43rd Recce monument

The monument was placed after 3 veterans (2 were survivors of the patrol) and a local teacher invold Prince bernhard of the Netherlands.

Its to commemorate a ambushed patrol in which 4 soldiers died in Oct. 1944.

Of those 2 of them are still missing, possibly inside the Fort's grounds.....

I more or less adopted the monument since I am in contact with 1 of the survivors over the internet.

A few years back I had the honor to put a wreath at the monument in name of and sent by the 2 survivors.

I had permission to attend in uniform and to bring the salute.

My brother and his kids also attend the annual ceremony if possible.

The monument is about 5 miles from home.

We will remember.

FortStAndries26-10-2006002Medium.jpg

FortStAndries26-10-2006003Medium.jpg

Edited by Enigma

• 1 year later...

If you remember Snapper, we did discuss an HMVf guide to military sites. How about restoring the idea? Norway has a tremondous history, Holland belgium, germany, I never realised half the stuff existed till the Channel 5 proggramme on berlin bunkers. England also has its own sites. The places of the tourist tracks.

If anyone is interested I attach below the link to the 43rd Recce Living History Group.

http://www.43rdrecce.co.uk/index.html

We maintain very close links with the Divisional and Regimental associations and due to the advancing age of the surviving veterans we now publish the Newsletter and run the annual reunions in Bristol.

We are always looking for new members who are interested in depicting a WW2 Reconnaisance Regiment in an accurate and respectful way. The ethos of the group is historical research, support to the surviving veterans, and educationing new generations in the life of the WW2 soldier.

• 3 years later...

With regret I have to inform you that the monument is stolen.

The bronze head was sawn off. Got the news this morning.

With a heavy hart I informed Mr Surrey who's colleagues are commemorated on the plaque. He was in the patrol and managed to escape.

He is "devastated" by the news.

Thanks all!

I'll get back to you when I know more about the theft and possible making of something new.

Tony is right!

If you could Olaf - I will work it on Face Book and Pathfinder Online - suggest all Face Book users to do the same thing.

Hi Enigma,

thank you for flagging this up. As you are probably aware this desecration of war memorials is a huge problem in the UK too.

Just picked up this thread. We have passed this sad news on to the 43rd Recce veterans. Sadly some of those intimately involved in the erection of the memorial are no longer with us, Frank Thompson (part of the original patrol) Fred Sylvester an A Squadron man and researcher of this tragic patrol and its story.

We will be in touch.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Enigma,

thank you for flagging this up. As you are probably aware this desecration of war memorials is a huge problem in the UK too.

Just picked up this thread. We have passed this sad news on to the 43rd Recce veterans. Sadly some of those intimately involved in the erection of the memorial are no longer with us, Frank Thompson (part of the original patrol) Fred Sylvester an A Squadron man and researcher of this tragic patrol and its story.

We will be in touch.

Kind regards

Paul

Are you Paul G*** by any chance?

I recently sent a article for the spearhead about a Ww2 expo in Heerrewaarden.

Through email I knew Fred Sylvester.

I contacted Ray Surrey to let him know about the theft. He was chocked to hear monuments are being stolen in the Netherlands also.

I'll contact Jos van K. who was involved in the efforts to get the monument on that spot.

Hi Enigma,

No I'm not Paul G who is our chairman. I spoke to Paul last evening and he is contacting various people today. I will put him in contact with those helping. If you PM your email address I will put you all in direct contact.

Regards

Paul

I contacted the man who helped getting the monument erected in 1999.

He's pleased to hear the positive comments and offers on here.

He'll contact the relevant person in townhall, also info will be sought if there is insurance.

Later a plan will be made on what to do.

I'll update when I get news.

• 2 weeks later...

I always check any 50p given to me for fares for them. and collect them.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]2006: 150th anniversary of the Victoria Cross. Obverse: Rank-Broadley head, inscription ELIZABETH II D G REG F D 2006, starting to the bottom left of the head, IRB under the bust.Reverse: Pictures of both sides of the Victoria Cross, inscribed 29 JAN 1856 with VC FIFTY PENCE below. Designed by Claire Aldridge.12.1 million coins in circulation.[6][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]2006: 150th anniversary of the Victoria Cross. Obverse: Rank-Broadley head, inscription ELIZABETH II D G REG F D 2006, starting to the bottom left of the head, IRB under the bust.Reverse: Soldier carrying wounded comrade, FIFTY PENCE below. Designed by Clive Duncan.10 million coins in circulation.[6][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I got a journalist in contact with 1 of the survivors of the patrol, of which 4 members are commemorated at the monument.

He wants to do a article.

No word from the persons involved in putting up the monument.

Whatever the case, on May 4t we have our remembrance day so it has to be resolved by then.

Thanks for everyones offers and interest.

Very heartwarming.