National Fire Service Research

Hello Jules

The answer is probably no. Few fire service records exist from this time and even if they did they would probably be covered by the Data Protection Act. Names did appear in newspapers and if the person went on to gain promotion in a post-war brigade then it may be possible to find out a bit more information about them.

Do you have a name and the rough area where they were stationed? If so I might be able to find something out about them but don't hold your breath.

A list of NFS Area numbers are attached.

Dusty

Fire Force Areas.doc

Hi Dusty

Your a Star, that list is just what i was after.

as regards the research, about 8 years ago i was able to 'retreive' an Anderson Shelter from the garden of a house in Walthamstow, 43 Pearl Road. ( it had been 'raised' after the war) burried deep amoungst years rubbish at the back, were two WW2 Helmets, one having the remains of the NFS transfer but sadly not enough of the area code to read. however inside the linning was the name T. W. Hornnet and a service number.........................

I just wondered if he served in that area during WW2 ?

assetCARNX8I0.jpg

Hello Jules

The service number relates to a wholetime man in Fire Force 36 which had its headquarters in Ilford. As Walthamstow was in Fire Force 36 then almost certainly your man Mr. Hornett lived in Pearl Road during the War.

As Walthamstow had its own fire brigade before the War it is possible Mr. Hornett may have been a fireman for some time and a look through the Walthamstow Council records might prove fruitful if you can access them.

I'll keep looking for any other information but I don't hold out much hope.

Dusty

• 5 years later...

Hi there Dusty.

My name is Russell James, My Father is Robert James, Son of Edward James (Ted). For my Dad  i am trying to locate any information regarding his Father as he served 1stly in the AFS and once WW2 was underway, he served in the NFS. As far as I know he was the Cardiff station chief during WW2 (exact dates unknown to me), as his service helmet bore two white stripes, I also gather that his was a senior role as we have photos of him driving Winston Churchill around Cardiff upon his second visit after the Cardiff blitzes. I am in New Zealand and am stuck on where to start looking. My Dad was born in May 1945 and his Father passed away in Perth, Western Australia about 25 years ago aged 76 (I think) Ted was married to Elsie may, I do not have her maiden name in front of me so my apologies.  They lived in Pontypridd before moving to Cardiff Central and Ted was known as "James the fire" My Father recalls his Father (Ted) having 3 Fire Service cards in his wallet possibly for civil defense of maybe for evacuation purposes enabling him to close buildings and restrict access. I have no further information regarding this. My Father also recalls that as a boy their house was the only one in the village to have a telephone and were also privileged with the use of the station vehicle.

If you are able to be of any assistance it would be greatly appreciated as I have often seen My Father (Rob James) searching online for any information but he has come to a few dead ends and lacks hope. closing to Christmas I would love to be able to provide any further insight into his Fathers life and if possible service history? Anything would be of help, thank you for your    time.

Regards,

Russell James.

Russell.james.chef@gmail.com

• 6 months later...