Upottery airfield 28/29 july - 101st guys and MV's wanted.....

Robin Gilbert i personally would like to thank you for all your time and effort in helping to putting together this very rare occasion , as without your efforts i would not of been able to take this picture taken at dusk on upotterys main runway...what a beautiful and special moment this was for me....one that will stay with me forever......i felt like i had just stepped back in time...truly a very special and rare occasion.............Thankyou Robin............Lawson

width=640 height=480http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/Lawson67/DSC00497.jpg[/img]

Very well said Lawson, The C47 and the 101'st guy's went sooo well together and the excursion out to the sentry box on Sunday to lay wreaths made it all the more real for me and was very moving......................

Congrats to putting on a show like that as said above, if only people knew how hard it is to get this sort of equipment in the right place at the right time they might appreciate it all the more......

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robin,

I could not make the event but please don't be put off doing another one just because one person didn't enjoy it after giving it a whole 1hr 30 Min's. It looks like the MV owners and re-enactors enjoyed themself anyway and i look forward to see more pictures of the show.

Maybe when Mr Anthony Wade decides to put a show on you can go judge his show, he will then see what it takes to organise a show and the hard work that goes into it.

I'll second every word of the above;

Andy

Hi all,

This is my first and hopefully not my last post on your wonderfull forum.

Introduction: I'm the captain and chairman of the Screaming Eagles living history group, you may have seen us over the weekend, yes we were the guys superglued to the C47!

We had our monthly meeting tonight and discussed the event, we started by teasing the guys who didnt go, we had a lap top with the Blitz and Peaces photos on a slideshow, a lot of green faces.

Even though the event programme wasnt as full as the advertising, weather had a lot to do with that, we all though that a hell of a lot of effort and planning went into it, BRAVO! We also wernt sure what to think about a "battle" with radio controlled aircraft, as it happened that was fun and a great excuse to make some noise.

The boys really enjoyed the hog roast, a shame not to many people turned up, weather again i suppose. The evening was a great success on our part, even when the lights were turned off they still kept partying, that says a lot for the freindly company we had.

We all woke up with bad heads but to our amazment the weather had turned again, a beutiful day.

So, back to our meeting, all said they would turn out again, all they need is a time and date. The event has so much potential, we will be activley pushing other airborne groups to consider attending, this is after all our "Mecca". After talking to various people and hoping that we can billett next to the runway and maybe dig in, it can only be better next time. I truly hope the rumour of two C47's will come true.

In all we had a blast, we were welcomed like old buddys, we had fun and all on what we call hallowed ground.

I'd just like to say that I drove my jeep and trailer down from Farnham in Surrey, a 240 mile round trip, do i get a prize for the sorest backside? Will I do it next time? You betcha.

Anthony Wade, if you've got a gripe, take it up with us, everybody else is busy putting on the next show youre not welcome to.

Before I go, I'd like to thank the vehicle owners who took us down to the memorial, espiecially the loverly couple who took me in thier Dodge command car, sorry I didnt have time to chat to you again.

Thanks all,

Dave Allaway.

Hi Dave,

welcome to the Forum, good to hear the negative coments hasn't put you off doing it again, Im sure the turn out will be much higher next time :-D

If your lads ever fancy a trip to Essex there's always our annual show held in May...

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=76

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=4339.msg38457#msg38457

Hi dave thanks for your comments...it was great to see you and you guys there around the C-47 ,, and all your tents in a row was lovley to see to as it really set the atmosphere there this weekend....your guys just walking around the airfield was a real treat to see also...I am sure next year will be even bigger .. .. the airfield has so much history and is in such great condition so as you have already said the potential is massive..I feel it could become one of the best shows in the yearly calender....I lookforward to seeing you all there next year....I have a feeling its going to be one Not to miss.......Lawson

Hi Dave and Lawson, to read your thoughts on the Upottery event makes me feel a lot better, also the response I have had from Charles D.Young the son of the CO 439th Troop carrier Group and other veterans. One thing is for sure from an historical angle it was a huge success. Charles Young has sorted the video footage Jacks as well and it is racing around the world including Holland.

some time we must talk if you want to get on that field again

please email me when you get the chance. // Robin

some time we must talk if you want to get on that field again

please email me when you get the chance. // Robin

Great news Robin - I will put a proposal on a Word Doc of my ideas and thoughts and get it over to you. Had a very interesting conversation last night concerning 'more' C47's :whistle:

Jack.