• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this report at Tankfest & bought it for AndyM. The scans are his as I no longer have the report. So that is the reason for Andy's unusual silence in this MO. I made no mention of his scans at the outset as that might have been a give away :-D

1020_001w.jpg

0661_001.jpg

1022_001w.jpg

I found this report at Tankfest & bought it for AndyM. The scans are his as I no longer have the report. So that is the reason for Andy's unusual silence in this MO. I made no mention of his scans at the outset as that might have been a give away :-D

Clive,

Interesting reading!

Yes Richard I don't think I have ever seen a report where much attention was paid to crew difficulties under operational conditions. Such difficulties would clearly have an effect on crew efficiency.

Yes Richard I don't think I have ever seen a report where much attention was paid to crew difficulties under operational conditions. Such difficulties would clearly have an effect on crew efficiency.

But did they do anything about it?

Dunno we'll have to ask AndyM as he no doubt has scrutinised the report & matching it up to his Abbot. Interesting to see if they provided a breathable seat covering, shouldn't have been too much of a technical challenge.

Aha - now I can say something without giving the game away!

They temporarily moved the driver's air vent so it was closer to his face instead of his knees(!) but that seems to have been about it. I'll have to see if I can find any follow-up report.

Andy

Sweaty balls is a very common problem in any form of vehicle, here in Australia, on a hot day. For that reason, leather seats aren't very popular here and getting burned by hot leather and/or a red hot seatbelt clip is something every Australian is familiar with. Hot steering wheels and gear shifters are another problem entirely and it is not unheard of to remove your socks and place them over your hands, as field expedient gloves, when the temperature is right up there. On the up side, armoured vehicles don't tend to have direct sunlight on the seats and therefore are a little more humane in some ways than their civilian counterparts.

I think the British solution to the Abbot problem was to pack them back onto their transport ships and take them back to England, where they never encountered sunlight or a hot day ever again :P

As an aside, the Saracen was out of service in Australia by the late 60s, having been replaced with the M113 after a fairly short service life (my Saracen, on the other hand, was in service with the British Army from 1953 to 1993, giving it a 40 year service life).

Cheers,

Terry

Andy may I ask, have you suffered any such dampness yet?

I haven't got the driver's seat back in yet!

IMG_5659aw.jpg

The missing pack might also be a slight problem ... :-)

Andy

Edited by andym
Photo added

Sweaty balls is a very common problem in any form of vehicle, here in Australia, on a hot day. For that reason, leather seats aren't very popular here and getting burned by hot leather and/or a red hot seatbelt clip is something every Australian is familiar with. Hot steering wheels and gear shifters are another problem entirely and it is not unheard of to remove your socks and place them over your hands, as field expedient gloves, when the temperature is right up there. On the up side, armoured vehicles don't tend to have direct sunlight on the seats and therefore are a little more humane in some ways than their civilian counterparts.

I think the British solution to the Abbot problem was to pack them back onto their transport ships and take them back to England, where they never encountered sunlight or a hot day ever again :P

As an aside, the Saracen was out of service in Australia by the late 60s, having been replaced with the M113 after a fairly short service life (my Saracen, on the other hand, was in service with the British Army from 1953 to 1993, giving it a 40 year service life).

Cheers,

Terry

Actually, they just sent the Abbots to Germany instead!

Noting the comment about gear shifters, the report also suggested thermal covering for the steering tillers but that never happened either.

Andy