Upottery airfield 28/29 july - 101st guys and MV's wanted.....

A great pleasure to have you here Robin and your dedication to the cause is commendable.

Folks - take advantage of Robin knowledge of the airfields of the South West.....having been born and raised in the area he is a first hand historian!

Thanks Robin and again good to have you and is there any truth in the 'Yanks' burying loads of equipment at Upottery when they left??

Take care

Jack

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have to drag my hungover sunburned backside downcountry again to come to this one... looks too good to pass up!

Didn't want any money in my wallet anyway ;-)

Oh yes! Come on down Bodge and come stay at camp Upottery.......or in the back of the GMC

What is the procedure for this show do we need to sign in or is it a case of just turning up !!!!!!!

When is best to arrive Sat morning or Fri night ??

Hi Rich

That would be great and we will more than likely go down on the friday so perhaps we can meet up at Blandford or Dorchester. Pretty much come as you are.............

More suspense this morning it is over cast with gusts of wind of up to 25mph so the visit that was to take place to inspect the runways at Upottery by the pilot who will fly the C/47 has been put off until next week. One thing is for sure the weather always has the last word !!

As yet we have no plans for camping on the Friday night but we shall be about and working there and all being well I shall have my sons caravan up there. for those wishing to come in on Friday I feel sure we will accommodate. But If you do come early you could get roped into help out. I know from last year that you guys normally muck in, I recall two guys coming in the night before the event last year and I was concerned for the security of a Spitfire that we had parked up, I slept easy knowing their was a couple of lads in a small tent right beside it. Cheers Robin -- email robin273@btinternet.com

More suspense this morning it is over cast with gusts of wind of up to 25mph so the visit that was to take place to inspect the runways at Upottery by the pilot who will fly the C/47 has been put off until next week. One thing is for sure the weather always has the last word !!

As yet we have no plans for camping on the Friday night but we shall be about and working there and all being well I shall have my sons caravan up there. for those wishing to come in on Friday I feel sure we will accommodate. But If you do come early you could get roped into help out. I know from last year that you guys normally muck in, I recall two guys coming in the night before the event last year and I was concerned for the security of a Spitfire that we had parked up, I slept easy knowing their was a couple of lads in a small tent right beside it. Cheers Robin -- email robin273@btinternet.com

Me i would of gone one better sitting in side it all nightmaking aircraft noises and going rraaaatatttt art tat ta tat till i fell asleep :-D

Ashley

I am pleased to tell all concerned that around 11am this morning a small Piper Cub drifted into Upottery at the controls was the pilot of our Dakota C/47. The news is good IT WILL BE LANDING AT UPOTTERY weather permitting, This will be the first return of a C/47 since the end of the second World War and the first one belonging to the 439th Troop Carrier Group to touch down on the Upottery runway since Oct 1944. The only sad thing to report is that Cecil Petty the C.O of the 92nd Squadron who flew it on the D-day run and most of the other combat missions passed away in February, but not before he had seen some recent pictures of his old plane, his wife said it made him very happy to know that it was still operational. We are not sure if the plane will be in on the Saturday they have yet to find a qualified copilot for that day, but it will be in on the Sunday, subject to old uncle weather. If you come down on the Friday evening can I promote the Sidmouth Arms Upottery, the Land Lord is an ex Marine and son of one of the farmers who has given us the use of his land for the event, they will be running the bar on the Saturday evening on the airfield. A collection of ex USA vehicles would make a nice photo call down in the village

Regarding coming down it would help us if you rang Steve on 01404 46118 If you just turn up we are not likely to turn you away. It is a fun weekend all military vehicles are welcome what ever era. Robin

Congratulations Robin - that is awesome news!

I will get everyone/thing rounded up at my end and pass everything on down to Steve - hope his back is better :whistle:

Sorry, but this is amazing - can't wait for that!

I have suggested else where that us MV owners have have a road run out with the airborne guys and others folk to the pub at Upottery - a beautiful setting.

I will get to it.

Kind regards.

Jack,

Yep should be there :-D possibly the family as well.

Ashley

great work gents!

I spoke to the 101st guys today as I would like to show the 1st and 2nd episodes of BoB - to get us in the mood..........and drink some beer.

Great to see your interest, any one got a Tilly? Austin or Hillman I have yet to see one turn up at one of our events. What happened to all the old Ford V8's

we had them in Germany 1956, engine sounds were great but it seemed to be a gutless wonder compared to the old screaming Bedford Q L. I am still grieving they just gave me a pair of boots. no truck not even a tank, mind you we did spend some time with the 9th Lancers riding on the back of Centurions, come to think of it, that was the worst lifts I ever had!

Looks like I will be coming too!

Huzzah!!!!! My lovely babysitter!!!!!!!!!!

Actually we are going to try and get my mum to have the children for the weekend so we can be adults like the rest of you :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I might be able to stop by at some stage. I understand that some friends will be nearby that weekend camping with their green machines before going to Branscombe air day on the Sunday and were looking for something to do on the Saturday. What time is the C47 due to fly in?

Tim (too)

• 2 weeks later...