WW2 British/Canadian rare scrap yard haul

happydayz123

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu,

Many thanks for the pics - I think I have identified one or two of the parts (mainly as not being QL, OX etc!), will have a better idea when I can get a proper look. Definitely interested in the radio bodied QL and many of the spares. Now that I have seen pictures of the tipper, I am not convinced that it is an original, but rather a civilian conversion - the only pictures I can find in any of my books show a shorter, steel tipper body, with the fuel tank and spare wheel carrier mounted behind the cab as on the QLD. I am sure someone with greater knowledge than me will be able to give us a definitive answer, though.

Mike

Hi Mike,

your right regarding the Tipper, having just looked at my own reference books. Sorry for misleading anyone. Having only seen the vehicles being pulled out and loaded. I haven't had time, to look at any of them closely. Im looking at the parts first, as I need my shed back :-)

chhers

stu

I can't really tell you, much about it. The scrap yard in Leeds, has been bought by Audi. I was enishally told, I had 2 1/2 weeks to clear the yard, then last weds evening, I recieved a call stating the contract was going to be signed on Monday 17th Nov, anything left in the yard, after that point, would legally belong to Audi. We spent all day sat & sun, retrieving as much military gear, as possible. Alas we ran out of time, to receive the 3 x RN marked Austin Ten staff cars, Morris Commercial C8 & a post war Austin MRA1. Special tanks must go to Craig of Hindle Transport & Iain Mulley of IJM Restorations.

Stu

Many thanks for posting the pics Hanno.

My pleasure, Stu.

It would help, if I could post pics !!

Not that difficult at all, just hit "reply to thread" and then a "your message" box opens where you normally type your text.

Above the text box are a number of icons, one of them is a paperclip. Click on that and a new screens opens which allows you to select pictures from your hard drive and insert them in your message.

Give it a try, and if all else fails, I'm sure the moderators will help you out.

Already tried mate ! Next time u buy your razors or open a can of soap think ! Found some wartime radio books & a mic in the QLR today. I wish I had the space for it I'd restore it myself. I didn't realise, how big the radio mount is !! I hope it goes to a good home, and they don't rip it all out, and turn it into a camper. Ill gladly email pics to anyone who's interested.

Cheers

stu

Stu, do you mean Aldi Supermarket ? I was thinking of Audi cars....

Was the site actually a scrapyard or was it simply a surplus dealer who stopped selling and didn't clear the unsold stock ?

I daresay that whatever tax-efficient construction it is that ends up owning the land will try to offset costs by including the scrap in the contract for clearance and decontamination. If there is an angle then it would be in approaching the contractors who have to clear it and offering above scrap price.

Was the yard at Armley, Stu, on Tong Road? If so I can't work out where the Bedfords were lined up.

The last time I looked into the yard was some 15 years ago, when I last visited PRB Services. It was a lot fuller then, though I don't recall any ex-military vehicles. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough... If anybody wants to visit the yard before Stu went there with his low-loader, either find a TARDIS or go to Google Earth. Co-ordinates are 53 degrees 47 minutes N, 1 degrees 6 minutes W.

John.

Hi John, yes that's the yard. Alas I'm being told, it's being cleared as we speak. If only I had another 24 hours, we could have cleared the lot. The 3 ex Royal Navy marked, Austin Ten staff cars would have been nice to save. Let alone all them lovely tires on rims.

Cheers

stu

Hi 79 x 100 thanks for your comments, at the moment only Classic Mitary vehicle magazine are interested !!

Found two Austin K5 front grills plus surrounds today, in good condition.

Cheers

stu

Hi Stu I'm interested in a K5 grill & surround if one's still available ?

PM sent, regards Ian