Leyland Martian

Cant advise on the Reccy version but had a Arty tractor back in 80's converted and used in civvy recovery , pics on martian gallery (pg5) . The B81 was adequate for anything as long as you were not in a real hurry , I was regularly called to Fish hill to tow stalled modern trucks UP the hill :laugh: which it did effortlessly without their engines in drive. Mpg was 3 to 5 . Cruise speed was 40/45 just below rev limiter. Fitting a diesel doesn't really work , after I sold mine it was converted to diesel and I have since learned later it was cut up as diesel conversion made it just about unusable (slow) . The furthest tow was about 60 miles back from London with an artic tipper. The big tip for martian users is in respect of the transfer box, before going out especially in cold weather is start engine and let warm up with main gearbox in 3rd and transfer box in neutral to get the oils pumped round the trans mission . The 3 speed transfer box is set up as high then medium (both for road usage) and then it jumps to low low there being no low ! To get low low it has to be in 6wd to spread the torque. My experience is that it will pull anything (including loaded antar) just not rapidly :D

please correct me if i'm wrong. I think the M5 one with the twin boom gear was one of about 5 SWB cargo's converted in the late 60's, I had the remains on one from behind the Hungry horse on the A47 near Dearham, was it a Vass conversion? gone but not forgotten.jpg top and bottom picture, just mentally add, a twin boom wrecker in the gap between the cab and the rear deck and it matches the one on the M5.

I assumed you meant working civilian recoveries based on the Martian, you are correct about the twin boom gear. L W Vass did indeed offer conversions, somewhere there is a scan of an original advert of theirs with some good pictures. It also included an offer on Dyson 32 wheel trailers, IIRC £2000 each or 3 for £5000.

I assumed you meant working civilian recoveries based on the Martian, you are correct about the twin boom gear. L W Vass did indeed offer conversions, somewhere there is a scan of an original advert of theirs with some good pictures. It also included an offer on Dyson 32 wheel trailers, IIRC £2000 each or 3 for £5000.

Hi I was referring to the twin boom conversations, as i had kind of half of one.

sorry recovery vehicle is the body type im after.

20 Ton, i see, i had read it as 40t single line strait pull..

is the hydraulic system all off the shelf?

im guessing with a bespoke transfer box and it being a problem at road speeds [35-40mph] im guessing you need to low loader the Truck if you going any great distance?

what's your experience?

I drove one from Pembroke Dock to Soltau and back and towed Martian Gun Tractors or a 5.5 in gun most of the way. about 750 miles each way.

Quite a mixed bag of comments regarding these trucks, however ive now seen one up close and im totally sold on the idea...

Research is on going but I want a recovery [b81 powered] purely as a Toy, with the aim of working the show's in the Midlands as well as the fun/interest of maintain a truck of this type.

My 109" FV18067 is pretty well sorted as a camper now and im looking for a new home hopeing to be all set within 6months... So if you hear of one going, please drop me a PM. Thanks for all the useful info.

Sam.

Edited by Samro

I have to say that following a Martian recovery up a moderately steep hill - this year or at the end of 2015 - was a very frustrating business!

Chris

Every thing about a Martian is frustrating....... That's the best thing about them.....👍🏼

• 2 years later...

Im still here :-),

Ive had a couple of goes at getting a Recovery, Since I posted there have been 3 Recovery's with B81's up for grabs and I missed 2 of them as I was out of the UK! the 3rd was in an auction in east Anglia, I had a punt but with the VAT and transport, It was just too much of a risk having not seen the truck.. [im in Glos]

Im a little dis heartened, but still very keen! Ive Cash for the right truck [Recovery with B81 in it]

If any of you know of any or have one taking up space 🙂.

Thanks for any help.

Sam.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Clutch is now free, air systems work properly, ive started on rust repair I shall update in the new year, really enjoying it was going to stop work months ago but the weather has been so mild the shed has been warm enough lol.

I shall reignight the debate on the rear prop before long... 😜

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

• Like 2

DBG high gloss, though a fair way off, well in to rust repair now, then quite a lot of wireing putting all the lights back, quite interesting the truck was wired to use traficators and seems to have been converted to use indicators when in MOD use, I have a photo posted on here showing where the lights were added... I have that work todo again lol

• 3 months later...

Hoping u chaps maybe able to point me in the right direction! I’m looking for some of the fittings for a recovery, namely the cab sun shade, the suspended tow pickup, the fire extinguisher holders and one of the hub cap a-frame pickups. None of its critical but if anyone knows of a beyond saving truck that the custodian may be open to selling bits I would be very keen! I’ve found lots of the stuff I need and the community has been great!

• 3 months later...

Shes back to DBG, still lots todo, still after the above bits... "cab sun shade, the suspended tow pickup, the fire extinguisher holders and one of the hub cap a-frame pickups"

thanks all.

66475635_725934724507937_957782096464576512_n.jpg

• Like 1

few pics of "getting there" lol sill lots of wiring and a leaky bevel box to sort! as well as swapping out some old PAS hoses. but she works 🙂 winch is lovely and now pay's on properly, and the crane is nice and smooth, its got a later hydraulic pump fitted that is leaking a bit, but im not overly concerned about it, seems to function well enough.

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

RLZW8902.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG