RB44, rolling road brake test

Cornishbloke

Hi

I put the RB44 in for its VOSA test and for the brake test the examiner used a Tapley meter as the vehicle is permanent 4 wheel drive. It failed on non brake issues, but by the time I obtained the parts and had them fitted it needed a new test. I was not present at the second test by a different examiner who claims to have been able to test the vehicle on the rolling road by putting it into two wheel drive and neutral. I spoke to the test centre who said that he jacked one wheel off the ground and was able to turn it, showing that the front wheels were not connected and that it was in two wheel drive.

I am worried that he may have damaged the transfer box by doing this. My understanding is that the gearbox drives the input shaft which is linked by two drive belts to the output shaft which in turn drives the front and rear propshafts. It should not be possible to rotate the front wheels whilst the rear are stationary and vice versa.

Have I got this right, and what tests can I perform to make sure that the drive train is as it should be and there is no damage?

Cheers

Richard

Richard

MoT testers certainly used a rolling road for my first SUMB which was registered so as to require a class VII M0T but that had a selectable 2/4 wheel drive system and was always in 2WD for the test. I can't see how a constant 4x4 vehicle can be tested that way and any independent movement of front and back wheels must be due to slack in the drive train or the action of a differential ? I think the question I would ask is how far he was able to turn the jacked up wheel.

I'm not an expert on RB44 but reading your account I share your concern !

Regards & good luck

Iain