• 2 months later...
  • Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With things slowly returning to normal and a dry forecast we decided yesterday would be a good opportunity to take the lorry out for a small drive. It has not been out of the garage for six months; no

We decided to have afternoon tea with the working vehicles to celebrate VE day; this was the second drive for the 1908 Singer but as it is only 15 metres between the garages it really needs a run out

We have just spent a few days in the Cotswolds which included providing transport for the wedding of some good friends.   Getting the bride to the church on time adds a little stress t

Posted Images

With things slowly returning to normal and a dry forecast we decided yesterday would be a good opportunity to take the lorry out for a small drive. It has not been out of the garage for six months; not at all what we had planned back in January.

We emptied the petrol out last time we used it so put four gallons in the tank and it started first swing. I have added a felt seal behind the fan belt pulley since the last drive; it has slowed but not eliminated the oil leak so I will need to revisit that at some point.

Another task completed recently has been the reshaping of the headlamp bracket I made to fit a Powell and Hanmer self generating acetylene lamp. The in-service photo showing this model of lamp arrived after the bulk of the restoration was complete and I managed to find the correct lamp at the start of this year. The lamp is slightly narrower than the ECL but needs to sit higher to clear the water trap.

1010087422_LampBkt.thumb.JPG.8608db196220d27db74555fd68f4c1f3.JPG

Another detail I was missing was the canvas sheet "roof".

IMG_5745.thumb.JPG.411f8cc88320c954964cda1572353231.JPG

I have been collecting period photos of fruit vehicles and found there appear to be three standard types of gathering baskets; these have been meticulously recreated by Pascal Carr of All About Willow.

IMG_5758.thumb.JPG.1b2c68304dd992937d6e341d7b80c818.JPG

• Like 8

I am late joining here but am impressed with what you have going on the Dennis projects.  I would like to move my Riker project along in a very similar direction.  I just need to locate more parts!

Al

Bet that was a good feeling getting her out on road. I havent driven anything pre 1930's but can imagine this would be quite a thing to drive!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments on this project. It is a lovely little lorry to drive, managing quite a high top speed, pretty light steering and clutch, fairly good brakes and half decent visibility with reasonable weather protection .

The Aster engine is half the power of the engine originally fitted so you get the fun of changing down at least one gear for every hill; at least it gives good miles to the gallon (more than 10).

When I started putting the Dennis projects together I was working out of prefabricated concrete garage adjoining my end of terrace house. We looked for a house where we could build a suitable home for the lorries but ended up buying the Edwardian printing works in the photo, this gave what I thought would be enough garage space but I needed to spend two year converting some of it into suitable accommodation for the glamorous assistant. Another task for this year is planning the next garage.

• Like 1