The Yorkshire Wartime Experience 2014.

Can I second that, please. Had great time - great weather, great vehicles and lots of like-minded people. Highlight for me was meeting fellow QL owners Mark & Craig - we got all three QLs lined up for a photo opportunity. It was also the first time I have managed to get my QL & OXD there together. Pics attached of a few highlights.

Mike

IMG_0089a.jpg

IMG_0097a.jpg

IMG_0203a.JPG

IMG_0223a.jpg

IMG_0231a.jpg

IMG_9890a.jpg

I was there on the Saturday and had a very enjoyable day. The displays of armour went very well, good driving of all concerned, I was impressed, thanks Stuart for organising a good show............

However, there is always an 'however. The First World war display was quite frankly abysmal, also embarrassing as well.

There was a WD motorised tricycle that was described as a Ice Cream van, not told what it actually was. A display of firing a SMLE with ten rounds to show the rapid 15 rds per minute of the BEF, from memory the chap got to three rounds and had a stoppage, then was cheered for his efforts, why ? An attack by two waves of err five or six men, second wave were messing about with a rifle and should have moved off together. Afterwards they ignored the command to 'close in' and the words had to be repeated (with obvious annoyance) Finally the command 'order arms was given half of them 'sloped arms'. I know it is a day out to have a good time for everyone but it was just blinking awful.

Yes, a splendid show - many thanks to all concerned.

So, suggested improvements for next year? Not much to say here really as all the basic arrangements are in place and (from a day visitor's point of view) working very well.

(1) tighten up timings in the main arena.

(2) replace the somewhat tedious infantry demonstrations with more vehicle runs.

Re the latter, it would have been nice to see more lorries (QLs, Stalwarts, US 6x6s etc) running in the main arena. I appreciate that it is a constant worry for the organisers to have vehicles moving through the public areas. A solution would be to have the limited number of lorries (and the AFVs too?) that were due to run in the arena parked in the axis camp field. They could still be seen there by visitors, but access to the arena from there can be more easily cordoned off from the public when required. If I remember correctly, there are already two gates from the axis field into the arena; no reason for the public to even approach the far one for the duration of the event. If the farmer can be persuaded to cut a third gate entering the arena in its far corner, then the bottom end of the axis field could be permanently cordoned off from the public; vehicles could reverse into it out of the display line and then drive in and out of the arena in perfect safety.

Looking forward to next year,

John.

I was there on the Saturday and had a very enjoyable day. The displays of armour went very well, good driving of all concerned, I was impressed, thanks Stuart for organising a good show............

However, there is always an 'however. The First World war display was quite frankly abysmal, also embarrassing as well.

There was a WD motorised tricycle that was described as a Ice Cream van, not told what it actually was. A display of firing a SMLE with ten rounds to show the rapid 15 rds per minute of the BEF, from memory the chap got to three rounds and had a stoppage, then was cheered for his efforts, why ? An attack by two waves of err five or six men, second wave were messing about with a rifle and should have moved off together. Afterwards they ignored the command to 'close in' and the words had to be repeated (with obvious annoyance) Finally the command 'order arms was given half of them 'sloped arms'. I know it is a day out to have a good time for everyone but it was just blinking awful.

Bob

Sorry to have missed you on Saturday - didnt realise you were there until Andy Ferretkitt said you'd been there - had I spotted you we would have insisted on force feeding you tea and biccies!

Had a great weekend - well done and thankyou to all the organisers. Sabre has been a pain in the a**e recently meaning I had not been able to tidy it up pre show as I would have liked. It ran pretty much faultlessly on both days though so cant complain too much!

Tim

Bob

Sorry to have missed you on Saturday - didnt realise you were there until Andy Ferretkitt said you'd been there - had I spotted you we would have insisted on force feeding you tea and biccies!

Had a great weekend - well done and thankyou to all the organisers. Sabre has been a pain in the a**e recently meaning I had not been able to tidy it up pre show as I would have liked. It ran pretty much faultlessly on both days though so cant complain too much!

Tim

I'll second that Tim :-) Many thanks to all organisers and bring on next year! Sorry to miss you too Bob.

Really enjoyed being part of the display again with the ferret.

Cheers

Matt

Big thank you to nelz,Stuart debz and the rest of the team.

Yorkshire wartime experience is without doubt the friendliest show I have attended with a good mix of vehicles and other demonstrations to see.

This is a brilliant show held in the north which hopefully has shown its true potential and will attract even more support from vehicle owners on hmvf as it deserves so next year will be even bigger and better.

Well done again you guys should be very proud and thank you to all on here who attended with some wonderfully turned out vehicles.

Iain Aka sharky