Fiat 18bl at Stow Maries Aerodrome

john clayton

pattern making as well....although i think what Steve has acheaved in the Dennis thread was outstanding...

You are too kind. I am just a backyard bodger who manages to get the required result in the end. I am not brave enough to set up my own foundry. I shan't live long enough to do everything!

John. That is quite some trip. I am so pleased that you have got the right wheels. They will really make the job and are undoubtably a boost to morale as well. We are looking forward to seeing the finished job, whenever!

Did you get a picture of the four wheel drive tractor or can you remember what it was?

Cheers!

Steve

You are too kind. I am just a backyard bodger who manages to get the required result in the end. I am not brave enough to set up my own foundry. I shan't live long enough to do everything!

John. That is quite some trip. I am so pleased that you have got the right wheels. They will really make the job and are undoubtably a boost to morale as well. We are looking forward to seeing the finished job, whenever!

Did you get a picture of the four wheel drive tractor or can you remember what it was?

Cheers!

Steve

Hmm...

not an accurate description really Steve...

caus anybody who has acheaved what the team have done down there in Devon isn`t `bodgin`......theres thinking on your feet, machining work, fabrication, joinery, working with canvas etc....

its got the lot really....hasn`t it...

Glenn.

GLMelectrical.

What kind of problem: grip, tyres flexing under cornering, rapid wear,

The most problematical problem is the tyre debonding from the hoop. You then get a lot of heat and wear in the cavity formed, and the rubber slowly erodes out leaving quite a big void (something you can fit your hand into) which effectively becomes a big flat-spot when at the bottom.

We have also had some problems with self-amplifying flat-spots on the outside of the tyre too.

002.jpgThe 18bl wheels found in Italy. Now safely at home at Stow Maries, now to get the rubber off and then the bands.There are some broken studs for the bearing retainers.I don't like Easi Outs but I will try them first. The first thing I did when i got home was to make sure that the brake drums holes matched . Thank God they did.

001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need some advice as to what colour I should paint my Fiat. It will probably be marked up as a RFC vehicle. At the moment some of it is painted a sort of IRR bronze green matt. This does not look right and the matt is already looking scruffy. I need something that will last and can be kept clean. I like the colour of the Thornycroft restoration. What did you use. I need to apply the paint by roller and brush because the truck is kept in an aircraft hangar.

We are using Craftmaster Paint - colour-matched again for us by Craftmaster with the paint that we used on the Dennis and now named by them as "WW1 Khaki" in their records should you wish to go to them.

We use the satin finish - not too glossy for an army lorry. You could have it in "dull" should you be looking for a very matt finish.

Tony

The original match for this paint came from us. When we restored the 1916 Thornycroft J type mobile anti aircraft gun for the IWM ( now on show at Duxford ) in 1987 we found various amounts of original paint under brackets , fittings etc. This was match by ICI at the time and we have retained this ever since. It has always been supplied to us in gloss and we have added matting agent, usually about 5 parts gloss 3 parts matting agent to give the desired finish. Our latest job finished in this is the 'B' type bus for London Transport museum. The Thornycroft at Duxford has stood the test of time for over 25 years now. The matting agent destroys the varnish in the gloss so beware do not make the finish too matt or it will not have any durability or weather protection. The paint is now supplied to us by Breakwells Paints ,Walsall.

Richard Peskett.

The original match for this paint came from us. When we restored the 1916 Thornycroft J type mobile anti aircraft gun for the IWM ( now on show at Duxford ) in 1987 we found various amounts of original paint under brackets , fittings etc. This was match by ICI at the time and we have retained this ever since. It has always been supplied to us in gloss and we have added matting agent, usually about 5 parts gloss 3 parts matting agent to give the desired finish. Our latest job finished in this is the 'B' type bus for London Transport museum. The Thornycroft at Duxford has stood the test of time for over 25 years now. The matting agent destroys the varnish in the gloss so beware do not make the finish too matt or it will not have any durability or weather protection. The paint is now supplied to us by Breakwells Paints ,Walsall.

Richard Peskett.

Richard first advised us about this colour and very kindly gave us the reference number of the then manufacturer and supplier of the paint when we completed the military Autocar some years ago - it had a reference number but not a name. When the paint arrived, we noticed that it had been given a name - "Richard Peskett Brown" - we thought an honour - rather like having a new variety of Rose named after you at the Chelsea Flower Show!

For the next restoration we completed (the FWD), we found that the original supplier had gone out of business and we went to another reputable company who colour-matched it beautifully from a sample of the paint used on the Autocar.

When the Dennis came along, that second Supplier had also ceased trading - so it was then colour matched by another company - again very cleverly. We went back to the same company for the Thornycroft paint - the original match which they completed was no longer available - so it has been matched yet again with the Dennis paint - and that was when its further new name was applied by them - "WW1 Khaki".

The original colour has been maintained very well.

You seem to have a bad effect on paint companies ! Can I suggest that you paint some 3" squares of something that could be posted easily, with WW1 Khaki so that there is a record of this colour despite the trail of closed paint companies. Presumably it could be described by the RAL system as I think that that describes the colour itself rather than just being a code for existing colours but I could be corrected on that.

David

You seem to have a bad effect on paint companies ! Can I suggest that you paint some 3" squares of something that could be posted easily, with WW1 Khaki so that there is a record of this colour despite the trail of closed paint companies. Presumably it could be described by the RAL system as I think that that describes the colour itself rather than just being a code for existing colours but I could be corrected on that.

David

Interestingly, we have already mailed samples of the paint applied to pieces of 16 gauge steel - probably 3" square as you have just mentioned - one to a UK Restorer and the other to the USA to an enthusiast there!

I was wondering whether it is possible to match the aforesaid colour to a Pantone colour code? My understanding is that these codes can be used by the paint industry (and printing industry alike). Perhaps there is a Pantone number which exactly matches Richard Peskett Brown and can be interpreted by paint manufacturers far and wide.

• 1 month later...

Not entirely on-topic but I took my 1921 Ner-a-Car to Stowe-Maries on Sunday so that a photographer friend had some backgrounds to use.

(It was also good to see the progress with the FIAT, which actually looks less complete than last time, because more parts are off being fettled).

Anyway, here are the pics. You can tell that he mainly does weddings :-)

http://www.beautifullytold.com/ner-a-car/

• 2 weeks later...
One thing that I have noticed about the FIAT is that everything is a step above Dennis for quality and complexity.

And this thing I have been pointed at looks like another step again.

Not military, but what a monster:

http://jalopnik.com/watch-a-28-5l-fiat-start-for-the-first-time-in-a-centur-1665309191

It is a shame that Fiat persisted with chain drive on the 18bl. It is causing my biggest headache. The wheels are off to Cornwall for tyres .Jobel Engineering reckon that their glue will hold the polyurethane tyres in place without a side rail . It will make the moulding and finishing simpler as well. The bands with the dovetailed and grooved surface are staying on the wheels

• 1 month later...

At last I have some time to catch up with whats happening with the Fiat

First . Headlamps bought in Boulogne . thanks to the person that pointed these out on Le bon coin. Stuff seams to be a bit cheaper in france. When I went over in November their recession see002 (6).jpgmed to be really biting or is the Pas De Calaise always that dreary in winter?.

Does anyone have any lamp brackets to suit. The hole spacing is 101/2 "

001 (6).jpg

004 (6).jpg

Next.

I spent 35 hours grinding ,chiseling and even burning the old tyres from the wheels. Now the wheels are in C011 (3).jpgornwall having new poly tyres moulded on. About a thousand for two singles and two doubles . I can't afford real rubber but have been assured that these will work fine.

I machined out the middle of the oil pump and a new centre is being made.002 (5).jpg

Rear brake shoes fabricated and lined .I made new brake cams and followers.012 (3).jpg

Diff dismantled. Horrible!! Planetry gears have large eroded/ corroded pits. Will tig them with som S321 rod and refinish them by hand. Just had call from Boss in kitchen . Fish Pie is ready .Smell good. Back later.022.jpg

Crack and bulge in side of the gear case. Probably caused by changing into reverse whil'st still going forward.The reverse gear shaft is not aligned with the input shaft. I ground the crack out and then bolted a thick steel plate over the bulge . Lots of heat then tightened the bolts . Worked a treat. Silver soldered crack as too contaminated for tig braze.and gas braze would anneal the whole casting too much.. Re-aligned the reverse shaft mount with a big G clamp. Next I made a thick brass plate to cover everything and soft soldered and screwed it in place. I know it does not look original but I don't ever want to take this apart again004 (7).jpg

Made new reverse gear shaft fro EN8 as old one was bent Cut the oil groove with carbide burr in a Dremel. Question .Is to Dremel a verb?018.jpg All my friends use it.

026.jpg

024 (3).jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

031 (2).jpg