Can anyone ID this carrier please ?

Mark Pearson

Serial numbers on front upper armour (inside passenger side) if anyone can help please ? SW = sentinel Wagon 1942 ??

It looks more like S&J, which is the same as the individual armour plates on the Daimler Dingo hull. I am sure this is the steel maker, Spear & Jackson. Number above it would be the part number of the plate, would think it is TL .... maybe the T stamp is feint?

Edited by Richard Farrant

TL3885 is the part number. Was hoping to identify the carrier TL number. Im guessing its British part not Canadian ? I do have the hull but not sure where to look for this particular number to ID it :blush:. Was told it may be a scout carrier.

Much help appreciated. :-D

Edited by Mark Pearson

TL3885 is the part number. Was hoping to identify the carrier TL number. Im guessing its British part not Canadian ? I do have the hull but not sure where to look for this particular number to ID it :blush:. Was told it may be a scout carrier.

Much help appreciated. :-D

Spear & Jackson is / was a British company from Sheffield, the individual plate marking is identical to the ones used on wartime Daimler armoured vehicles, excepting they had their own part or drawing number on them.

I thought the Scout Carrier was discontinued before the date of that plate (1942) ?

Edited by Richard Farrant

It's the part number for that particular armour panel, each panel will have its own number, sometimes with a (D) for drilled. Richard has the initials correct I believe. The parts book will reveal all.

If you don't have a brass makers plate or any painted ID then you're out of luck trying to identify the hull of a British made carrier, they didn't stamp them!!

A Bren or Scout will have a diffent upper and lower armour layout to a Universal, the floor is also different. Post a photo and I'll show you what you have. Any pre universal carrier was long out of production by 1942.

Is this from one of your three hulls Mark?

Ben

There is a Large red painted ID number on the side of the hull, I think it reads D16. The front armour is also fixed plate like the others I have, and also like the scout carriers shipped here during the war. I thought the UK stopped production of carriers in 41 ? and transferred production to Canada (Ford) ??

Post some photos!

As as far as I'm aware no Scouts were sent to NZ, they did get some Brens and Universals. A Scout doesn't have fixed armour, it has the folding type. Sounds like another MK1.

Britain didn't stop making carriers they just started making them in Canada too.

looking forward to the photos..........

Ben