Bedford RL Recovery truck

kerbside bob

Hi, I am new to this forum, This is my first post so excuse me if i am asking questions in the wrong place, I have just bought a Bedford RL, light recovery truck, Reg number Q209 XSC, Chassis number RLC332616, I got it from a friend who was clearing out the remains of a circus yard outside Edinburgh, When we got it home I started to steam clean the lorry, And was delighted when the circus paint just washed right off, Leaving it in the colours of Scottish Omnibuses, It even has its fleet number and the garage it was stationed at, Up untill then i was going to go for a military look, But after finding this colour scheme my minds made up, Its staying in these colours, I have been searching for any information i can get on its history and would be delighted if anybody could give me some pointers as to deciphering the chassis numbers, And aging it, And if i could find a military history that would be great, Thanks, Bob.

Hello Bob, is that the one that was on eBay recently? It looked a bit distressed, but worth saving.

You should have a look on the chassis, probably on the left hand chassis rails somewhere not far behind the cab, for the Ministry of Supply chassis plate. If it's still there it'll have the service registration number, contract it was supplied under, and so on, which will be a starting place to get the service history and date into service.

There are a lot of keen bus enthusiasts around, so if you can find a relevant group or forum I'm sure someone will be able to give you its bus company history and perhaps even provide a link back to the military history.

The chassis number is 32616, which I think would make it early '60s, and the model type is RLC3, which decodes as R type, Long wheelbase, (supplied as) Chassis & cab, 300 Petrol engine. Unfortunately it may be difficult to get the exact date of manufacture without the military history or registration, unless someone has a reference to that chassis number. Vauxhall Heritage have chassis number lists but they're not tied to dates.

Great trucks, R types, I'm sure you'll have many hours of fun & pleasure with it!!

Edited by Sean N

Thanks Mike, that's the one I was thinking of.

No sign of AFS amber lights though?

True but they were small add ons unlike the Goddess and pipe carriers. If you search on Google images quite a few have a single beacon but that may have been a later modification.

Thanks guys, I will check out the chassis plate asap, And yes that is the one that you have the link for, I also bought the K9 with the wee hiab that was on ebay beside it, I have gone from being a land rover guy to a commercial nut over night, Oh well we only live once, lol. I will keep you all posted as i go, Thanks again.:)

No problem, I lost the ebay listing, But will take some photos asap, It might be the weekend before i get them though, The cab floor needs a bit of work, But i have had it running, It ran As sweet as a nut, It is also Edinburgh registered, Q415 XSC, Chassis number reads as 2059 11, They are nice wee trucks, There is a nice radio body K9 near where i live, It belongs to the secret bunker, An M,O,D bunker that is now a museam, In fife, I will get some photos of it for you at some point, Cheers for now, And thanks again for your interrest, Bob.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Bob, is that the one that was on eBay recently? It looked a bit distressed, but worth saving.

You should have a look on the chassis, probably on the left hand chassis rails somewhere not far behind the cab, for the Ministry of Supply chassis plate. If it's still there it'll have the service registration number, contract it was supplied under, and so on, which will be a starting place to get the service history and date into service.

There are a lot of keen bus enthusiasts around, so if you can find a relevant group or forum I'm sure someone will be able to give you its bus company history and perhaps even provide a link back to the military history.

The chassis number is 32616, which I think would make it early '60s, and the model type is RLC3, which decodes as R type, Long wheelbase, (supplied as) Chassis & cab, 300 Petrol engine. Unfortunately it may be difficult to get the exact date of manufacture without the military history or registration, unless someone has a reference to that chassis number. Vauxhall Heritage have chassis number lists but they're not tied to dates.

Great trucks, R types, I'm sure you'll have many hours of fun & pleasure with it!!

The plate shows it's military reg as 48 CL 70 I hope that will help ageing it, Thanks guys.

HI - I have a Similar vehicle ,ex AFS. I have a small user handbook for the use of the winch and lift etc if you need any specific information on that side of things I can copy the page. I saw yours on ebay and was tempted ! There seem to be a few cab repair panels about, and I have been able to source brake spares reasonably easily. Here is a pic of mine .001.jpg

Jimmys Bedford.jpg

bedford.jpg

• Like 1

looking at it it went to marshals for the body 8/3/60

then central vehicle park hilton a store

then 118 recovery volunters that are at northampton

then back to hilton stores

back again to the ta at 118

not sure osu but catterick is a major garrison town and wasnt 1980 fireman/binman strike so support for that

81 warminster traffic park

then sold off 1986 so 26 years not hard service