FV4101 Charioteer Restoration

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lance don't be sad, you can take some comfort knowing that you played your part in saving the tank ! unfortunately your part involved spending lots of money and not enjoying it while lauren's part is going to be a bit more fun but hey man it's still a part :)

been cracking on with the basket floor mostly forming the lip top and bottom and soldering the 3/4" band around the edge which seals it. I was looking forward to doing this but I must admit it was wearing a little thin by the end of the day but it does look good and is nearly finished

WP_20150219_17_12_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20150219_17_13_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20150219_17_12_42_Pro.jpg

sean thanks for the offer of the seals but I am sorted now, unfortunately didn't manage to get any nos seals from ian galliers my local supplier has sorted it now. cheers

180 mile round trip to shrewsbury slowed me down a bit today but we should have the turret basket rebuilt and painted tomorrow and the second coat of white on the interior.

rick

going to take a month off playing with the charioteer and go back to work :cry: but the project won't stall as the electrician is due to start next week and the plan is to leave him to it and come back to it once he's finished faffing about with the electrickery. a month should be about right for him.

managed to get the interior painted and part of the turret basket rebuilt but needs a few more hours before it's ready for fitting. the new gearbox seals will arrive next week and once they are fitted the box can go back in and the hydraulics fitted and tested, once that's done and the spark has finished then it's time for the main assemblies to go back in !

last pic shows my labourer marek and his son Mateusz after a week of hard work

WP_20150221_16_10_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20150221_16_07_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20150221_16_08_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20150221_16_08_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20150221_16_10_14_Pro.jpg

Edited by eddy8men

• 3 months later...

other work commitments had to come first but like lauren said things have been going on in the background mostly electrical as the tank is having new wiring looms and the various boxes are being rebuilt. I plan on getting the gearbox in and hydraulics fitted and tested in the next few weeks but most of my time will be spent on the Cromwell getting it ready for the show season.

rick

• 1 month later...
[ATTACH]105879[/ATTACH]

Seems appropriate :)

Hi Lauren, just came across this thread great to hear/read you are keeping it a Charioteer so look forward to seeing it out and about. But aren’t you supposed to be settling into married life – regards Barry

Hi Lauren, just came across this thread great to hear/read you are keeping it a Charioteer so look forward to seeing it out and about. But aren’t you supposed to be settling into married life – regards Barry

Upper management is understanding of these things ;)

• 10 months later...

the restoration is back on after a short hibernation. we plan to have it rebuilt and running in 4 weeks time where it will make it's debut at the yorkshire wartime experience along with my cromwell, a valentine, a comet, a centurion and a chieftain. should be quite a display of british armour :)

we pushed it back into the workshop this morning and gave the engine comparment a quick clean and repaint then it was onto the main task of the day which was to replace all the engine compartment damaged hydraulic pipes and fit new steel unions. the steel had rusted right through on all the fittings and had to be heated before removal, time consuming but by the end of the day all the pipes were ready for fitting which we plan to do tomorrow along with the gearbox

Edited by eddy8men