Fiat 18bl at Stow Maries Aerodrome

john clayton

'Next I made a thick brass plate to cover everything and soft soldered and screwed it in place. I know it does not look original but I don't ever want to take this apart again.'

'Cut the oil groove with carbide burr in a Dremel. Question .Is to Dremel a verb? All my friends use it.'

Actually it does look like an original repair. One of our gearboxes has something very similar but not quite so neat!

Whatever you call it, the Dremel is a very useful tool for this kind of thing!

Keep up the good work. It is great to see how someone else does it and we are all looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Steve

The inside of the diff. The oil has dried out a bit.013 (3).jpg

This is the diff lock which is operated by a lever on the outboard end of the RH drive shaft where it is bolted to the chassis . The dog clutch is destoyed and the splined sliding section has been hammered into the hlf shaft to stop it moving.Proper engineering! I don't need the diff lock but i might have a go .019 (3).jpg

018 (2).jpg

044 (2).jpg

010 (4).jpg

011 (4).jpg

015 (4).jpg

An easy way to make a one-off internal spline is with CNC wire spare erosion. (clearly unless you have the machine that would be a bought-in job). If you supply a machined bore the wire-eroder can align to that and cut the grooves pretty quickly.

The bearing housings for the gear shafts are very loose. I had intended shimming them but the holes are oval by up to !.5 mm. For the input shaft I am going to try to make a bolt in fixture using my miller boring head and some plumber block bearings to bore out two or three of the seats but I can't get to the seat (140 dia) for the output shaft to the crown wheel driving pinion . This has the worst ovality .Is there such a thing as corrugated shim? I am sure that I have seen it on a tractor forum. Designed for such a problem and using lots of loctite? Or was I just imagining it? 012 (5).jpg

005 (7).jpg

010 (5).jpg

Is there such a thing as corrugated shim?

http://www.euro-bearings.com/tol1.htm

My dad has a horizontal boring machine, exactly the right machine for the job. The only problem is that it is in Yorkshire. (and generally buried under other stuff)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lorjlRbUi9B2VQy0Cd0KcNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I saw this on at traction engine site. They knew it was a Fiat as Fiat is cast into the rear spring shackles .Lots of interest in  it as  a trailer but I managed to convince them that I really needed it. The only other parts that I know of are in Australia or at the bottom of Lake Garda. See youtube.