Ferret fender wiring removal

tokarev

I am finally starting the removal of the fenders and boxes on my ferret - The question is how does one disconnect the wiring from the junction box on the body for the turn signals, headlight and smoke discharger? Thanks

Currently working on rear left inner/outer tactra seals and had to take the fender off for that. Checked/opened a few of the different wire/conduit fittings to see where it would be easiest to disconnect the wires and ended up disconnecting at the fitting attached to the hull. Have attached a couple of pics. Although the wires were "soldered" together, they simply untwisted without the application of heat. Wires were taped over to prevent shorting out. As I disconnected the wires, I marked the them with coloured tape so I could easily match up and rejoin correctly. Hope this helps.

Best Regards, Terry.

002.jpg

001.jpg

The existing conduit will be in general unusable, it consists of a copper braid over a galvanised flexible conduit. The conduit rusts and seizes trapping the wiring inside it.

With care after disconnecting the wiring at the light fittings and applying copious amounts of releasing fluid on all fittings and down the conduit the wiring can be recovered after undoing the fittings gradually crack the existing conduit, it helps to use a tube cutter, attacking it bit by bit and feed it off the wiring. The end fittings would have been brass, keep these as they can be reused. Modern fittings will often be Zinc coated steel which is as rubbish as the existing conduit was.

If the wiring is damaged it can be pieced out by soldering and insulated with shrinkdown sleeve will will fit within the new conduit.

Details on how to make the new and improved conduit are at :

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/useful_info.htm

Diana

I am finally starting the removal of the fenders and boxes on my ferret - The question is how does one disconnect the wiring from the junction box on the body for the turn signals, headlight and smoke discharger? Thanks

The existing conduit will be in general unusable, it consists of a copper braid over a galvanised flexible conduit. The conduit rusts and seizes trapping the wiring inside it.

With care after disconnecting the wiring at the light fittings and applying copious amounts of releasing fluid on all fittings and down the conduit the wiring can be recovered after undoing the fittings gradually crack the existing conduit, it helps to use a tube cutter, attacking it bit by bit and feed it off the wiring. The end fittings would have been brass, keep these as they can be reused. Modern fittings will often be Zinc coated steel which is as rubbish as the existing conduit was.

If the wiring is damaged it can be pieced out by soldering and insulated with shrinkdown sleeve will will fit within the new conduit.

Details on how to make the new and improved conduit are at :

Diana

I guess I am lucky in the sense that the wiring conduit and connections seem alright. So the wires have to be disconnected at their end point and pulled back through the conduit?

Yes pull the wires back one by one. Heat helps if you cannot undo the fittings, as stated already copious amounts of a lubricant such as silicon spray will help release the wires if stuck as well as in unscrewing the fittings.

Do not attempt to pull them through the fitting where it goes through the body. They will most likely get stuck in the 90 degree bend, Undo the fitting (on the outside of the vehicle) that goes into the bodywork fitting and pull them back to there.

Diana

I guess I am lucky in the sense that the wiring conduit and connections seem alright. So the wires have to be disconnected at their end point and pulled back through the conduit?

Yes pull the wires back one by one. Heat helps if you cannot undo the fittings, as stated already copious amounts of a lubricant such as silicon spray will help release the wires if stuck as well as in unscrewing the fittings.

Do not attempt to pull them through the fitting where it goes through the body. They will most likely get stuck in the 90 degree bend, Undo the fitting (on the outside of the vehicle) that goes into the bodywork fitting and pull them back to there.

Diana

Thanks for the info - now I have a better idea how to approach things

Walter

• 5 months later...
someone from the USA e-mailed me asking for the information - so here it is again

Diana

Hi Diana.

I think it was me asking for the fender wiring information, but I don't see a link anywhere to what you've posted. Attached below is a photo of the Ferret in question.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

IMGP0060.jpg

And this thread

Diana

Hi Diana.

I think it was me asking for the fender wiring information, but I don't see a link anywhere to what you've posted. Attached below is a photo of the Ferret in question.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101012[/ATTACH]

• 5 months later...

Walter, I have plenty of pictures on how I removed mine if you need to see them let me know. I will be happy to discuss this with you this fall while at the Knob Creek show. Thanks to Jacki & Diana I have been able to rebuild most all of my wiring harnesses to look like new. Chris who sits at our table with Walter and I has been a big help as well, he has owned several of these ferrets.

CaptMax