Bomber Command centre to be built in Lincolnshire

It saddens me how few bomber air and ground crew will survive to see it, my father in law was a Lancaster tail gunner, he died 30 years ago he would never talk about what happened.

I agree, far too long coming but at last they have recognition and we should never forget what they did. Hopefully this will ensure this never happens. :-)

It doesn't seem to say where it's going to be, but using a bit of detective work on the plan that's on the website (mentioning some place names) it looks like it here -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=canwick+hill+near+Lincolnshire&hl=en&ll=53.213974,-0.527413&spn=0.001821,0.005284&sll=53.177355,-0.626536&sspn=0.115846,0.338173&t=h&hnear=Canwick+Hill,+Lincoln,+United+Kingdom&z=18

Website is here - http://www.lincsbombercommandmemorial.com/our-memorial.html

It saddens me how few bomber air and ground crew will survive to see it, my father in law was a Lancaster tail gunner, he died 30 years ago he would never talk about what happened.

So was my Dads brother (my uncle) - all we know is he completed his operational tour......

Exact opposite of Dad who was tall and thin - uncle was very short and stocky.

I agree, far too long coming but at last they have recognition and we should never forget what they did. Hopefully this will ensure this never happens. :-)

Along with the Bomber Command memorial in London, there is now the Bomber Command tribute at Beachy Head.

We were able to get this put in place after much work and effort by Joe Williams, a former 625 sqn gunner, supported by myself and several others.

It's great to have a memorial in London but as Joe and many more Bomber Command veterans pointed out, Beachy Head seemed more fitting because it was often the last point of England that many bomber crews ever saw.

Not all bomber raids took off from Lincolnshire then headed over the North Sea to the target. Many more actually headed down from Lincolnshire towards Reading where they gathered, then headed out over Beachy Head to targets deep into France and southern Germany. This also helped to avoid returning USAAF aircraft who were heading back over the North Sea towards East Anglia.

The Lincolnshire memorial and centre will be a very fitting, if overdue, tribute.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10387319.Bomber_Command_tribute_is_unveiled_at_Beachy_Head/

Edited by Desert Rat