WD McLaren traction engine

Great War truck

I understand that an ex WD McLaren traction engine is to be returned to a war time paint scheme and will run on this years London to Brighton. Possibly this one:

http://www.steamscenes.org.uk/engines/mclaren/road-locomotive/1652/60/

I understand they are looking for a howitzer to tow behind it. Anybody got any suggestions?

Coincidentally, our good friend Andy has just finished his 1/4 full size model of one:

Mac_LHS_zps9487db5e.jpg

Mac_RHS_zps65f88b52.jpg

Mac_isometric_zpse27e9705.jpg

Mac_motion_zpsd555971a.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

Hi all, I understand from an article in 'Old Glory' Magazine (Issue 284) that the McLaren engine that is to be returning to a WD paint scheme is No. 1332 "Gigantic", mechanically almost identical to "Boadicea", which is currently undergoing a re-build which is scheduled to be completed in time for the Brighton Run.

DSC_9550.jpg

Edited by S.S.F.

Hi all, I understand from an article in 'Old Glory' Magazine (Issue 284) that the McLaren engine that is to be returning to a WD paint scheme is No. 1332 "Gigantic", mechanically almost identical to "Boadicea", which is currently undergoing a re-build which is scheduled to be completed in time for the Brighton Run.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87645[/ATTACH]

We have been debating this here in Devon. There is some thought that "Gigantic" and "Boadicea" are one and the same Engine - different names used depending on what "clothes" it is wearing. So are there two Engines - or is it one Engine in two different liveries with different names?

Tony

We have been debating this here in Devon. There is some thought that "Gigantic" and "Boadicea" are one and the same Engine - different names used depending on what "clothes" it is wearing. So are there two Engines - or is it one Engine in two different liveries with different names?

Tony

Hi Tony, you have a right to be confused, I'll attempt to explain the situation clearly to everyone!

McLaren No. 1652 was built in 1919 and is currently owned by Les Searle of Horsham, West Sussex. Most people will recognize the engine by its preservation name "Boadicea" and in the configuration shown below:

20130519155300-DSC_4900.jpg

During its working life, No. 1652 "Boadicea" was owned by a showman who converted the engine to showman's specification ad re-named the engine "Gigantic", however these fittings were only carried for a year or so as the engine was found to be too heavy for use on fairgrounds.

In 2013, the current owner, Les Searle, decided to temporarily recreate the long lost showman's fittings for a bit of fun and fitted them to the engine, also re-instating its showman's name "Gigantic". And so in late 2013 the very same engine as pictured above looked like this:

Searle Boxing Day Run 2013 212.jpg

Les has now removed these fittings and so currently the engine is back to normal, once again being named "Boadicea" and looking like the first image.

Now then, there is a separate engine, No. 1332 of 1912 which rather confusingly is also called "Gigantic". To make matters worse, this engine is exactly the same design as No. 1652 "Boadicea". "Gigantic" is pictured below:

DSC_9550.jpg

This engine is owned by Neil Gough, also of West Sussex, who is currently re-building the engine and it is this engine that is being re-built into WD specification and is planned to attend the Brighton Run, not "Boadicea".

Hope this helps!

Edited by S.S.F.
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great idea and would love to see that steam past. Do they take the same route as the car one? if so they go very near my house in Streatham, in fact a few years back got rerouted past m house due to an accident. Spent a few hours with cups of tea watching the cars go past

Gigantic used to reside in Cambridgeshire and was well known on the circuit around there

At Weeting rally in around 85/86 the owner was challenged to a tug of war by the Army with a Chieftain tank

The outcome was that the front of the traction engine reared up (the the tank crew wanted to win and had it in gear!!) and the front axle dropped out and ended up under the belly tanks

Cue much arm waving and yellow coats

I seem to think that Steve Neville had just had a go with the Burrell road loco Duke of Kent and won!

I have some video somewhere.................must dig it out!!

Hi Tony, you have a right to be confused, I'll attempt to explain the situation clearly to everyone!

McLaren No. 1652 was built in 1919 and is currently owned by Les Searle of Horsham, West Sussex. Most people will recognize the engine by its preservation name "Boadicea" and in the configuration shown below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87665[/ATTACH]

During its working life, No. 1652 "Boadicea" was owned by a showman who converted the engine to showman's specification ad re-named the engine "Gigantic", however these fittings were only carried for a year or so as the engine was found to be too heavy for use on fairgrounds.

In 2013, the current owner, Les Searle, decided to temporarily recreate the long lost showman's fittings for a bit of fun and fitted them to the engine, also re-instating its showman's name "Gigantic". And so in late 2013 the very same engine as pictured above looked like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87667[/ATTACH]

Les has now removed these fittings and so currently the engine is back to normal, once again being named "Boadicea" and looking like the first image.

Now then, there is a separate engine, No. 1332 of 1912 which rather confusingly is also called "Gigantic". To make matters worse, this engine is exactly the same design as No. 1652 "Boadicea". "Gigantic" is pictured below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87668[/ATTACH]

This engine is owned by Neil Gough, also of West Sussex, who is currently re-building the engine and it is this engine that is being re-built into WD specification and is planned to attend the Brighton Run, not "Boadicea".

The two engines were both believed to have been ordered originally by the War Dept. to exactly the same designs, however both orders were cancelled and the engines went on to lead two very different lives, No. 1332 eventually ending up in Tasmania! Currently, the two mechanically identical engines have both ended up in West Sussex, in fact their owners yards are only 10 miles apart and while No. 1332 has been re-built, its "Gigantic" nameplate has been borrowed by No. 1652 "Boadicea" while it has been posing in its showman's carnation as "Gigantic" to save Les Searle from having to cast his own plate.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for your explanation, i am sure i and others look forward to seeing "Gigantic" in WD cloathes.:thanx:

That will certainly be a sight. Some time ago (about 30 odd years oooer!:undecided:) Boadicea was owned by a gentleman near us and a good friend of my Dad drove it for him. My brother and I spent many happy miles in the coal boxes having rides! Thanks for bringing back a happy memory!

Gigantic used to reside in Cambridgeshire and was well known on the circuit around there

At Weeting rally in around 85/86 the owner was challenged to a tug of war by the Army with a Chieftain tank

The outcome was that the front of the traction engine reared up (the the tank crew wanted to win and had it in gear!!) and the front axle dropped out and ended up under the belly tanks

Cue much arm waving and yellow coats

I seem to think that Steve Neville had just had a go with the Burrell road loco Duke of Kent and won!

I have some video somewhere.................must dig it out!!

It also buggered the transmission in the tank.

I understand the squaddies in the tank took a bit of a reaming over it.

It also buggered the transmission in the tank.

I understand the squaddies in the tank took a bit of a reaming over it.

Certainly did!!!

I believe it was something to do with the "quills" in the final drive

Still looking for video!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi, l have just joined the forum l built and own the half size model of Mc Laren Boadicea. l wondered what rallies Andy with the 3" WD would be going to - it would be nice to met another fellow Mc Laren builder.

Cheers Bill Kiddell (mclaren6)

2 boadiceas.jpg

Certainly did!!!

I believe it was something to do with the "quills" in the final drive

Still looking for video!!!

Found the video!!!!!!

Now just need to work out how to get analogue video into digital and I will post the clip

Hi, l have just joined the forum l built and own the half size model of Mc Laren Boadicea. l wondered what rallies Andy with the 3" WD would be going to - it would be nice to met another fellow Mc Laren builder.

I think that you know Andy C already - I understand that you transported his castings to him some time ago when he was building it! He is not a member of this forum but he will be at The Abbey Hill Rally coming up! If you want to contact him, then send me a PM and I will give you his Email address!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Why was the front axle able to drop out? Was there a fault or is there nothing to locate the axle on the McLaren bar the weight of the engine?

Why was the front axle able to drop out? Was there a fault or is there nothing to locate the axle on the McLaren bar the weight of the engine?

The video was taken in 1990

The engine had just been restored (for the first time after coming back from the Southern hemisphere) The owner at the the time couldnt remove the front axle even after removing the pin that held it in place so didnt bother..................until he tried to tow a Chieftain!! I havent uploaded the initial attempts when the engine kept rearing up