Household Cavalry Pageant

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letter from Major M Whatley The Life Guards.

FW: Vehicle Enthusiasts' Letter From The Commander Household Cavalry.

Colonel Paddy Tabor

Commander Household Cavalry

G4/4603 20th June 2007

Household Cavalry Pageant 2007

Now that the dust is settling on last Tuesday night’s Pageant on Horse Guards, I just wanted to ask you to pass on my thanks to all those vehicle owners and enthusiasts who helped make the Pageant the resounding success it was. There is no doubt that the sell-out crowd of just under 7000 people enjoyed a unique experience, and we very much hope that The Queen did too. Her Majesty certainly gave every indication of enjoying enormously not only the Pageant but also her all too brief visit to the Museum. Indeed, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh have asked that their heartfelt congratulations might be conveyed to all those who played a part in the production.

But there is no doubt that the appearance on the Pageant of so many historic vehicles, some seldom seen and very rare, but all cared for immaculately and with huge enthusiasm, did much to bring the evening to life. That so many owners were prepared to be present and take time out to play a part in the story we were trying to tell was a huge honour for us all. Please pass on my thanks to everyone who helped prepare, service, transport or crew the vehicles. It was a truly splendid sight which is unlikely to be repeated on Horse Guards for many years I suspect. It made the heart swell with pride to see the machines that had been operated and crewed, in my case, by my father and his contemporaries in 2HCR in Northwest Europe. I could not be more grateful for all their involvement in what was a very important event for the Household Cavalry and for the launch of the Museum. This is a major new departure for us, and the Pageant was a most public celebration of London’s newest tourist attraction. From what I have heard so far, it seemed to have been a near perfect evening, enjoyed by everyone. All in all, a triumph for the Household Cavalry and everyone involved in the project.

When all is complete, it looks as though we will have added an additional £100,000 to the Museum fund which now brings us below the £1 million we still need to collect to pay off all our borrowings. Therefore, the evening did us tremendously well. We owe all the owners and enthusiasts a huge debt of gratitude.

Major M Whatley The Life Guards

Commanding

Headquarters Company

Army Training Regiment (Pirbright)

Alexander Barracks

PIRBRIGHT

Surrey

GU24 0DT

Anybody got any pictures or know of any pictures of the vehicles going past the Queen?

Can't belive 7000 people watched and nobody had a camera!!

Barry, we've got plenty of pictures, unfortunately its a little difficult taking specific ones of going past the Queen when you are driving your vehicle. :roll:

Not sure if any of the 7000 whom attended visit here but if you take a look at the pictures Saracenstump posted you will see a couple of them going past the Queen also in the video my son took from the cab of the Stalwart. Unless anyone has any better ones :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...