Buying a Rep .30 cal browning

gadgit

Thinking of getting a Browning .30 cal GPMG for my jeep.

Not buying a deact, cos of the now huge cost!!

So, has anyone bought one from Crossfire replica's as from the limited pitures it look good.

Having already had help from you lot before, it would be good to know what you all think.

Muckabouts look ok, but?

Any other advice would be good.

cheers.

I think there could well be a case to answer under the trade discriptions act, the standard of workman ship is unbelivable P### Pore, more like a kids toy and breaches the trade discriptions act.

I very much agree, they are utter rubbish...........

You will not get a quality replica for that price.

I do agree with you Adrian, but the point is neither should you be ripped of on a piece of S###e like that because wonga is a bit tight, this is not a cheap hobby as you are very well aware and every one trys there best with whot thay can devote to there hobby at the very least a certain standard of competent workmanship should be evident, were as in this case there is none evident whot so ever, just the but alone looks as if it was made by Conan the whitler with a pen knife.

I have a friend who makes them for me, i dont know how much you were planning to pay, would you let me know.

If he can do it for that money it 'WILL' be better.

I didnt bother finding out the price for either company because i had seen both products before and didnt want either, I certainly didnt want a washer partly welded to the end of the tube off centre !

10500340_260219374168346_3524441662209940238_n.jpg

I will find better pics if you like, (and with less germans)

Thanks for the info....

A deac browning .30 cal is around £1200-£1500 for a nice one, but is this past the point of getting your money back in a few years time? I would hope it would still go up in value, and better than 2.5% in a long term ISA investment.

Someone said to me at the last event, that I should buy a real one as this will give me a great feeling of owning a piece of history. This would also stop people taking the p--s...

I just wish i could find an American air base in England during the war which had a jeep with a Bren gun fitted, as this would be a reasonable price compared to the Browning.

A fair price for a great Browning .30 cal GPMG Copy........ I'm thinking a nice job just for the gun....£300-£500 ???

Half the trouble is that you only have to enter an engineering company doors and that's £200

Cheers chaps.

Thanks for the info....

A deac browning .30 cal is around £1200-£1500 for a nice one, but is this past the point of getting your money back in a few years time? I would hope it would still go up in value, and better than 2.5% in a long term ISA investment.

Someone said to me at the last event, that I should buy a real one as this will give me a great feeling of owning a piece of history. This would also stop people taking the p--s...

I just wish i could find an American air base in England during the war which had a jeep with a Bren gun fitted, as this would be a reasonable price compared to the Browning.

A fair price for a great Browning .30 cal GPMG Copy........ I'm thinking a nice job just for the gun....£300-£500 ???

Half the trouble is that you only have to enter an engineering company doors and that's £200

Cheers chaps.

The guy who makes them for me has that figure in mind as well, (300 - 500)

It will be more like 300 if he has a few to do. If it is just 1 to make then towards 500.

The question is how many people want one, are there a couple of people who want one, if so let me know.

I can understand your frustration. The quality of many of the replicas out there is truly appalling. Some built of out MDF board and still fetches a ton of money to buy.

Best bet would be to get complete drawings, including CAD ones, so you can male your own. I have bought the complete plans for a number of machine guns used on WW2 vehicles, M1919 30 cal, Ma Deuce 50 cal, Vickers K, etc. and they're great! You will only need to have the drawings printed at a print shop, into A3, A2 and A1 sizes [few of us have printers at home that can handle those sizes =) ]Browning30Cal007_th.JPG

The complete package, for each type of gun, costs only 9.99US$ (!). For that price it cannot be beat.

Here's a link to the webpage:

http://www.john-tom.com/ForSale/ForSale.html#Browning30Cal

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing. (We love photo's here too)

Goran N

Vickers K copy_0006.jpg

Browning30Cal001_th.JPG

Browning30Cal002_th.JPG

I've bought a 30cal from crossfire and it is fine and would certainly recommend it for the money. You could also try Dave Roe Halftract Parts (see Milweb). I saw some of his a few years ago at Beltring and they were very good. Not sure what sort on money they are but I don't think they were much different to CrossFfre.

Hope this helps.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

I have just purchased a replica from Crossfire and I can only say it is an excellent product. I contacted Marina at Crossfire after reading these posts and explained my requirements. Marina was extremely helpful and after several phone calls I purchased a 30cal and pedestal for my Jeep. The only thing she did not have was the stay which holds the gun in transit but I had a solution for that myself. I went to pick up the gun personally and when I arrived to my surprise they had manufactured a stay. I was over the moon. This is a sheet metal machine shop and if you know about metal and metal workships it has a smell and it certainly had that. I went a way a happy customer. Highly recommended.

• 3 months later...

I bought a military muckabouts one, utter utter ****, crap welling, bits of polymer stuck on it, crap paint job and didn't fit in the mount.

I bought a Crossfire one, different class, utter utter work of art for the money, all metal, all nicely welded, power coated, removable barrel (.50) and it went straight into the mount and even at the later optic mount fitted.

Do not MUCK ABOUT, Crossfire all the way!!!!!

50.jpg

I've Brought a Lewis gun, 50cal and 30cal from Crossfire over the years and I cant recommend them enough, they are friendly, helpful and the workmanship and value for money is spot on. I've only ever seen Military muckabouts stuff and it dosent look good

• 2 months later...
Sorry to butt in but are we allowed to make replica weapons? I thought it was illegal to build your 'own' replicas. Forgive me if I have got this wrong.

Beat me to it, I was about to ask the same, I'm sure I could make one indistinguishable from the real thing.

From what I understand, it is illegal to manufacture a realistic imitation firearm unless you can prove it is for a re-enactment group, film work, exhibition etc. what is odd is that there was no mention of manufacturing something for your self, only manufacturing for a second party. However what I read suggests that if you paint in bright colours then it is no longer realistic and is legal. It then goes on to say that after manufacture this rule isn't applicable as a new owner can alter the colours. Very bizarre and pointless Act!

[h=3]Definitions of "Imitation Firearms", "Realistic Imitation Firearms" and "Readily Convertible Imitations"[/h][h=4]Imitation Firearms[/h]An imitation firearm means "any thing which has the appearance of being a firearm (other than such a weapon as is mentioned in section 5(1) (b) of this Act), whether or not it is capable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile." section 57(4). This means that an offence requiring "possession" or "having with him/her" a firearm or imitation firearm requires a "thing" which is separate and distinct from a person. Putting a hand inside a jacket and using fingers to force out the material to give the impression of a firearm falls outside the scope of such offences, as a person's bodily parts is not a "thing". (R v Bentham [2005] UKHL18.) R v Morris and King, 79 Cr App R 104, CA: when considering whether a thing has the appearance of being a firearm the jury should consider its appearance at the time of the offence and should also be assisted by the evidence of the witness who saw the thing at the time of the offence.

Unlike with "Realistic Imitation Firearms", it is not always necessary to obtain evidence from the FSP on whether the thing is an imitation firearm. Evidence of the Firearms Officer will usually be sufficient expert evidence.

An imitation firearm will be treated as a firearm to which section 1 Firearms Act 1968 applies if:

• it has the appearance of such a weapon and
  • it can be readily convertible into a weapon from which a shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged (section 1 (1) and 1 (2) Firearms Act 1968).

See readily convertible imitations elsewhere in this guidance

[h=4]Realistic Imitation Firearms[/h]From 1 October 2007, section 36 Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 created an offence to manufacture, bring into or cause to be brought into Great Britain, or sell realistic imitation firearms. It also made it an offence to modify an imitation firearm to make it realistic.

Section 37 relates to specific defences: this allows persons in the course of trade or business to import realistic imitation firearms for the purpose of modifying them to make them non-realistic. It also provides various defences if the realistic imitation firearm was available for:

• a museum or gallery;
  • theatrical performances and rehearsals of such performances;
  • the production of films and television programmes;
  • the organisation and holding of historical re-enactments; or
  • crown servants.

Section 38 defines a "realistic imitation firearm" as "an imitation firearm which has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm". As a result of "real firearm" (defined in section 38 (7)) imitations of pre-1870 firearms are not caught by the offence.

Whether an imitation firearm falls within the definition of a realistic imitation firearm should be judged from the perspective of how it looks at the point of manufacture, import or sale and not how it might be appear if it were being misused. Section 38(3) provides that in determining whether an imitation firearm is distinguishable from a real firearm, its size, shape and principal colour must be taken into account.

It is worth keeping in mind that the intention behind this measure is to stop the supply of imitations which look so realistic that they are being used by criminals to threaten and intimidate others. If it is not a realistic imitation firearm it may still be an imitation firearm.

I bought a military muckabouts one, utter utter ****, crap welling, bits of polymer stuck on it, crap paint job and didn't fit in the mount.

I bought a Crossfire one, different class, utter utter work of art for the money, all metal, all nicely welded, power coated, removable barrel (.50) and it went straight into the mount and even at the later optic mount fitted.

Do not MUCK ABOUT, Crossfire all the way!!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98551[/ATTACH]

Is this the picture of the actual purchased gun? It looks very nice! What was the cost? I'm almost tempted to mount one on the roof of my Chevrolet Silverado pick up truck, hehehe, it will make me popular with the neighbors;)

• 4 months later...

Some of you may find this hard to believe, but the Army in the shape of the TA in Wigan use 'weapons' supplied by Military Muckabouts! At a show of strength in Preston town centre this past Saturday a sand yellow Land Rover from the above unit was parked up next to the Harris Library with both the infamous GPMG and a 0.50 calibre Browning mounted. A separate non-attached unit displayed a real GPMG on a tripod. So if its good enough for them .............

Recently bought a GPMG replica from them - it didn't fit the Spartan mount, so they came all the way from Sussex - a round trip of 6 hours plus to measure the mount, took the original back and sent me one that fitted.

I would highly recommend them.

Diana

Thinking of getting a Browning .30 cal GPMG for my jeep.

Not buying a deact, cos of the now huge cost!!

So, has anyone bought one from Crossfire replica's as from the limited pitures it look good.

Having already had help from you lot before, it would be good to know what you all think.

Muckabouts look ok, but?

Any other advice would be good.

cheers.

Some of you may find this hard to believe, but the Army in the shape of the TA in Wigan use 'weapons' supplied by Military Muckabouts! At a show of strength in Preston town centre this past Saturday a sand yellow Land Rover from the above unit was parked up next to the Harris Library with both the infamous GPMG and a 0.50 calibre Browning mounted. A separate non-attached unit displayed a real GPMG on a tripod. So if its good enough for them .............

I believe Crossfire have done the same to units as well ad private companies that supply vehicles / equipment to the MOD as ive seen their products on display mounted on vehicles.

Because they have never been weapons there's less rules and regs for them to worry about when transporting them, same goes for the MOD hence why they use them rather than De-acts

How does all this affect deacts? They are about as realistic as you can get externally. It seems ridiculous that it is an offence to make a realistic imitation weapon, when you can get hold of a legal deac no problem. Sury any ner- do- well could happily get hold of a deac & wave it about if they wanted to?