Changes at W&P for 2014..

stevel98

Has a spectator bank been built yet?

Rex Cadman hinted to me last year that this was on the cards for 2014. At Beltring, we would spend a lot of time on the bank watching the displays (close to the catering and beer too!), but last year it was impossible to relax and get a good view as well.

Really missed the The Hop Farms panoramic viewing facility last year..

• 1 month later...
theres a open day on 10 may have a nose if u can get there just seen your location! sure pepes will give feedback after open day

Well? So whats the latest? Did anyone go to the open day? What's new? Is there a spectator bank?

Cheers..

no there aint!

Think I'll give it a miss then.. :-(

No bank means no spectator view of the proceedings, which is why I've made a regular 1000 mile trip for the past 20 odd years. There is so much to see and do, but when taking the weight off and having a refreshment, I want to watch events, not sit on a patio chair staring at a catering van. Couldn't see a thing last year..

Because we couldn't watch the arena, we spent more time scoping your vehicles and talking to owners, which was nice, but the size of the place makes it really hard going and you need that break.

The size and angle of the bank and the soft grass at Beltring was totally the business for us spectators viewing the whole place. That has to be the most important facility!

What about the one way system road that closed when arena in use Neal?

Think it is still there mate - and still closed during arena operations. We were told, for planning the mock battles that the crowd line would be along the outer (stand side) edge of the track and to make the appropriate safety allowances.

The "village" looks like it will be moved back across to the corner where the armourers ISO containers were

just to let you know, the road now along the edge of the arena will be open excpet when battles are on and if we need to close it for safety reasons. In any case there should only be vehicles going to and from the Arean during the show if you read the exhibitors notes.

I will point that out, I know that it will be shorter tahn last yaera as far as ai Know.

Last year I was emailling Rex regarding the construction of a spectator bank like what there was at Beltring. He said that he recognised the importance of this and it was on the cards for 2014 and was in discussion with the local farmer/landowner type about building one.

So what happened?

that money got used on toilets ;)

but indeed, the artic trailer might be a more easy solution then a scaffold one, with a regular scaffold , lets say the Layer system you need a awful lot and it comes down to the number of people per m2 or just the weight of what can be placed per m2. i take it it needs to be accessible from the grand stand and a plan needs to be made to evacuate the allowed number of people.

then it needs to be certified for safe use and if mr Cadman makes a load of drinking helmets in Ral 6014 he can barrow my sign "helmets to be worn on scaffold" :cool2:

That's incredible.. If your standing like last year, only the front two rows can see anything, compare that with amount of spectators at Beltring all getting a superb view of the proceedings in comfort.

Yes, decent bogs are important, but the one thing that entertains the paying masses and makes them come back for more was the events field. Lose them for poor viewing reasons and your back to what W&P originally was, (..and no disrespect intended here, as if I lived down south I would be one too!), a boys club.

From the top of the Beltring hill, I had a grandstand view like no other event offered, of the field, vehicles coming and going, the 2nd Battle Group et al, and beyond. Comparing my photys from Beltring to last year you can see the differences easily.

but indeed, the artic trailer might be a more easy solution then a scaffold one, with a regular scaffold , lets say the Layer system you need a awful lot and it comes down to the number of people per m2 or just the weight of what can be placed per m2. i take it it needs to be accessible from the grand stand and a plan needs to be made to evacuate the allowed number of people.

then it needs to be certified for safe use and if mr Cadman makes a load of drinking helmets in Ral 6014 he can barrow my sign "helmets to be worn on scaffold" :cool2:

I think the only safe approach would be an earth bank - if clobbered by something large and green, it wont break so easily.

it will be so much better if it returned to the hop farm ,twenty odd quid for a day ticket and mops cant even see whats happening in the arena !!!!:cry:

I am sure the viewing of the arena issue will be fine-tuned. The 2013 show was obviously the first one at the new venue so there was always going to be downsides and issues to solve. I think it is fair to say that everyone expected some issues. I stay on-site all week and prefer it over the Hop Farm.

i support the earth bank idea, would Rex be allowed to do that? i believe they wanted to keep the track in a state that it could be revived to functional racecourse again.

We use buckets with lids as toilets, empty those at night at the ibc for chemical toilet waste.

it might be a idea for non wheelchair users too.

what wrecked me last year was the state of the field, starting and ending the day on morphine is not nice, i had a talk with Rex about that, same as wheelchair issues as getting stuck in soft soil.

As for the war and peace shows, i went to the uk for a summer event from 2001 on wards, 2006 and 2007 at the war and peace, it was just a great atmosphere 2008 at the land rover show i thought wish i was at betlring right now, there is something better to that show.

my wife had her honeymoon at that show early 2000's with her previous husband. now i live in the uk, married to her and enjoy showing off our vehicles, we are imps members (group of 5) and just enjoy the show what ever it throws at us.

What can we do to help Rex build the show to the next level?