Canvas Jeep shovel covers

Great War truck

This seems to be a new trend on restored Jeeps. It seems quite logical really. it stops the shovel from scratching the bodywork and as the shovel itself probably does not need protecting from the elements (it is a shovel after all) it would stop sunlight reflecting off of any bear metal on the shovel (assuming it was ever used).

The matter has been discussed on G503 i see and the general consensus was that they were made in France after the end of WW2 and were never actually used by the issued. There are of course lots of replicas around. I did seen a couple of very old and tatty ones (about 12 years ago) which were marked US and certainly looked very genuine.

Is there anybody who can add more or would like to disagree with this. While we are all looking for pictures of canvas buckets it might be an ideal time to look for a shovel cover photo.

Tim (too)

Hi Karoshi...started mid 80s when the trend for hanging/slinging and equipping their jeeps with EVERY concievable extra and add on was De Rigeur............... :roll:

No wartime publication mentions them.......even Vietnam Mutts didnt have shovel covers

Regards

Lloyd

• 3 months later...

To avoid scratching metal to metal I use innertube rubber from bicycles and Dodges.

Shovel covers in war don't make sense.

You'd need to get the cover off, dig and put cover back on, too much hassle.

And they weren't worried about schratching the paint with granades and bullets flying around!!!