87 ET 77 Militant

Hello Robin,

I've now got both sets of the pressed metal plates ready & waiting at home :-), I'm not aiming at a perfect authentic nut & bolt resto just an overall roughly-correct depiction of an in service vehicle. Like you say, there will always be variations on that so I think I'm almost there with the project as a whole. Thanks for your input; comments, observations & constructive criticism always welcome 👍

Best Regards,

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, good shout - plenty of useful stuff on there .

I keep reffering ring back to this image from miliblog.co.uk, did many trucks have a shipping stencil on the driver's door? As I can see no reference to mine having left the UK, it may not be applicable to mine?

The chalk number stencil was- IIRC - up to the individual unit. Problem with them was as standard they were for two axle vehicles (Landrovers, Bedford etc.). If you want to apply it nothing is stopping you. Again from memory the lines run:

Chalk Number

Front Axle Weight

Rear Axle Weight

All up Weight

Back in the day I recall seeing them applied on the first two lines the then stencil was dropped after the paint dried to add a second Rear Axle Weight and then the All Up Weight to cover tri-axle vehicles. Bit pointless really as the only times I ever saw anyone chalk any data on they just took the vehicle weight and divided it by the number of axles..... :-) Which was even more crazy when you think the idea originally was for air transport so the load masters could position the vehicles safely.

Wasn't the norm to apply them to doors either. They tended to get the squares, circles, triangles etc. Chalk number was usually just behind the front doors.

The chalk number stencil was- IIRC - up to the individual unit. Problem with them was as standard they were for two axle vehicles (Landrovers, Bedford etc.). If you want to apply it nothing is stopping you. Again from memory the lines run:

Chalk Number

Front Axle Weight

Rear Axle Weight

All up Weight

Back in the day I recall seeing them applied on the first two lines the then stencil was dropped after the paint dried to add a second Rear Axle Weight and then the All Up Weight to cover tri-axle vehicles. Bit pointless really as the only times I ever saw anyone chalk any data on they just took the vehicle weight and divided it by the number of axles..... :-) Which was even more crazy when you think the idea originally was for air transport so the load masters could position the vehicles safely.

Wasn't the norm to apply them to doors either. They tended to get the squares, circles, triangles etc. Chalk number was usually just behind the front doors.

So that's what they were for, questioned it as I hadn't seen it before on a Mili, looked unusual. I may well have to purchase these after a gust of wind nearly pulled me out the cab whilst opening the door

image.jpg

Had an email back from Jim Clark ref the spare wheel cover & hip pad for cupola, apparently the chap who made yours has now retired Iain, may have to go local for these, I have an avenue to try.

Was Jim not interested in doing them himself?

The hip ring pads are to a standard pattern so should be easy enough to get made. The spare wheel cover needs tailoring so a local maker could be of benefit.

Good luck with it.

Iain

Was Jim not interested in doing them himself?

The hip ring pads are to a standard pattern so should be easy enough to get made. The spare wheel cover needs tailoring so a local maker could be of benefit.

Good luck with it.

Iain

"Sorry to say since he retired 4 years ago we have stopped doing British vehicle canvas work.

I now concentrate on US vehicle canvas work." :undecided:

Do other Militant owners out there follow these pressures from the Servicing Schedule? When I purchased the truck, the previous owner had them set to 100 psi, which I lowered to 60 psi all round. I know some people like to keep them slightly over inflated as the vehicles tend to stand for some time.

image.jpg

I agree with Iain on the pressures. 70psi looks and feels right. Your truck looks great! I keep hoping to have a quiet month and sort my cab roof and the relatively short but quite involved list of other jobs e.g.: n/s/f wheel bearing, swivel bearings, speedo cable, seat belts etc. I hope you have a great summer to show off your hard work!

Jules

I keep the pressures at around 70psi+ as I feel it drives better, it seems to wallow and bounce around at lower pressures.

Iain

Thanks for the reply Iain, just ordered the various oils OMD 80, OEP 220 & XG 279, a local factor matched the oil filters but I lost the piece of paper so will contact them on Monday.

Thanks for the reply Iain, just ordered the various oils OMD 80, OEP 220 & XG 279, a local factor matched the oil filters but I lost the piece of paper so will contact them on Monday.

The oil filters I use are Fleetguard LF 4003, fuel filters are Mann P917, I have not got around to the hyd filters but would like to find out?

Cheers

Iain

I agree with Iain on the pressures. 70psi looks and feels right. Your truck looks great! I keep hoping to have a quiet month and sort my cab roof and the relatively short but quite involved list of other jobs e.g.: n/s/f wheel bearing, swivel bearings, speedo cable, seat belts etc. I hope you have a great summer to show off your hard work!

Jules

thanks Jules, hoping for at least three shows before the seasons out. Any photos of yours? I remember seeing the advert for it a while back if I'm thinking of the correct one...

The oil filters I use are Fleetguard LF 4003, fuel filters are Mann P917, I have not got around to the hyd filters but would like to find out?

Cheers

Iain

Spot on, thanks Iain - I'll try to locate the hyd filters over the next few weeks & will post if I'm successful. Cheers

thanks Jules, hoping for at least three shows before the seasons out. Any photos of yours? I remember seeing the advert for it a while back if I'm thinking of the correct one...

Excellent, I hope the shows go well. It certainly should turn a few heads. I had mine a bit over 2 years, having bought just west of Hexham. Epic journey to Hastings in a day. There's a few pictures in an album on my profile.

Jules

Excellent, I hope the shows go well. It certainly should turn a few heads. I had mine a bit over 2 years, having bought just west of Hexham. Epic journey to Hastings in a day. There's a few pictures in an album on my profile.

Jules

Thanks for the pointer - I didn't know you could host albums on your profile - you have a smart truck too, nice dog as well. Those Aden photos are interesting, hadn't seen the flotation/sand tyres on the Martian before.

Sunny weather & time for a trip out, did 50 mile round trip from Ashbourne. Had to repair the o/s/f round indicator as it had come lose, also momentarily lost power to the dash fuel gauge but seems ok since. Few areas to tidy up & paint, hopefully tomorrow. Added the 'keep hold of door in high wind' stickers to the door cards, will do the TP stencils tomorrow.

Here is the Mili at the halfway stop in my parents street.

image.jpg

There's a few pictures in an album on my profile.

Jules

What a fascinating collection in your Aden album. I didn't know the British Army used the Berliet TBU15, but that appears to be what 43ER39 is - though with an Alvis engine perhaps, looking at the badge on the grille? I wonder whether it was a trials vehicle.

10 68

The army did trial the Berliet TBU as a replacement for the Explorer in 1964-65

Two were acquired for trials and there was to be a collaborative agreement with Alvis regarding Berliet building the Stalwart and the British having the Berliet

The agreement came to nothing. I suspect the picture was taken in BAOR

The army did trial the Berliet TBU as a replacement for the Explorer in 1964-65

Two were acquired for trials and there was to be a collaborative agreement with Alvis regarding Berliet building the Stalwart and the British having the Berliet

The agreement came to nothing. I suspect the picture was taken in BAOR

How interesting, I didn't know that. But the photos weren't taken in BAOR - I would imagine that the caption is correct and they were taken in Aden. Perhaps one went to Germany and the other to MELF for hot weather trials and the photos suggest that Aden had a good selection of other recovery vehicles against which the Berliet might be assessed

10 68

Flying visit today to re do the TP letters & numbers using white primer spray paint instead of the brushed on White hammerite I'd used before. I also found some water proofing spray I'd forgotten I had so gave the canvas cupola cover a good coating. I've also fitted the first pressed metal number plate, will do the rest next week along with some minor painting. Also noticed the n/s chassis rail behind the n/s/m wheel stamped 'G K N S WALES'

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

As some of you may have seen the truck is having 4th & 5th gear issues; more info here

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?54902-Lost-4th-amp-5th-gears&p=475519#post475519

I'll update the repair progress on this thread as where I now park the vehicle, there is a HGV garage & the owner started his days on AEC gearboxes. Hope to have more info next week.

Regards,

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Progress on investigating the loss of 4th & 5th gears. Box is now out as you will see, selector forks & assembly seem in good shape so far. Workshop think it's to do with the splines on the main shaft. The transmission jack is the lowest it will go in the pit but not low enough to get the box out from underneath, thoughts are to lift the front end of the truck up & slide it out so it can be palletised ready for investigation & repair.

Clutch will be checked & probably replaced. 17.5 hours labour thus far.

A big thanks to Iain Crosbie & co for the support.

If anyone knows of a trusted gearbox repairer please let me know?

Update to follow.

Nick

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg