How to clean a fuel tank filled with black goo

FW200

Question

Right, I got a used fuel tank (which was supposed to be ready to use..) a while ago, and it's filled with black goo.. I've tried various things to get rid of it, such as gasoline, diesel and terpentine.. Anyone know what would work?

The fuel tank is from a gasoline vehicle :)

2014-11-29 12.24.20.jpg

5 answers to this question

I should have added the contents of this post to my first post.

The black goo is tank sealant so it is gasoline and water etc. proof.

If you are sure that the marks are rust and you bought the tank from a business and not a private seller, you should take it back and ask them to pressure test it because unless there has been some metal inside the tank since the sealant was applied the rust must have come through the sealant. If the rust marks have come through the sealant it means that the tank is ever likely to leak.

Should you decided to clean and reseal the tank yourself I would recommend NOT cutting the tank because unless you have completely purged all the gasoline vapours there is a risk of a spark or other heat source causing an explosion and serious injury or worse.

The red stuff you see is actually the original coating on the side of the tank.. It's not rust.. I have 2 original tanks that I removed from the BRDM-2 that had the coating in it as well.. (but no black goo).

It seems likely they may have resealed the tank then?

The two original tanks I had had surface rust and gasoline residue in them, so I decided to get another one and this one arrived from the czech republic. I did cut open one of the originals (rinsed it with water and put it on it's side full of water while cutting), to see how bad it actually was..

An item to note if you end up steam cleaning them, especially now as its cold up your way. The heat from the steam expands the air inside and it gets forced out.

Once you finish if a cold draft, moisture hits it the air wants to recondense rapidly but there is insufficient venting capacity and the tank vacuums. There are some quite spectacular vids on youtube. First time i ever saw a vid it was a rail fuel tanker car that after steamcleaning it is wheeled out of the cleaning shed into the cold an it instananeously turned into a pancake