Thinking of first V Purchase - FV1601, some basic questions

Fatboy

Question

Hi Everyone,

I've been wanting an MV for years (ever since I got to sit in a Chieftain as an 8-year old :)) and really like the look of the Humber 1-Ton pickups (love the swoopy/curvy 1950s styling), and I' finally in a position where I've got somewhere to put one and work on it, and lo and behold, there's one up for sale on Milweb (http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=73546&cat=3)

I've done a lot of researching on the web, and details seem to be a bit sketchy (or just hard to find -sorry if this has been posted on here before and I've just missed it!), but what I have been able to find out is that a lot of parts are unobtainable (not too bothered about body panels, got a few mates into Hotrods and a lot of time and effort can re-create those), so I've got a few questions I'm hoping the HMVF collective can help with:

Are there any real problem parts to source from the drivetrain, and are there more easily sourced alternatives (I've seen FV1609's post that he's had to cannabalise a thoroughly knackered FV1601 for drivetrain parts for his other FV1600 variants)?

Other than the dreaded tinworm, are there any other key areas of concern to look out for?

Does anyone know the vehicle in the Milweb ad? I've not spoken to the guy selling it yet, as I didn't want to waste his time before I'd done a bit more research... I'm not after something to just hop in and drive, I like the idea of a longer term project, but don't really want a complete and utter basket case! :)

Am I right in thinking that these weigh about 3.5 tons, and does anyone have any rough idea what it would cost to get it Transported from Kent up to Cumbria (where I live, South Lakes area just near Ulverston)?

I think a Pig would be a bit much for a first MV (although I guess panel rust isn't such an issue for the Pigs :))

:)

If it helps I can tell you that apart from the weight of certain panels and a handful of parts the Pig is a much easier vehicle to live with than most would think. Its concept is quite simple in design regarding the hull and I can confirm that rust is much less of an issue. All the weakest panels on the Pig are cosmetic, and very easy to recreate due to clean lines and angular construction.

I wouldn't part with mine and I now she survived in a previous life outside for some years a lot better than the GS did or could.

I have a Pig and a Landrover Mk8 and the Pig has many simplistic features compared to the Landy.

I do agree though that the GS is a very handsome vehicle.

I hope you find the vehicle of your dreams.

You definitely will not be short of help and support from the Humber guys on here.

Best of luck.

Wayne

My first MV was the Saracen; it was a little daunting at first, but a bit of reading and some help from the forum and I'm managing ok. The Pig shouldn't be much more challenging than the GS Humber in reality and is a very striking vehicle. The GS, of course, is rarer and a very good looking vehicle. Either way, Clive can answer any questions you might have ;)

Cheers,

Terry

I think the insulation was dual purpose. It underwent some trials in Australia, although mechanically it did not do too well due to poor technical back up. None the less the Australian Army bought some although they were officially designated as Commer FV1601.

Yes, badged as Commer here in Australia. I think that there were only 100 supplied to the Australian Army.

Here are a few photos of my FV1601 (Commer). The photo is not too clear, but I think the chassis number is 6310006 with engine number 13677. it has 22562 miles on the clock and the usual rust around the cabin.

I must tell you of a funny experience when I went to view it up in far north New South Wales. The owner said that it ran very sweetly, but when he started it up it had a knock that was consistent with the engine revs. More frequently at higher revs and less at lower. It sounded to both he and I of a big end knock. "Never heard that before", he said. I said that I wasn't interested at his price with that knock as it looked like an engine rebuild was needed, so he halved the price. I had it tilt-bedded home some 1,200 km and when it was unloaded of course it was in the wrong place. The next day I fired it up to move it and there was no sign of any knock. That was worrying as an intermittent knock is often hard to find. I tested the lights, wipers and anything else I could think of including the air compressor and guess what, there was that knock again. It was the compressor working away and had been engaged when we tested it.

Anyway good luck with your purchase.

Regards Rick.

Ricks Photos 216.jpg

Ricks Photos 191.jpg

Ricks Photos 238.jpg

Ricks Photos 236.jpg

Ricks Photos 239.jpg

Thank you for sharing those Rick. I've often wondered about numbers supplied, on this handbook it suggests 250. But that may be the numbers of handbooks supplied! Sorry its difficult to read the scan, reads "IB 250" & on the second page it reads: "250 - FV1601"

App2376.jpg

I don't know if you saw my post on the W&P thread but I obtained an EMER index for the early mods. I wonder does anyone over there have a comparable list of Mods, which in your case would be in EMEI (AUST)?

It would be interesting to see if any EMER Mods were shared & translated over to EMEI or whether Mods were based on local problems & local solutions.

The guy who went to see it last weekend bought it :( Thanks for all the advice everyone!

But at least she's off to a good home, and I'll get back to looking - it wouldn't have been the best timing for me, but that one came up and they're not exactly common so need to grab an opportunity when it arises :)

I'll join thay newsgroup you posted clive, should be an interesting read :)

Shame for you. Paradox is that it must have an ok one. If it didn't sell then it might not have a very good one. Trying to approve your Yahoo application but can't log in I'm afraid. Away at show need to do it on home pc.

Hi fatboy, just found your thread today and I've been trying to message you I'm the guilty party that bought the Humber, I feel guilty now! but in my defence it is rustier than it looks, the roof has nearly separated around the gutter due to someone's past body filler repair, the driver side step has fallen off due to the sill being non existent, it has a landrover tail gate, a dodgy repair to the cargo floor, its rusted through along the cargo body on top of the bins and someone has tried to bodge the wiring, ( I'm trying to justify it by saying I've saved you)!but its better than the cargo version I was going to restore, ok that explains it better!

Keep looking you will find one, always buy the one with the best body you can the mechanicals and electrics are easy. The Pig is easier to restore but the soft skin is more drivable more stylish and way cooler! ( that will start a debate) haha .

I came close to buying this in early 2000's at Beltring ,the Landrover tailgate was the give away ! I offered a couple of hundred as a cheeky bid and only just missed out by another couple I was told at the time ! The headlamps where full of water then and she was not running on all cylinders :-) Glad she's still around and on someones to do list ! I'd have one tomo if I had the welding and fabricating skills of some of our members ! :D Best of luck with her !

Hi fatboy, just found your thread today and I've been trying to message you I'm the guilty party that bought the Humber, I feel guilty now! but in my defence it is rustier than it looks, the roof has nearly separated around the gutter due to someone's past body filler repair, the driver side step has fallen off due to the sill being non existent, it has a landrover tail gate, a dodgy repair to the cargo floor, its rusted through along the cargo body on top of the bins and someone has tried to bodge the wiring, ( I'm trying to justify it by saying I've saved you)!but its better than the cargo version I was going to restore, ok that explains it better!

Keep looking you will find one, always buy the one with the best body you can the mechanicals and electrics are easy. The Pig is easier to restore but the soft skin is more drivable more stylish and way cooler! ( that will start a debate) haha .

now we are waiting for the restoration thread :D

Hi,

I got all three messages, sorry been offline for a couple of days!

I'm dissapointed I missed out, but very glad that she's gone to a good home :)

Looking forward to a restoration thread :)

Edited to add - for me the restoration work is a very big part of the enjoyment of old vehicles (or houses tbh :) )

Cheers,

Fatboy

Edited by Fatboy
forgot a bit :-)

Shame for you. Paradox is that it must have an ok one. If it didn't sell then it might not have a very good one. Trying to approve your Yahoo application but can't log in I'm afraid. Away at show need to do it on home pc.

Thanks Clive, no rush :) I've been out and about so not picked up on this thread!

Thanks Sean,

I've looked at a few other trucks/utlilities, but nothing else has (to me) the appeal of the Humber - they just got the design so right with it, and I'd want something a little bigger than a Champ (I'm a large-ish chap, need a reasonable amount of space in the driver's seat (and prefer tin-tops)...

Any other ideas more than welcome :)

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2014 at 5:41 AM, Fatboy said:

Thanks Sean,

I've looked at a few other trucks/utlilities, but nothing else has (to me) the appeal of the Humber - they just got the design so right with it, and I'd want something a little bigger than a Champ (I'm a large-ish chap, need a reasonable amount of space in the driver's seat (and prefer tin-tops)...

Any other ideas more than welcome :)

looking for speedo and tacho cables for fv1601 iam from south Australia cheers