Mystery Object No.23

fv1609

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be a Kugelblitz ("round lightning") ? An explosive gas weapon using a 50:50 mix of butane and propane, with gyroscopic stabilisation, I believe designed to intercept bombers. Possibly with remote control and was being developed at late part of WW2 by the Germans, in Italy.

Nope not a Kugelblitz, although that sounds an intriguing device.

with an internal temperature of 3500 deg F producing 1200 psi at the jets, dose it run on steam?

Nope

Assume it is not controled via radio wave as it seem too early looking at the drawing :dunno:

Are you sure about that?

Nope :-)

Makes it even more confusing if anything >:(

A decoy? Maybe to attract heat seeking missiles?

Nope

Jeessss...are you making these up!!!

Nope, I'm not that clever. Well does this help or confuse?

balls3.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

Would it be a Kugelblitz ("round lightning") ? An explosive gas weapon using a 50:50 mix of butane and propane, with gyroscopic stabilisation, I believe designed to intercept bombers. Possibly with remote control and was being developed at late part of WW2 by the Germans, in Italy.

Interesting. I am sure the Germans also developed an anti-aircraft system in the style of the latter-day Russian ZSU23/4, IIRC on the chassis of a Mark 4 late in the war, which answered to the name Kugelblitz.

Looking at the diagram of the internals, I'm guessing its a two part propellant...one part being held in each end of the cylinder and fed through parts 181 and 207, the other being held in the central tank and fed directly into the pitch, yaw and roill jets?

There do not appear to be any control equipment, unless the valves (233) are pre-set and self correct the flight, or the controls have been perposely not shown?

Has anyone been even remotely close to what this is?

Arrr it may not be designed too, but can it?

No idea, but Andrew you leading yourself up the garden path on this line of thinking. There are weapons system in service today that perform the role proposed for these jet powered balls.

Interesting. I am sure the Germans also developed an anti-aircraft system in the style of the latter-day Russian ZSU23/4, IIRC on the chassis of a Mark 4 late in the war, which answered to the name Kugelblitz.

Alien,

You are right, but I was not aware of it having the same name, evidently Kugelblitz means "ball lightning" or similar, which could well describe Clive's mystery object. The first reference I found to Kugelblitz was a fiery sphere that could be remote controled by direction, when I did another search, the tracked AA system came up.

Richard,

yes I read that:

The Japanese R&D team put the machines together, following the German instructions, and... there was something very bizarre and other-earthy standing in front of them -- a ball shaped flying device without wings or propellers, that nobody knew how it flied. The fuel was added, the start button of this unmanned machine was pressed and it .... disappeared with a roar and flames without [into] the sky. The team never saw it again. The engineers were so frightened by the unexpected might of the machine, that they promptly dynamited the second prototype and choose to forget the whole incident."

did seem to fit the bill, but a Japanese/German collaboration to build it was discounted in an earlier post, so I dropped that line of thought.

Mick

Looking at the diagram of the internals, I'm guessing its a two part propellant...one part being held in each end of the cylinder and fed through parts 181 and 207, the other being held in the central tank and fed directly into the pitch, yaw and roill jets?

There do not appear to be any control equipment, unless the valves (233) are pre-set and self correct the flight, or the controls have been perposely not shown?

balls5.jpg

Has anyone been even remotely close to what this is?

No not really, it is the shape that is confusing people.

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

You say its about 2ft diameter, and its a weapon.

Does it rely purely on its speed and weight to cause destruction, or is it some kind of defensive/decoy weapon?

There does not appear to be any sort of payload...explosive or otherwise?

Is the water cooling to make it stealthy...so the device has minimal heat signature?

You say its about 2ft diameter, and its a weapon.

Does it rely purely on its speed and weight to cause destruction,

Nope

There does not appear to be any sort of payload...explosive or otherwise?

yes there is

Is the water cooling to make it stealthy...so the device has minimal heat signature?

No i don't think that was the primary reason

dammit Clive!!!

OK, are they detonators or something on the front? Is that why it needs to travel in a particular orientation, to keep them forward facing?

Is it used against something on land or in the air?

Mick

Maybe these spheres are not actually weapons, but an experiment on the mechanics of guided missiles, using gyroscopes and steerable thrust vanes. With the style of illustrations and typeface, I would suggest we are talking about 50-60 years ago.

dammit Clive!!!

Why do you want to get some sleep tonight?

OK, are they detonators or something on the front? Is that why it needs to travel in a particular orientation, to keep them forward facing?

Not so much that but you might loose control if the openings below 260 & 112 don't face you.

Also pitch & yaw get lost making control difficult

Is it used against something on land or in the air?

something on the land