1944 Flying Flea

Davey089

That's exactly how it should be. Which shows you have the engine which was fitted to your frame at the factory. As I said, the engine was stamped on the crankcase with the frame number. Here is mine which also matched my frame.

The same thing applies with other Royal Enfield models. The actual engine numbers on the C and CO for instance is stamped under the magneto, the frame number is then stamped just below the barrel. Which you can see here on one of my other RE models. I have no idea why they did it this way? Ron

Lightweights 032.jpg

WDC 017.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Thanks for the info , when you say the frame number is stamped on the engine , does it also have it stamped on the frame somewhere ?"

The frame number should be stamped on the front of the frame head-stock, slightly over to the right and vertical.......

This should match the frame number stamped on the engine (not the "V" number which is the engine number - it is thought that the "V" signified a Villiers carburetter fitted)........although with military overhauls and post-war civilian ownership it is possible that the engine unit may have been replaced/exchanged at some point ?

When built, early Flea's have the contract plate wrapped around the left-rear upper frame rail.......later contracts had this riveted to the rear-mudguard..........if yours has a civvy number plate fitted check beneath for either the contract plate or the presence of two small holes to indicate where it once was..........

"Just looked again and the 4800 has a V .........V4800 , strange the "old" logbook and new one lists the engine and frame number as 8753, as can be seen in the photo they don't match !"

As for this, it could be an old error/anomaly and a mis-reading of the numbers stamped...or the numbers may be poorly stamped with the "3" probably being an "8" (looking at the shape of the other "3" this has a "flat" top so I'm pretty certain that the first digit on the engine is a poorly-stamped "8")........I read the number photographed as "3753" at first glance and this is far too early for the first WD Flea contract which commenced at 4171.........the few pre-production examples made during 1942 had frame numbers in the range from 2792 to 2878 (approximately 18 machines)..........not sure therefore where 3753 fits in !

IF frame number 8753 then this bike is part of Contract 294/23/S.6602, Catalogue Ref 28, for 735 WD/RE's........frame numbers ran sequentially from 8171 to 8905, WD serial "C" numbers from C 5816151 to 5816885.....(you should be able to work-out your "C" number from this).....delivery commenced at the rate of 350 per month from September 1944.........this was the 2nd out of 3 large contracts for the Flea, S.6602 being the smallest..........it is entirely possible that this bike spent it's military career in storage, most machines in use being from the first (large) contract of 1943..........

Edited by wdbikemad

"Thanks for the info , when you say the frame number is stamped on the engine , does it also have it stamped on the frame somewhere ?"

IF frame number 8753 then this bike is part of Contract 294/23/S.6602, Catalogue Ref 28, for 735 WD/RE's........frame numbers ran sequentially from 8171 to 8905, WD serial "C" numbers from C 5816151 to 5816885.....(you should be able to work-out your "C" number from this).....delivery commenced at the rate of 350 per month from September 1944.........this was the 2nd out of 3 large contracts for the Flea, S.6602 being the smallest..........it is entirely possible that this bike spent it's military career in storage, most machines in use being from the first (large) contract of 1943..........

The contract plate is attached to the rear mudguard and as you say its S6602 Cat No 28 , the number stamped on the engine is 8753.

The Flea was purchased from the MOD in 1946.The son of the man that purchased this originally has been tracked down and his father bought this to "civilianise" but never got around to doing it .

Edited by Davey089

If frame 4752, then this Flea has a first contract frame with a second contract engine fitted (and contract plate !).....this makes me think that the bike was rebuilt either prior to disposal by the War Department or after disposal...........If it just had the engine replaced then it would be a simple matter of a later engine in an earlier frame but because the latter also has the later contract number on the rear mudguard this makes me feel that this is a rebuild, and not too uncommon either..............

The dilemma now faced is do you build the bike as per the frame number or do you build it in accordance with the matching engine and rear-mudguard contract plate ???!!!

If 1st contract (going by the frame), the colour choice is SCC. No.2 Brown.........if 2nd Contract (by the engine and rear-mudguard contract number) then the colour Sept/Oct 1944 would have been British Olive Drab..................:-D

If frame 4752, then this Flea has a first contract frame with a second contract engine fitted (and contract plate !).....this makes me think that the bike was rebuilt either prior to disposal by the War Department or after disposal...........If it just had the engine replaced then it would be a simple matter of a later engine in an earlier frame but because the latter also has the later contract number on the rear mudguard this makes me feel that this is a rebuild, and not too uncommon either..............

The dilemma now faced is do you build the bike as per the frame number or do you build it in accordance with the matching engine and rear-mudguard contract plate ???!!!

If 1st contract (going by the frame), the colour choice is SCC. No.2 Brown.........if 2nd Contract (by the engine and rear-mudguard contract number) then the colour Sept/Oct 1944 would have been British Olive Drab..................:-D

I'm getting a little confused the frame number is 8753 the contract plate reads S6602 Cat No 28

It's Steve who is getting confused! He's confusing my frame number with yours, and he's even miss quoted that!!!..........Poor bloke is getting on in years you now!

Ron

:D I was getting a bit worried there , thought it was me that was losing it :nut:

Just testing to see if you were awake Guys.......got to keep you on your toes.....! :D Me looking at the wrong image.....

Frame 8753 fits in.........this is duplicated on the engine but is poorly stamped, looking to be (at first glance) a "3" rather than an "8".............

Contract plate should be thin steel by the way and a pressing...........1st contract only had brass and this was wrapped around the rear left-upper frame rail rather than affixed to the rear mudguard.........

Edited by wdbikemad

No Davey! Apart from the carb there is nothing Villiers about the bike. First try Hitchcocks.http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/269/1946_RE125_(Flying_Flea)

But bare in mind some of the post war civvy parts are different.

Ron

No Davey! Apart from the carb there is nothing Villiers about the bike. First try Hitchcocks.http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/269/1946_RE125_(Flying_Flea)

But bare in mind some of the post war civvy parts are different.

Ron

Thanks Ron

I don't think a gearbox sprocket nor gasket set will be an issue for Hitchcock's..............if they are then I might be able to help..........

Thanks its much appreciated . I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have and also while I'm on, see if they have a rear sprocket too its looking a bit tired (the teeth are worn to points) .

I don't think a gearbox sprocket nor gasket set will be an issue for Hitchcock's..............if they are then I might be able to help..........

Spoke with Hitchcocks today, gasket set and rear sprocket on stock (they have the 34 and 35 tooth sprocket ), but no front one , if you have one that you could sell me I would be very grateful :-) .

Tried to get the toolbox clip but they don't have any so probably have to make one of those along with the headlamp blank .

Can anyone tell me where the rear brake return spring attaches .Its been bodged with a jubilee clip and the spring is probably the wrong too.

Dave

Edited by Davey089

There is an extended stud shown in the parts list which fits through the silencer to exhaust pipe clamp. I have hung the rear end of my spring on that stud. No 25. If you click on any number of the Hitchcocks on line parts books, it highlights the part with price and whether it's available. Ron

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/2123/Crankcase_Studs_&_Bolts_,_Decompressor,_Engine_Sprocket_&_Exhaust_System

Edited by Ron

There is an extended stud shown in the parts list which fits through the silencer to exhaust pipe clamp. I have hung the rear end of my spring on that stud. No 25. If you click on any number of the Hitchcocks on line parts books, it highlights the part with price and whether it's available. Ron

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/2123/Crankcase_Studs_&_Bolts_,_Decompressor,_Engine_Sprocket_&_Exhaust_System

Thanks Ron

those parts are missing too so I'll get those hopefully ordered , I can't find a reference to the rear sprocket is it a 34 or 35 T .hopefully I can get hold of a front sprocket as that's worn too

Dave

I'll look for a gearbox sprocket and possibly a tool box clip (only one used on the WD version, two in the civvy) but it won't be until January at the earliest..........

Ron is correct re: the rear brake spring attaching to that extension of the silencer stud.............:-D

I'll look for a gearbox sprocket and possibly a tool box clip (only one used on the WD version, two in the civvy) but it won't be until January at the earliest..........

Ron is correct re: the rear brake spring attaching to that extension of the silencer stud.............:-D

That's great, January is fine. I'm trying to source as many of the parts I can that are missing/need replacing so I have them all at hand . The clip(if you can call it a clip) on the one I have is a home made , which doesn't even clamp the frame and has 2 philips screws holding it in place ! I just hope they haven't used/forced metric screws into the box .

Dave

Rang Hitchcocks today ordered some bits and pieces and tried to order points and condenser.....not available :shocked: ,does anyone know where to source them from ? Parts for the Flea are harder to come by than the Welbike , I thought the MW was bad for parts ,but this little devil is a challenge :nut: .

Dave

Points assembly is Miller (a type FL18 I think) and hasn't been available for a long time.........I bought my last set from Ebay (search under "Miller points" in motorcycle parts........) and my set before that from Vale Onslow..........

The set is pretty much unique to the Flea although one of the packets that my points came in stated "RE125" and "Sarolea", but I'm not sure of the later model or what is was.........I can't help with points or condensor sorry....

Points assembly is Miller (a type FL18 I think) and hasn't been available for a long time.........I bought my last set from Ebay (search under "Miller points" in motorcycle parts........) and my set before that from Vale Onslow..........

The set is pretty much unique to the Flea although one of the packets that my points came in stated "RE125" and "Sarolea", but I'm not sure of the later model or what is was.........I can't help with points or condensor sorry....

Thanks Steve

Dave