0d1e225d.JPG

There are three brushes listed on the ww2 parts list

1 off Brushes, Cleaning Tank - part number KE/0858 (I don't think that this is the brush we both have as it not long enough for my tank maybe ok for bowser trailers)

1 off Brushes, Water Carriage - part number KE/0891 (not sure what they mean by water carriage, may be all the external pipe work, so the brush we both have may be this one)

2 off Brushes, Filter Cleaning - part number :LV7/TR/SR/43 (the one on the left ?) [this part is also referenced in a post war bowser parts list]

Cheers Richard

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Would the hoses have been left attached during transport or stowed away in lockers when not in use?

I assume there would be shutoff valves etc in place to isolate the bowser? Or would everything be lifted/pumped through the filter as it was required?

Interesting things these small self contained systems, and all important things in the grand scheme!

Alec.

Hi Alec, 

That’s a good question and one I’ve pondered over. 

I have seen a few period pictures of the 100 gallon trailer in use, unfortunately all from the rear, so it’s not clear if these were disconnected, 

I do have manual on the 100, and have very detailed parts list and schematics on how the pipe work is set up,  from this I have managed to accurately lay out 90% of the pipe work as it would have been originally. 

It’s all designed to be stripped down, stowed

I think the pipe work hanging under the trailer, is highly likely to get caught and ripped off if the trailer is in transit, you would think this would be removed and stowed away in the transit box. 

5CC7A004-EE8F-4BDD-A892-AD30B26539D5.jpeg

E04ACF48-0DE1-42E1-8089-45D46F06446C.jpeg

7E5328F9-1AEF-4D35-A4A2-5AA769CC5E5A.jpeg

F90B2C17-DAEE-4A7E-9C2E-B3CF18813F78.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jerryjeeprichard said:

I think the pipe work hanging under the trailer, is highly likely to get caught and ripped off if the trailer is in transit, you would think this would be removed and stowed away in the transit box. 

Blanking caps and drain taps, it looks like it right enough 🤔

Alec.

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure you're sending out quite the right message attaching them to a water bowser!  They are actually for vehicles which have had their radiators drained.  Before the universal introduction of antifreeze it was commonplace for vehicles to have their radiators drained overnight and when not in use to prevent damage from freezing - you'll notice quite a lot of older military vehicles had drain taps and markings pointing out where they were.  The custom died out.  Later on, in very cold climates, a jar of diluted anifreeze would be positioned on the windowsill of the unit guardroom.  If that started to thicken, then duty drivers would be called out to start engines of vulnerable vehicles.  It didn't happen very often.

• Like 5