well I have gone and done it. Basic Jeep advice.

sas pinkie

Well after a viewing of 3 Jeeps over the weekend I have settled on one which is a 1943 willys mb. The owner is french and bought it to the uk with him. The only later hotchkiss parts fitted are a kph speedo which he said had to be fitted to register it in france, yellow headlights for the same reason and a solex carb.

It is still 6v, with no ignition key and a floor mounted starter.

So my questions are:

What size sockets and spanners will I need? Up until now I have only played with modern stuff so only really have metric.

What do you do about modern fuels? Do you use any additives to replace the missing bits in unleaded?

I will need some rear shocks and springs, they have gone soft from sitting. where is the best place to get these?

It is missing its data plate off the glove box (but it does have its willys data tag on the chassis). Can I get a replica replacement for this?

The glove box is held shut with a cable tie. where can I get a replacement glove box catch?

the catches on the bonnet to hold the winscreen when its folded are also mia. Again any good sources for replacement?

The last thing for now is maintenance. Where can I get service and repair book and a parts book from? Anyone uploaded one online yet?

I am sure there will be more questions when I get it home, but that wont be for a few weeks as the previous owner is going to register it in the uk for me, as its still on its hand painted french numberplates.

Cheers

Karl

Edited by sas pinkie

Well after a viewing of 3 Jeeps over the weekend I have settled on one which is a 1943 willys mb. The owner is french and bought it to the uk with him. The only later hotchkiss parts fitted are a kph speedo which he said had to be fitted to register it in france, yellow headlights for the same reason and a solex carb.

It is still 6v, with no ignition key and a floor mounted starter.

So my questions are:

What size sockets and spanners will I need? Up until now I have only played with modern stuff so only really have metric.

Imperial

What do you do about modern fuels? Do you use any additives to replace the missing bits in unleaded?

Use an additive like Millers which also avoids your fuel going off

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/classic-fuel-additives.asp

I will need some rear shocks and springs, they have gone soft from sitting. where is the best place to get these?

Many suppliers - Jeeparts, Dallas Autos, Universal Jeep Supplies, Jeffrey Engineering to name but four - every jeep owner has their personal favourite - or mix and match

It is missing its data plate off the glove box (but it does have its willys data tag on the chassis). Can I get a replica replacement for this?

Robert at Dataplates4u in Holland is your man

The glove box is held shut with a cable tie. where can I get a replacement glove box catch?

see above

the catches on the bonnet to hold the winscreen when its folded are also mia. Again any good sources for replacement?

see above

The last thing for now is maintenance. Where can I get service and repair book and a parts book from? Anyone uploaded one online yet?

I am sure there will be more questions when I get it home, but that wont be for a few weeks as the previous owner is going to register it in the uk for me, as its still on its hand painted french numberplates.

"Go to" sites

http://jeepdraw.com/ (drawings, parts colours and manuals)

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=16200bfb897e797a113eb63ee33a06a6 (the fount of all technical knowledge)

Enjoy

Simon King

Edited by simon king

If you know your manual numbers you can usually find them via Google , try searching for " TM 9-803 " and " ORD 9 SNL G503 "

Good advice already given I would only add regarding spanners: I would suggest a set of combination AF 3/8 to 3/4 inclusive, these will cover nearly all your needs and a set of sockets to match. Things like hub nut sockets can be bought via e bay or through the dealers already mentioned.

Enjoy your jeep :wave:

Pete

Cheers for all the help so far.

One further question. The Chassis number is MB229170 which from my google search puts the DoD between 19/4/43 and 21/4/43.

Anyway I can get closer to the actual DoD?

Not sure what you are asking there, date of manufacture or Date of delivery (DoD) nearly always not the same thing. I think realistically you have a a pretty close window for date of manufacture, but I suggest you go onto the G503 forum and ask the question there.

Pete

I was under the impression the date of delivery was recorded, to the day, on the data plate on the glove box. I was after that date to be as close to the truth that I could realistically get.

I will join the g503 forum now.

Yes you are correct, DoD was stamped onto the glove box plate on the day of acceptance by the Ordnance dept, but that was not always the date of manufacture. There's a lot of information on this topic on the G503 so you will get chapter and verse on there.

Pete