Militant mk1 electrical prob

single speed

Dear All,

I have an EMER covering this and a simple precis from SEME at Bordon. In my time in the TA with an AEC and Leyland Martian recovery these units gave nothing but trouble. My earnest recommendation is to fit a modern 24 Volt alternator. It might be possible to fit with the compressor leaving the generator to run the fan belts. I will look at our AEC at Bordon on Tuesday.

I will scan and post on the forum the literature that I have got. It is very detailed and will enable anyone with the right skills to repair these items.

John

fit a modern 24 Volt alternator

While I agree this would solve all the charging problems at a stroke, mainly by doing away with the regulator box. I wanted to keep the dynamo set up on my Militant for the sake of originality.

Not only that, now I know more about how the "box" works, I should be able to resolve any future problems myself. And anyway I've only had one issue in 3 years of Militant motoring, which I think isn't a bad average

Dear All,

I have an EMER covering this and a simple precis from SEME at Bordon. In my time in the TA with an AEC and Leyland Martian recovery these units gave nothing but trouble. My earnest recommendation is to fit a modern 24 Volt alternator. It might be possible to fit with the compressor leaving the generator to run the fan belts. I will look at our AEC at Bordon on Tuesday.

I will scan and post on the forum the literature that I have got. It is very detailed and will enable anyone with the right skills to repair these items.

John

John,

Any idea which spec of alternator would fit?

Any literature would be of a great help!

Stu

Dear All,

I have posted an extract from the relevant EMER on the forum.

I will check our AEC at the museum to see if there is the space to fit an alternator on the compressor drive.

There is always a debate about 100 % original or not. There is also one about safety and keeping the lights on and bright is very important if driving on today's modern roads. I quite like doing modifications that could have been done but for the bureacracy and pig headedness at within the MOD. It would have been possible to modify the AEC 10 ton fleet by fitting the alternator and regulator from the Bedford MK. It might have been possible to use EXACTLY the same parts as used on the Bedford. The relevant alternator and regulator should not be too difficult to find. Technical info about this alternator is easy find on the internet search "AC5R alternator".

On the other hand, if you want the alternator that is most easy to sustain for the long term, go for the most common Bosch alternator fitted to the contemporary truck fleet. A commercial auto electrician could advise.

For my money, I would go for the Bedford MK alternator as it was very reliable and is something that could have been done when the truck was in service.

John

If you want to keep it authentic looking, this chap produces electronic regulators for dynamos that fit inside the original regulator housing.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/about-me.php

(also an entertaining write up on Lucas electrics at the bottom of the "about me" page!)

Please note that I have no link to the company mentioned above, I found it while doing some research on dynamos.

Vince