Help needed Mercury tug

lee g

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have just aquired a mecury tug. I hope you don't mind me adding to this thread but I wondered if anyone has a source of tyres for these. Sadly one of mine is shredded and until I find a replacement I can't even get the old thing into my workshop.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, Dale said:

Fantastic to see these mercury trucks getting restored, we have 2 mercury auto trucks one os restored and come out of Swindon railway works and the other is unrestored and is a tug. We also have most of the mercury truck and tractor co brochures, and paperwork if I get time I'll have a look into it dont suppose yours has a builders plate at all? 

I have had the radiator fully overhauled on the tug and now just rebuilding the rear diff. It's a slow project but since lock down happened given me some time to get some work done! I'm involved with a heritage railway and restoring diesel locomotives takes up most of the time.

Dale 

FB_IMG_1578773304713.jpg

received_10209582089808515.jpeg

received_1242009539237907.jpeg

20200506_175414.jpg

Hi Dale

I have just acquired a tug virtually identical to yours. I am finding it very difficult to find out much about its history. The engine number suggests that it is 1938. Since so few look exactly the same I am wondering if there was a common purchaser.

The paint on mine has many layers and the lowest seems to be a grey blue not unlike what appears to be on yours. Be really interested if you have any history at all.

Cheers

Hugh

• 1 month later...

Hi,

does anyone know how heavy the mercury tractor is? I need to convert it and I can't determine the weight ...
And where should the exhaust lead properly? My Mertrak probably had the exhaust redone, as it leads under the front bumper to the left. I think it should lead somewhere under the battery?

Thanks!