Need help matching a battery

Hi Everyone,

I'm slowly fitting out my 1979 Series III 109 FFR and am trying to find a matching battery type for the Oldham HD6QB1145 batteries referred to in the User Handbook. I haven't been able to find any information on these batteries, so what do the rest of you guys use in place of them?

Cheers,

Atherton

The newest 3/4 ton 109" User Manual I have is March 1980 , after 35 years the battery numbers are long S/S

The battery you use is 069 common Defender petrol & diesel. Even used on a Ford Focus diesel.

However , originally a BS Spec. case , seems frigged by moulding with DIN style clamping facility.

They are a tight fit & you don't wish to saw/grind off feet on a new battery - so you need to actually try out at such as Halfords LoL or measure very accurate. The variations I have found across makes should not be there accoding to standards that don't seem to be applied by manufacturers.

I had this same issue some years ago with a Series III FFR. I went to the local Lucas depot and they came up with 069 as the correct replacement. I seem to remember that 072 was an alternative.

O72 has same dimensions as 069 , I think the mode is the same (this is the terminal layout code 0 or 1 and determines the position of + & - , so something else you have to watch for. 072 only has 2 Ah more (20 hr rate) but has a additional 45 CCA (cold cranking amp) cold start performance SAE. ISTR 072 is standard Classic Range Rover , good battery for under bonnet. Another good size is 096 packs a good punch but is 12mm longer and 30 mm lower (I used one of these on Rovers + as intended on a Lancia Thema). 096 is a good size because it can be used in a few car situations. Biggest underbonnet (in my case under passenger seat on a civvy 1961 109") tractor batteries sizes 643 663 & 664

A good battery that packs a BIG punch but is small is a 075 , I used a Hella Ultra Power on Fiat Uno, Punto + Lightweight. Then I used a 065 (basic petrol 4 cyl. Land Rover size) on the Punto by drilling another hole 1" further out for the base clamping.

071 is more or less a lower power 072 , Land Rover Series 3 petrol 4 cyl. application.

OK, here in the States battery sized are listed by BCI (Battery Council International) Group Number. I'm sure there's an interchange manual somewhere.

I'm a little surprised that the Amp Hour listing for the 069 is only 68, the User Handbook spec is 100. I guess it's not going to make a huge difference for me as I'm not planning on running the radio set for hours on end, but I'm wondering if there will be performance issues with the radio sets.

68 Ah @ the "20 hour rate" is in fact good for a battery of that dimension.

To obtain substantially more , then you need a "tractor battery size"

94 Ah at 20 hour rate. 620 CCA SAE = 643 battery , this is a basic Series diesel battery spec.

A true tractor battery at same size (346 x 175 x 232)

110 Ah at 20 hour rate. 680 CCA SAE , size(s) 663 & 664 , the only difference as such is the terminal mode (opposites of each other)

=================

Mate , you have it all wrong on battery 100 Ah , whatever you are reading - spend more time on swotting up.

The FFR starting batteries are a pair , each 44 Ah being ample , however due to battery improvements since late 1970's , you can yet a bigger punch from the same casing or smaller.

The 100 Ah you refer. in fact is the 2 qty RADIO STATION batteries , each rated at 100Ah , used for the FFR radio requirements if fitted - these are in fact tank starting batteries (as in MAIN BATTLE TANK)..

• 3 weeks later...

Ruxy,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've had several things going on here.

I apologize if my earlier post was poorly phrased - the batteries I'm trying to match are for the radio station. I'm in a living history group and plan to restore this Rover as a fully functional FFR. I wasn't able to find any references anywhere to the original batteries, hence the original question.

• 1 month later...