US helmets (re-enactment)

Enigma

• 1 month later...
Jack's helmet should have had Old Baldy on the back. Interesting Press design there my friend.

MB

I had thought about posting the same thing Mark, but I wasnt brave enough!!! Incidently, have you seen the latest adverts for Head and Shoulders? "Dont break up with your hair?" :-D

Mark

what kind of price are ww2 ones going for now ?........

Jmurray asks about 200$ for a refurbed one, WW2 shell and correct liner (can be postwar).

Then you don't have any markings yet and postage.

I must say he makes good repro's.

• 2 weeks later...

Enigma,

Collecting helmets is one of my secondary hobbies after vehicles. I have to say that having read this entire thread, I would comment that your knowledge and skill levels are extremely high.

The second generation corking is very good indeed.

I thought you, and a few others, may appreciate this picture. It is one of the best helmets in my collection.

A battle damaged M1c, front seam fixed bale, with para liner. Not a textbook combo, but living proof that not all equipment was as issued.

Issued to a trooper of 502 PIR, 101st AB. I acquired this from the grandson of the owners of Rolley castle, in Belgium. It was picked up near the castle, after the unfortunate trooper was hit during the battle immediately prior to Pattons relief of Bastogne.

This photo is a good overview, but does not show the heart motif, or the exit hole and webbing detail.

I could load more pictures, but not sure if such a post would be regarded as an unwelcome trespass on your thread.

100_1295.jpg

Regards Mark M

Edited by mark m uk

@404boy, hope you had a good day.

Show us a pic when you have all your gear camo-ed.

@Mark, thanks for the comments.

Congratulations on a genuine piece of history. Got more (detail) photo's.

Para's used indeed fixed bales, some with straps like on a d-bale.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the last picture shows a first infantry helmet with a different shade of green behind the 1 is this a later war version or is it just down to personal taste?

Nigel

In my helmet books I see several versions.

This one and a black border made with a template and red one without lighter green in it (the template one semms to be the main type).

Also the famous MP one which has a all black shield with the red one on it.

Guess the differences are down to the painters time and talent.

Here a detailed photo of the 1st Div. marking.

Note the corkstructure, made to resemble a few months of age.

Lots of re-enacters use a 65 year old helmet with totally flattened cork, nice but they weren't that old in WW2...

IMG_9421Small.jpg