Morris C9/B

MHillyard

Hi Mart - your rad is (unsurprisingly) not unlike the one in my little Morris . That is currently in Colchester Radiators on Whitehall industrial estate being re-cored . Not particularly cheap , I think the quote was somewhere in the region of £265 , and it's been there for around three or four months so far (but compared to Howard that's pretty good going) .

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots more taken off and cleaned up etc. over the past week.

Had a closer look at the radiator and it looks pretty bad at the base, not sure how repairable things like this are so any suggestions would be appreciated

Managed to remove the exhaust manifold without any damage, it seems to be pretty well seized onto the inlet manifold but that is something I will sort later along the line.

Rather than taking the whole "cab" to bits I just unbolted it from the chassis and lifted it to the rear of the body where it can remain complete for when I come to work on it.

The engine/gearbox subframe is in a very poor state and I am surprised the engine is still held by it. So next job is to remove the engine and gearbox.

Steering mechanism removed for ease of taking the engine and gearbox out which also revealed a nice bit of paint.

Also removed the engine covers and condition doesnt seem to be too bad so will have to see how it looks when I start taking it to bits.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111010[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111014[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111016[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111017[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111018[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111019[/ATTACH]

Martyn, I might be able to help you out with the sub frame, I have one that I am currently using as an engine rebuild stand.

I'll take some photos over Christmas.

Regards

Jules

Hi Mart - your rad is (unsurprisingly) not unlike the one in my little Morris . That is currently in Colchester Radiators on Whitehall industrial estate being re-cored . Not particularly cheap , I think the quote was somewhere in the region of £265 , and it's been there for around three or four months so far (but compared to Howard that's pretty good going) .

I did have them in mind but I didnt know how far into the re-fabrication/repairs of the mounting side of things they did.

Martyn, I might be able to help you out with the sub frame, I have one that I am currently using as an engine rebuild stand.

I'll take some photos over Christmas.

Regards

Jules

That would be fantastic, I just hope they are the same on the C9 as other variants

Decided on Monday to take the engine and gearbox out. I was going to originally take the subframe out with it but decided against it as the engine and gearbox weigh enough on their own.

Managed to get it out with a lot of strugling and re-positioning of the crane but got there in the end.

Next job is to get the power washer out to remove all the underseal and the attempt to split the gearbox from the engine.

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

Not a happy one either, he spent hours / days / weeks weaving that web

Well he hasn't been evicted quite yet, although i have given him prior notice.

The web has been in there since I got the Morris over a year ago (could see it though the void where the started motor should be) so perhaps this engine has been their home for generations :D

Martyn

The best match for the Morris engine colour is called Brunswick Green, easily available via the net, a lot is sold to stationary engine restorers.

CHEERS

Jules

Just been looking to get a tin of the paint, don't suppose you know if it would be Mid or Light Brunswick Green? Both seem to look quite similar to what I have left and don't want to get it wrong! :D

Forgot to post the activity from last week.

Decided to get the gearbox in shelter but to do so practically I thought it best to remove the transfer box.

I thought it would take up less space this way (wrong!). It now takes up about 3 times the room! But gives me plenty to crack on with.

I didnt expect to have to dismantle as much as I did but it needed to be done at some point anyway. Worst part to remove was the PTO "pulley" that had been modified by welding a toothed gear to it which required a lot of force and heat to remove, I wouldnt be surprised if it was welded while in place as it really didnt want to shift.

Everything else came apart fine, parts seem in good condition apart from being covered in the rusty, oily slime.

Does anyone know the best place to get new seals? I pretty sure these old ones will need replacing!

Another find under about an inch of grease/underseal a brass battledress button

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

Most of the oil seals are standard Imperial sizes, Martyn. I got all of ours online without any difficulty.

You need these measurements in inches: the diameter of the housing that the seal presses into, the diameter of the shaft that it seals, and the thickness of the seal itself.

By the way Mart - I finally collected my rad from Colchester Radiators today , having had a slightly snotty phone call from them last week because I'd not collected it previously (mostly because they didn't let me know that it was done ). It looks very good but the final bill was £334 .

• 11 months later...

Just realised how long it has been since an update.

Started getting back in the swing of it again a couple of months ago (other projects had taken priority).

Chassis has been split and is in the process of being cleaned and then can be reassembled with a few cross-members still needing to be made up

d1yEP4hUVoG0T6pdsMgDZEp7hXN1k561T2M6w8HgQAbBwsfVy6lkBw8a1_mgbF-n3K_SiB_B4YpIcbzpIlevlbNlWDokkkWnhoaIqi4rENkwvGGOvhlaP1cIML4FCsM4h3Nl_UKcwg0MU3K2p8X100b5BcbaLoIeOVkJXPO7kqPiVfD7Gq3srV6g89cuY5Xydt2Hm44gYTZr_ZwKUfFvDW2-oM-tdyKsL7TUliamkY1P8krNcE-uDIYSg_5mzVMkS0zEl90LaMY2Kohae-u_MGFK7W9KkY6FajEp83vQGAMRIKmg9Dx7VfZS2JhyTuYqBoJTF-bg0Un8M29tJz7JLDWdP2sQElD7SRO9Mn9Kq7EwMid1zYI2U-4FxRbEF-DJwX1NvEjEffls28oauzuNvT2va-cN-higNBniZvXj8l9IJqMDSiHDnQzlCCwfd4mDdACoQ4Veo82yx7jjvA5oF1FiR1Lx04WpdqIMOGoglTPqPLfiYSQROFcGOeoKF9Re_T0KYKUldxAKA5tgW4cMSwKs1ncS3xos-6YVmgGUZCjMlPwgRFFzRsZVPzsvXFsFHfKz_lvu5erlpOZKNLUPM5hNVr0WCoFpQ2Cl7fmR8UWXkWGmSZ3IsQ=w515-h914-no

• 4 weeks later...