Jerrycans on British & Commonwealth vehicles

LarryH57

Question

10 answers to this question

At a guess I'd say 1943. 1942 sounds a bit early to me, and I can see a 1943 one on a quick google search.

There's a definite switchover point that you can see on CMP vehicles where the POW can holder changed to a universal type that could hold the old style cans and jerricans depending on what was around.

Presumably British & Commonwealth vehicle photos can be dated as such if they show Jerrycan holders rather than the ones for flimsy cans?

Larry,

There were no holders for "flimsy" cans. There were holders for the standard 2 gallon can, which dates back to pre-WW1. The so called flimsy was a four gallon can and for bulk transport of petrol. The smaller vehicles continued right through after the war with only holders for 2 gallon cans.

Richard; my error as I thought all British cans were called flimsies. Interesting to note that flimsy can holders were still being produced on British vehicles until after WW2. Does that mean that the Jerrycan holders I see on MVs at shows are a post-war mod?

No, there was a mix. The jerry can is a better design but it wasn't universally introduced, so both types of can were in use.