War & Peace 2014

fesm_ndt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I could get there to take photos. There was a lot more to see but was too much area to cover.

Just about to fly out on a mas flight back so I am guessing it will be a sombre flight

Edited by fesm_ndt

Hell of a storm came through after the road run and the winds tore through the campsite turning a lot of tents inside out and wiping a good number of gazebos out and giving us a fantastic electric storm, now a constant gentle rain with the odd flash of lightning.

See what state everything is like in the morning

Steve

Hell of a storm came through after the road run and the winds tore through the campsite turning a lot of tents inside out and wiping a good number of gazebos out and giving us a fantastic electric storm, now a constant gentle rain with the odd flash of lightning.

See what state everything is like in the morning

Steve

I hope everyone is OK.

Hope the campsite and everyone survived without too much discomfort.

Shall be setting off soon with camera charged and wallet full of my allocated spending money for more rusty bits to fill corners of the garage with.

Yes we're still here. Some very hairy moments. Greatest fear was tentage becoming airborne. Here is the storm heading our way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94532[/ATTACH]

It hit us through the night, but we had the comfort of a modern dwelling.

Glad to hear everyone is kinda okay and hope it hasn't spoiled anybody's fun too much.

As they say in the Regiment.

"If it ain't raining. It ain't TRAINING!"..........

Best wishes to all MV colleagues.

Ground very soft with standing water in lots of places but the toilet block near the living history field has no water supply since last night, heavy drizzle at the moment and very grey, apparently a few traders lost tents during the night and the main spectators car park is very slippy with modern cars getting stuck, will be an interesting day.

Steve

I was playing in the arena, teaching two to drive land rovers. We saw the storm come in and drove to the tent to hammer pins and roped things down.

we used the 88 land rover as a storm breaker as the 12 by 12 did not had storm ropes.

the meal we planned to cook was cancelled and went to bed early.

no damage was done to our camp, it could easily been worse.

on a positive note, i did meet Clive with his shoreland, nice man :)

Just got back from a great day. Was very muddy this morning but got better. Car park was very sloppy. Jaguar XJ in front of me got stuck trying to get out and the idiot driver just kept his boot down and showered a family in mud.

My pictures are a bit dark compared to some here due to the morning rain so I'll avoid posting them all and go through them and just get the ones up of anything not previously posted.

Glad I could get there to take photos. There was a lot more to see but was too much area to cover.

Just about to fly out on a mas flight back so I am guessing it will be a somber flight

Good photos, nice to see being shared, a reminder to self remember the diet

To add to Clives storm photo, here are a couple I took as the storm built up, after the last photo I realised it was time to take extra precautions with the marquee, glad I did as it was 20 minutes of high winds that almost blew it away ! From Clives initial photo to my last one, was probably only 10 minutes.

Regards Gary

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

And a few more photos.

Driving James Gosling's C15 Armoured truck around arena on Friday in heat and dust changed overnight to mud.

IMG_6746 (1024x768).jpg

Friday's storm and early rain on Saturday didn't put off the PWRR's first appearance at W&P. Hope it proved to be a good recruiting tool:

IMG_6779 (1024x768).jpg

I've selected a few photos of the weekend. The unusual black Russian Armoured Car is original WWII (not a LR based build up, Tim).

IMG_6807 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6745 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6750 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6753 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6756 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6768 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6774 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6776 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6780 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6803 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6804 (1024x768).jpg

And few more....taken on Sunday, shows the ground conditions towards end of show (when many of the public had started to leave)

IMG_6825 (1024x768).jpg

The white van driver had recently become an IMPS member....and think was surprised to find himself being recovered by the IMPS Chairman late on Sunday. What service!

IMG_6831 (1024x768).jpg

W&PR 2014 finished on a high for me, with a surprise award for best BSA "parabike".

IMG_6841 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6808 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6811 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6813 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6815 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6816 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6819 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6842 (1024x768).jpg

Going back to the pre-storm pictures whilst all that was about to hit us there was quite a different outlook looking west.

DSC07486 (Large).JPG

Being camped near the base of the very large Dutch mast I was greatly relieved when it was lowered. The lull before the storm - no wind.

DSC07499 (Large).jpg

In a matter of seconds the outlook changed & the wind got up.

DSC07502 (Large).JPG

I believe the mast owner won the prize for best exhibit voted by the public. I thanked the owner for bringing it at it was a very striking landmark to help my visitors find me :-D

Great show as always, but its about time the organisors have something arranged for wet weather. Dumping some munched up straw does not hit the spot. I would have thought more "ali track is needed" I know there is a cost but for such an international show its poor.

The main entrance/exit was nothing less than chaotic on Saturday morning,despite the superb efforts of the staff.

Its hard to imagine that a show billed as "the greatest gathering of military vehicles on the planet" can such a poor arrival/departure area. A single track way across the course is not enough.

Frustration set in and I saw a few heated exchanges.

Saying all that I had a week there and had a great time. There seemed to be a few more "freindly" marshalls there this year and much less bad mouthing....I was impressed its being tidied up.....thankyou.

Toilets and showers also seemed better.

However bad the weather was at times I still had a brilliant week. Was good to speak to Clive, Jack, Lex and as always Enigma as well as some others. Lots of mud, dust and oil to clean off the BSA but was all worth it. Spent too much money as usual but thats why I go. Looking forward to next year!

Great show as always, but its about time the organisors have something arranged for wet weather. Dumping some munched up straw does not hit the spot. I would have thought more "ali track is needed" I know there is a cost but for such an international show its poor.

The main entrance/exit was nothing less than chaotic on Saturday morning,despite the superb efforts of the staff.

Its hard to imagine that a show billed as "the greatest gathering of military vehicles on the planet" can such a poor arrival/departure area. A single track way across the course is not enough.

Frustration set in and I saw a few heated exchanges.

Saying all that I had a week there and had a great time. There seemed to be a few more "freindly" marshalls there this year and much less bad mouthing....I was impressed its being tidied up.....thankyou.

Toilets and showers also seemed better.

Yes , agree with this; some big improvements on across- site access but this still needs improvement for those on foot and sterling effort on toilets and showers. But exhibitor access and registration area was a shambles and needs more / wider hard standing. Also the perimeter track which was a life saver in often slippery conditions was crumbling by the hour after a week of heavy traffic. There will be little left of it unless repaired. But overall a great show and credit where credit is due.

Great to see so many improvements across the site – well done to the organising team. The access track around the site, loo`s, showers, restaurants etc made such a difference to the day-day life at the event. Even the Marshalls seemed to have taken more `happy` pills than normal and, their stirling efforts to assist folks enter and leave the site were much appreciated.

No-one can prevent foul weather however….the on-going deterioration of the entrances to almost all of the `fields` made access by 2-wheel drive all but impossible. Those that did make it through were having to speed in order just to keep moving – a dangerous gamble given the close proximity of so many pedestrians. From a Health and Safety perspective (and I do this for a living), may I suggest that some investment in additional temporary surfacing might be in order before anything unfortunate occurs.

A very enjoyable week however – well done and thank-you to all the show team.

See you next year.

Edited by Steve 82

I am sure there is a very valid reason why there was a single track into and out of the entire site, but I struggle to think what it was. Also, funnelling all inbound traffic through the carpark at the entrance seemed odd. Made the Marshalls job 10x harder.