US helmets (re-enactment)

Enigma

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After buying the British painted steel book and having walked in Arromanches on June 6th as a RAMC member I got inspired to make some more British helmets.

The shells are postwar and were given a coarse structure with a few brushed on and a few with a even coverage.

The markings and camouflage patterns were hand painted. What do you think of these?

mini_IMG_0342.JPG

mini_IMG_0343.JPG

mini_IMG_0344.JPG

Edited by Enigma
Typo's

• 1 year later...

So...what do you do when you find allmost all british Dispatch rider helmets are sized smaal to medium???

Well then you make your own.

And, DAMN, that's difficult...😟

But still....here it is. Made from a RAC shell. Everything else is newly made by hand, including buckle, strap, liner ring and even hand stitched sweatband!!!

Size is about 61-62 so 7 5/8-7 3/4.

I used 2 WW2 ones for comparison, mine (obviously)  is the middle one.

Let me know what you think.

mini_IMG_9330.JPG

mini_IMG_9331.JPG

mini_IMG_9332.JPG

mini_IMG_9333.JPG

1 hour ago, johann morris said:

Lovely job but I hope that the RAC ones that you used weren't ww2 dated.

Jon

WW2 RAC and Dispatch shells aren't dated at all. Para shells sometimes.

AFAIK all RAC shells without "lift the dot" are WW2. Still I can't find proof.

I am looking for empty Dispatch shells (preferably with liner ring) but no luck so far.

The one I found had markings so will be in the collection when it arrives.

3 hours ago, johann morris said:

Well you learn something every day. I am currently looking for a ww2 rac helmet but it appears that most have been converted by the reenacting community into para helmets.

Jon

Yes, a lot have been. But not just by reenactors , a lot of them are converted by the Belgian army with their own make of paraliner and straps. Again with the Belgian flag on them. I have a couple of those.

Most I do find RAC helmets with Belgian decals or painted Belgian flags on them,  on bare metal leaving the rough finish on the rest of the shell. I prefer these to convert and the nicer ones without that flag I keep in my collection.

Some of these Belgian used ones I removed their flag and painted a reconnaissance flash on it when wearing a Recce BD or tanksuit. This is the one I use most.

IMG_6335 (Small).JPG

Edited by Enigma
Added photo.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, johann morris said:

Evening Enigma,

I managed to get a helmet but it's been stored in a pile and although the advert didn't show it, it has a black ring around the crown. Do you ever repaint your shells, if so what colour do you use?  The shell is dated as well as the liner.

Regards,

Jon

Hi John

The black ring is from another liner that was placed on top? Do you have a few pics, including date of the shell?

Interesting. Last week I bought a similar one, with the 7 3/4 on the side!! I'll check for a date stamp in the metal.

That is the 1st time I'v seen a RAC shell with markings, cool!!! Probably 1953.

I have seen several postwar para shells with makers mark and dates. It looks like post war RAC shells were marked too. Learned something new.

Can you reveal where you bought it? Mine was from here, the Netherlands.

Edited by Enigma

8 minutes ago, johann morris said:

Ebay uk. Any idea what colour green they were painted?

I think they might have been a lighter shade of green. But I'd advise just to use as is.

If you'd want to get rid of the size marking you could add a camonet with a first aid packet onder it to cover the size.