Mystery Object No.23

fv1609

Maybe these spheres are not actually weapons, but an experiment on the mechanics of guided missiles, using gyroscopes and steerable thrust vanes.

But might it not be a weapon in its own right?

With the style of illustrations and typeface, I would suggest we are talking about 50-60 years ago.

Yes, spookily enough it was the same year that the requirement for Orange William was drawn up :shake:

& even more spookily my avatar on the left is an Orange William!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing along the lines of James Bond's jetpack from Thunderball?

Nope

Are items 350 in figure two significant, or are they just holding the tank in pace within the sphere?

They support the sphere prior to flight to stop it rolling around.

balls6.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

This thing has been bugging me as well. I seem to get sidetracked over the German WW2 experiments, but since Clive mentioned this thing is dated the same year as Orange William, that has sent me Googling again and Eureka !!!!! I think I have cracked it.

Cannonball D-40

An anti tank guided missile, developed by Applied Physics Laboratory under a US Navy contract. It was spherical, about 24 inches diam., disadvantaged by weight at 300 pounds, also its radio control system was vulnerable to enemy countermeasures. Later versions were lightened and control altered.

You and me both mate!!!!

Come on Clive - put us out of our misery!!!

Oh for goodness sake chaps pull yourselfs together, no that doesn't sound quite right. But the answer when it comes, will be pretty obvious & there will be some self-kicking & "Oh I should have thought of that".

balls7.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

This thing has been bugging me as well. I seem to get sidetracked over the German WW2 experiments, but since Clive mentioned this thing is dated the same year as Orange William, that has sent me Googling again and Eureka !!!!! I think I have cracked it.

Cannonball D-40

An anti tank guided missile, developed by Applied Physics Laboratory under a US Navy contract. It was spherical, about 24 inches diam., disadvantaged by weight at 300 pounds, also its radio control system was vulnerable to enemy countermeasures. Later versions were lightened and control altered.

Yes well done Richard it is indeed an Anti-Tank Guided Missile, obvious now isn'it! Although this is a US patent, somewhere I have a PRO document of a British spherical ATGM. I forgotten the name it was something like Green Grass/Cheese/Water. I know it was none of those but something similar.

Anyway here is the link that describes the missile in detail that I have been getting the pictures from & apologies to R.S.Rae for not including the name on the drawings. But I know you lot would have just googled that in & got to it that way. Although I did do that & google gets bogged down in Royal Aircraft Establisment.

BTW google-patents has quite a feast of the unusual & intriguing but it is restricted to US patents.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=TfROAAAAEBAJ&dq=anti+tank+guided+weapon