Why don't you participate in arena events at shows?

gritineye

My pleasure.........................where do I send the bill!!!! :cool2:

No need for a bill these days my friend, just go to my website weislivinitupinlagos.com and enter your bank account details sortcodes/pin nos/mothers maiden name/passwords (all accounts) and I will promis to make you richer than your wildest dreams!

:trustme:My accounts and assets are all frozen/blockeed right now so please be patient for a year or two, yes youcan trust me my friend...

Being asked to speak about your vehicle in the arena can be daunting & I can well understand people's reserve about about wanting to do this.

I am reasonably happy to babble on endlessly about my particular vehicle. What I do find a hindrance is to hear myself echoing through the PA system with a half second delay so I have to carry on talking over myself. This means a certain determination in trying to keep on track what you are trying to say.

I don't know whether the isolation of a commentary box cuts out this echo effect. But generally I think commentators do quite well. Its not a job I would want to undertake. Sometimes exhibitors present themselves in vehicles other than the one booked in & the commentator has to think on his feet. I would find this extremely difficult unless the vehicle was a Humber 1 Ton or a Shorland.

Given the random way in which vehicles line up for the arena parade, it must be very difficult for a commentator to find interesting things to say about a vehicle of which several have already passed through & possible several more further back in the queue.

I think the most skilled at this was David Fletcher of the Tank Museum with his commentaries at GDSF. He always managed to weave a connecting story between the vehicles driving in. These are of course not chronologically presented, their role & country of origin was totally random, yet he was able to string the whole commentary into a coherent, interesting & often amusing story. A particular highlight for me was to stop the Hornet/Malkara near the commentary box & slowly pan the missiles in his direction!

But things can vary, one show I took the Wolf & had presented its history on the entry form that it was 51 Sqn RAF Regt & the rear end blown up in Afghanistan. No doubt seeing more action than many of the vehicles at the show. But despite having supplied the history the commentator merely mentioned that it was "a pick up truck & someone has fitted a hard top". So no I didn't bother going round on the other two days.

Being asked to speak about your vehicle in the arena can be daunting & I can well understand people's reserve about about wanting to do this.

I am reasonably happy to babble on endlessly about my particular vehicle. What I do find a hindrance is to hear myself echoing through the PA system with a half second delay so I have to carry on talking over myself. This means a certain determination in trying to keep on track what you are trying to say.

I don't know whether the isolation of a commentary box cuts out this echo effect. But generally I think commentators do quite well. Its not a job I would want to undertake. Sometimes exhibitors present themselves in vehicles other than the one booked in & the commentator has to think on his feet. I would find this extremely difficult unless the vehicle was a Humber 1 Ton or a Shorland.

Given the random way in which vehicles line up for the arena parade, it must be very difficult for a commentator to find interesting things to say about a vehicle of which several have already passed through & possible several more further back in the queue.

I think the most skilled at this was David Fletcher of the Tank Museum with his commentaries at GDSF. He always managed to weave a connecting story between the vehicles driving in. These are of course not chronologically presented, their role & country of origin was totally random, yet he was able to string the whole commentary into a coherent, interesting & often amusing story. A particular highlight for me was to stop the Hornet/Malkara near the commentary box & slowly pan the missiles in his direction!

But things can vary, one show I took the Wolf & had presented its history on the entry form that it was 51 Sqn RAF Regt & the rear end blown up in Afghanistan. No doubt seeing more action than many of the vehicles at the show. But despite having supplied the history the commentator merely mentioned that it was "a pick up truck & someone has fitted a hard top". So no I didn't bother going round on the other two days.

The echo effect is very disconcerting and you learn through experience not to listen to yourself!!

Agreed about David Fletcher at the GDSF, the trick as you say is to be coherent and not only look at the vehicle in front of you but also the ones behind..............a bit of mental agility required to commentate on one vehicle and thisk what you are going to say about the next!!

Again very true about the same type of vehicle, but the trick is to keep your powder dry so to speak and not to let all the facts go with the first vehicle!!

It is a bit annoying as well that the details you put on the entry form rarely get passed into the commentary box!!

A bit of banter with the driver/passenger can also go down well with both the crowd and the owners!!

Its hard work, but quite enjoyable (especially the first pint after a day in the arena!!) and it is as I have said before the fact that people dont bother to bring their vehicles round is a great shame

Try it next time you are at a show...................who knows you might enjoy it!!!

FWIW - I try to get whatever vehicle(s) I have at a show in the arena. Only the OT was there at W&PR this year and I know I missed at least one morning slot because we were busy talking to members of the public but we made all the afternoon and themed slots where applicable. Any show the OT gets to - currently just W&PR and Damyns Hall is the only chance it gets for a work out so we try to be as thorough as possible. Hopefully it means the audience get there monies worth as well. Certainly two OT's spinning at speed on the spot seem to be an attraction! :-D

If the Landie is there I try to get that in too - even though there are so many there. Couldn't take it in at Damyns this year as I got a slow puncture in both rear wheels as soon as I arrived on the Friday. I will next year though if all goes well. Also next year the UAZ will hopefully be completed and running so some of the RA guys will be giving that a run if the OT is in as well.

Don't get worried by microphones any more as the arena crews are all familiar with the beast (although it appears one got his notes mixed up with a 432's this year telling the crowds they were slow, high maintenance machines...)

In Australia we dont have arena events, like you guys, but we do try and attend ANZAC day events. Generally we will enter our vehicles in the parade and then afterwards display it for a while. I find that it can be a very nerve wracking experience, particularly when you take your eyes of your Saracen for one minute and see a dozen kids climbing all over it and about to walk barefoot on the exhaust cover. I yelled at the top of my voice to get off the vehicle, followed by a mother of one of the little mongrels, berate me about yelling at her kids. I tried to explain to her the imminent danger that her mongrel kids were in, but she stated loudly to her kids, 'lets get away from the bad man'. Short of running her over, I was so angry at the stupidity of that mother and also the idiot that argued with me that the Saracen had a Merlin engine. By that stage my level of tolerance for these idiots had dropped to a level where I was not filtering my language and had become quite verbose. Fortunately I had a good friend, who suggested that, for me, the day was over. I drove home in a huff!

Also, that idiot that has to tells you that his uncle has one of these vehicle, but its better than yours! I have no time for that idiot either. That idiot cant remember what his 'uncle' has, or where he lives, but its heaps better than mine, and his uncle was also a general in the army and navy at the same time. My response to this idiot......... 'Go away'!

The idiot that boasts proudly in front of his wife and children that he worked on/drove in/shot down/designed one of these vehicles in (submit war), when you know damn well that the vehicle post dates, or pre dates that war by about 30 years. But pulling this idiot up, during his proud, but fabricated rant, just simply isnt worth it, unless its latter in the day and you are sick of idiots telling you that the Saracen has a Merlin engine in it.

Im sure their is a bunch of other familiar characters that you all come across. But my favorite is definitely the 'my uncle has one' guy! Followed closely by the, 'my kids are alright to climb in it' woman!

Regards, OZITIM

In Australia we dont have arena events, like you guys, but we do try and attend ANZAC day events. Generally we will enter our vehicles in the parade and then afterwards display it for a while. I find that it can be a very nerve wracking experience, particularly when you take your eyes of your Saracen for one minute and see a dozen kids climbing all over it and about to walk barefoot on the exhaust cover. I yelled at the top of my voice to get off the vehicle, followed by a mother of one of the little mongrels, berate me about yelling at her kids. I tried to explain to her the imminent danger that her mongrel kids were in, but she stated loudly to her kids, 'lets get away from the bad man'. Short of running her over, I was so angry at the stupidity of that mother and also the idiot that argued with me that the Saracen had a Merlin engine. By that stage my level of tolerance for these idiots had dropped to a level where I was not filtering my language and had become quite verbose. Fortunately I had a good friend, who suggested that, for me, the day was over. I drove home in a huff!

Also, that idiot that has to tells you that his uncle has one of these vehicle, but its better than yours! I have no time for that idiot either. That idiot cant remember what his 'uncle' has, or where he lives, but its heaps better than mine, and his uncle was also a general in the army and navy at the same time. My response to this idiot......... 'Go away'!

The idiot that boasts proudly in front of his wife and children that he worked on/drove in/shot down/designed one of these vehicles in (submit war), when you know damn well that the vehicle post dates, or pre dates that war by about 30 years. But pulling this idiot up, during his proud, but fabricated rant, just simply isnt worth it, unless its latter in the day and you are sick of idiots telling you that the Saracen has a Merlin engine in it.

Im sure their is a bunch of other familiar characters that you all come across. But my favorite is definitely the 'my uncle has one' guy! Followed closely by the, 'my kids are alright to climb in it' woman!

Regards, OZITIM

I can relate, there is allways 1 or 2 people around like that.

If its army green some poeple seem to think they are entitled to walk, stand or sit in it. After all, army vehicles are surely cheap things.....bleeeeeh.:mad:

We let kids sit in ours under supervision. they are better behaved then the bare foot climbing without approval types.

mentally disabled kids are welcome too, the drool comes off with a cloth, pictures and drawings are received with a warm smile.

Red head girls get the special treatment, they are allowed to touch the brake and accelerator pedal, hold the steering wheel and get a drink of choice.

Regards, OZITIM

Reckon we've all had those, had one bloke looking at the Rugged Robin who came over and declared he knew the man who built that, but I'd never seen him before in my life!

Some of the stuff that's told to me about my Scammell Explorer is pretty hard to believe too!

It doesn't annoy me I just humour them, they can come out with some funny stuff that just adds to the daftness round the fire later on..

Ask them where their car is... tell them you're going to go jump on their roof and you hope they wont mind.

Put in that context I've found that with many people the penny drops and they apologise.

If that doesnt work, get in the vehicle and drive off... they fall off quickly enough.

It's not only military vehicles it happens with. My girlfriend shouted at a young boy to stop him touching a hot part of a 5" gauge steam loco. Only for the mother to say I'm sure she didn't mean to shout at you. To which my girlfriend replied yes I did! Mother didn't seem very happy, I'm sure she would have been less happy with a burnt child.

Ed

Mate of mine used to live on a boat on a mooring. Often fishermen would go aboard so that they could fish nearer the center of the river.

They thought nothing of it and were horrified at the suggestion that my mate might want to sit in their lounge in wellies

I had a discussion about kids and hot vehicle parts with the wife.

we both agree ... let them get burned, it is a learning moment.

it teaches them to not touch things (they might lose the other hand too).

I do need to state that the wife has zero tolerance for stupid people.:-D

I have nothing but the highest regard for commentators at shows only because I don't want to do it, but could do without the uninformed comments like "they used to call K9s dogs in the Army .... K9, dog ... get it?" or "I don't know what this is, it says Saracen in the programme .... I think it's a modified Ferret!" and the best one of all " they call this an 80 inch Land Rover because it measures 80 inches from front to rear bumper"

We find camo nets are the best deterrent for climbers ........

could do without the uninformed comments like "they used to call K9s dogs in the Army .... K9, dog ... get it?"

Hmm yes almost as bad as this one I get "Called a Pig because it is a pig to drive"

NO! It is very easy & a delight to drive :-D

As both an ehxibitor of vehicles,organiser of shows and marshal at events - its a real can of worms you guys have opened up here! - personally i always try and am usually lucky to be able to walk around prior to the arean event and ask for volunteers to join me,usually i have a great responce - Yes i live in the back of my truck and display it as part of a diarahma - but i spend half an hour getting things stowed in the back and then i display in the areana - i use it to explain to the public of our presence at the given show and where we are / please go and talk to the owners etc....

Yes i agree its not always safe to leave your campsite / display - but usually there is someone nearby(fellow camper or stallholder) who is happy to keep an eye on things - again i try to take any valubles with me and not leave all for the lightfingered oppertunists!

Im always concerned as to vehicle movement at shows,especially when retruning to your park up area,where large vehicles are then trying to revers into their previous positions and Jo Public often are oblivious to whats going on around them.....but again we have a great system here where we marshall each other and hold the public back etc...

Likewise when parked - we try to avoid the regimented lines of vehicles that were often the case a few years back - we try to park as random as we can get away with which again add to the diarhamas and displays....Yes this hobby id definetely two halves when it comes to shows - the day time / public / arena /talks to those who are interested etc....and the evenings of beer/bbqs and socializing......and i wouldnt have it any other way !!!!

....Yes this hobby id definetely two halves when it comes to shows - the day time / public / arena /talks to those who are interested etc....and the evenings of beer/bbqs and socializing......and i wouldnt have it any other way !!!!

....... and I whole heartedly agree!

I have never been in an arena with a mv to date but have several times in the past with my civvy vehicles. Basically as a intorverted extrovert :undecided: I don't tend to volunteer for an opportunity to show off but if asked I'm up for it. A bit of a pain for an organiser but what can I say, I am needy.

As a punter at the shows I like to see the larger unusual vehicles in moving in the arena, basically stuff that makes a 5 yr old say "awesome!". As for the more mundane normal vehicles that I own and drive (jeep & land rovers) I prefer interesting static displays with a few choice props unless they are doing something really interested and not just going in a circle.

I really do hate the bores that feel the need to tell me at length what is wrong with mine and prove they are superior to all in earshot. This is of course entirely differnt from the freindly quiet and polite advice which is gratefully received and normally given by those that really do know .

Ben

I've felt a bit indifferent to taking the tracked vehicles I look after into the W&P arena over the last few years. It used to be the only time we got to play with these toys and explore some of their capabilities (and so we would subsequently use any tenuous excuse to take them in), but over the last few years driving them on the road (as we have got them more reliable) has become more enjoyable to me than driving in circles.

However things changed while at W&P as having gone for a ride in the arena in Marks ARRV "Shrek" on the Wednesday at W&P, I spent so much time waving to the excited kids at the edge of the arena that it put the fun back into it. In my other hobby (waving a shovel and making smoke on a well known preserved railway) we spend a lot of time engaging the public, smiling and waving. I guess being in a hot, noisy armoured box with limited visibility while concentrating on driving makes it easy to forget that there are people out there who are enjoying watching your vehicle on the move. Similarly, at a local show over the weekend the looks on peoples faces while trundling around a tiny arena made it worth the effort.

One thing I do miss about the arena on the old W&P site was the armoured traffic jam that build up while waiting to go in for the weekend armour displays. I think it was the fact that there was public on both sides of it made it a real spectacle.

I dont think it matter whether its an AFV or a Jeep

Each vehicle has a story to tell and everyone is different (even Jeeps!!!)

I commentate on the Series Land Rovers at a local event, this year there were over 30 of them in the parade, but we managed to keep the crowd entertained with a few facts about each one, a bit of history of the marque and a bit of banter with the owners

So dont be shy...................get your vehicles into the ring as I said before moving vehicles are far more interesting than ones parked in a line that drive in on the Saturday, park up, put the party tent up cover the vehicles in a cam net(not even properly!!) and drive out on the Sunday

Please note I am not talking about dioramas and displays but everything else!!!

The other thing that bugs me..................why oh why do people feel they have to park so close to each other, I enjoy photographing vehicles (of all shapes and sizes) so leave a bit of room!!!!

(The last remark is aimed at both owners and more importantly organisers)

The thing I find interesting though, is that after you have had a hundred people come past and tell you that they were a door gunner in an F18, or a paratrooper sniper on board HMAS whatever, the occasional person comes past and absolutely stuns you. A couple of years back, my son and I were parked out the front of our house with the Ferret and an old chap walking past stops and starts taking particular notice of the vehicle. My son indicated to me, with that look, 'heres another one dad'. I politely said hi to the old fella, who kept staring at the back of the Ferret and exclaimed, this is a 4/19th Prince of Wales lighthorse Ferret! I couldn't believe my ears. This old fella had nailed it. With surprise, I asked him how he knew that, and he pointed to a small piece of angle iron welded behind the rear brakeline and said, I welded that on. As is happens, the old fella lives three doors up from me and some time later came back with some photos of his time with the regiment. So I can now say, I know the guy who welded that brake line protector. As for the door gunner on the F18, he never did show me the photos! haha

We let kids sit in ours under supervision. they are better behaved then the bare foot climbing without approval types.

mentally disabled kids are welcome too, the drool comes off with a cloth, pictures and drawings are received with a warm smile.

Red head girls get the special treatment, they are allowed to touch the brake and accelerator pedal, hold the steering wheel and get a drink of choice.

Why do they have to open stowage bins too! They walk right up open the stowage bin and look at whatever is inside. When asked if they were given permission to do that, they look at me with surprise. One day I will shove a very pissed off German Shepard in my stowage pin and see what happens. hahaha

I used to leave one locker unlocked. Inside was a large label: "DON'T BE SO NOSEY"

There were two responses:

A shocked expression & a slamming of the lid

or

A grin & a chuckle

Smoke dischargers are a deep source of fascination for visitors. On one vehicle I could use canvas covers & this greatly reduced curiosity.

On another vehicle that didn't have covers. I had a label "These things are smoke dischargers - Do not talk to the man"

None the less the rubber covers seem to invite groping as it were. I did an experiment that groping activities on the pointed ones were very common, yet the flat covers invited very little physical contact.