Great Dorset Steam Fair

Roy Larkin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is another clip. I see what you mean Heff. The front wheels of the McLaren are jumping off the ground

If we can keep this up we can probably get the whole journey recorded.

What's the purpose of the rope visible in this clip running from a long (piling) shackle on the side of the McLaren's smokebox up to the canopy? Anyone know?

I have an idea but it may be daft!

It appears to be a tow rope, permanently fastened at this point on the smokebox and stowed when not in use by hooking to the canopy. Doesn't appear to be on eon the other side.

The only reason a rope would be attached at this point would be either to pull the engine sideways on a regular basis, or for the engine to pull something - a trailer drawbar maybe to turn the front bogie? Or was this a gun tractor and the rope used to manoeuvre something as part of the regular gun set-up procedure?

Given the lack of weight on front axle when pulling hard, I wonder if it was prone to pulling to the right, and needed a corrective 'tug'? :-D

I'm gald I wasn't the only one puzzled by it!

The canopy end must be for stowage only since the canopy is not strong enough to pull anything from. The smokebox end is odd, since the attachment bracket doesn't look particularly strong, and the shackle has no movement in the vertical plane (it can swivel hoizontally but vertically). It wouldn't be suitable for pulling unless the rope ran out level from the shackle, especially with such a long shackle, and this seems an unlikely scenario. I suppose that both ends may be stowage points and the rope comes off for use, but if so it is an odd place to keep the rope.

The contemporary photo is fascinating, since I initially assumed that the rope was there for the Bovvy run and was a modern thing, but clearly someone has done some very careful homework. This needs more research!

Could it be something as simply as a handhold for climbing up to the tank-top toolbox?

Edited by utt61

Some great photos of the day on Facebook. Interesting to see that one person was very unhappy about the inaccuracy of the uniforms. Probably does not realise that those on the steamers will have totally ruined their uniforms by the end of the day. To copy a well known put down "well, what do you wear when you are driving your traction engine then"?

Some great photos of the day on Facebook. Interesting to see that one person was very unhappy about the inaccuracy of the uniforms. Probably does not realise that those on the steamers will have totally ruined their uniforms by the end of the day. To copy a well known put down "well, what do you wear when you are driving your traction engine then"?

I can vouch that driving a steamer ruins clothes. The total loss lubrication sees to that!. I have a number of trousers/shirts so ruined for reuse time and time again.

I think the uniforms were the least of the problems!.

The front steamer was in Australia during the war, but is of the correct 'type', and the owner has spent a lot of time to get it to look 'right'. The engine on the back is the 'real deal', new to the WD as gun tractor.

The trailer is post 2nd world war Crane trailer built for Pickfords (i.e used behind Diamond T's etc), but to look at its fairly typical of a '20s haulage trailer if a little complicated in detail due to its age. As a great war era trailer - nothing like one.

The WD certainly wouldn't be messing by towing the Holt gun tractor about on a trailer with two steamers during the war, they'd have put it on a train!.

As I said before, the haulage is certainly a 'good show', the enginemen involved being some of the best in the country, and I dont doubt that a lot of planning has gone into the scene. However historically the specticle is it almost totally inaccurate.

I have no doubt however that it has done the trick for the GDSF, lots of good publicity!.

The Burrell towing two traction wagons is very accurate, both of general haulage in at the time, and thus likely wartime. Steamers comandeered for the war effort that did not get used in France usually did not get repainted, they were simply used as they were, perhaps with some WD numbering signwritten on and the previous owners name removed.

The Foden, AKA 'The dump truck' is also the real deal, WW1 era WD tipper. It stayed in France after the war and was used either for carrying potatoes or coal (I cant for the life of me remember). It came back to the UK in the 1970's pretty much unmolested from its wartime condition.

Please dont take this as criticism, its just personally I would have liked to see a historically accurate re-enactment, rather than something dreampt up as a 'good show'

I'm told the WD learnt early on that steamers anywhere near the front line were simply target practice for the German artillery due to the smoke. The use by the WD of petrol lorries in quantity is what killed steamers for that purpose after the war. There were so many petrol lorries availible after the war.

The rapid degrading of uniforms due to oil splashes brings up a point. Did the Army in WW1 supply some other clothing to be worn by traction engine and roller crews? Many of the crews enlisted with the engines so may have brought additional jackets for use. What was the the offical viewpoint of such extra clothing?

Would this have been any different to men working in the workshops, repairing items covered with grease and oil.

I have a number of items of clothing accumulated for recreating period events when out on a traction engine or roller. Black spots of oil abound! Looking over photos of steam traction engines in working operation, the mens clothing is consistant of white shirts, waist coat and jackets. Always amazes me as to the use of the white shirts. A full week of operating must have produced totally black sleeves and collars not covered by the waist coat. What was used to clean them?

Doug

Not just steamers.

Going off-topic a bit, there was an old boy near me who drove an early Standard Fordson tractor. He wore an old Great War trench coat to keep the winter cold out when ploughing. To help keep warm he had a length of rubber hose running from the horizontal exhaust and stuffed up the back of his coat.

Apparently he always went home with a very black neck. :wow:

Not just steamers.

Going off-topic a bit, there was an old boy near me who drove an early Standard Fordson tractor. He wore an old Great War trench coat to keep the winter cold out when ploughing. To help keep warm he had a length of rubber hose running from the horizontal exhaust and stuffed up the back of his coat.

Apparently he always went home with a very black neck. :wow:

Aha Tony, lucky he did not catch TVO itous then :laugh:

That rope is going to be for some really obvious purpose.

Here's my shot at it. It is for nothing more serious than getting up on that side of the engine. He could have climbed up there using the step with that rope in his left hand ....

But if it was just for climbing up, why would it be hooked at top for easy removal?

Job to tell if it is hemp or wire. I think it is wire, and if we knew what the regular duties of the engine were in some detail we might have a better idea what it was used for.

My guess is that it was used to pull engine sideways to permit tight turning of whatever it was pulling - the lock is not good and steering problematic in greasy conditions, and this would greatly facilitate positioning of guns(?) in difficult conditions or confined spaces. Although there does not appear to be a rope on the right side -

- and I've been wrong plenty of times before…...:blush:

The answer has come up on one of the steam forums. There is one on each side. One goes to the back wheel and one to the front wheel and they attach to holes there. Stops the wheels turning when winching.

Ed

There appears to be a wooden box in the way of the left one which presumably should go to the back wheel. As for locking one front wheel, not sure that would do much good at all. More likely both rear wheels. I'm not yet convinced.

I could be convinced by photographic evidence though :-D

I managed to get a sneak preview of the GDSF today. The effort that they are putting into the WW1 area was really very impressive. They have been building a trench network which looked spot on and very large. To add to the atmosphere they have built a ruined farmhouse which when finished will be complete with furniture. They will create a copse of shell damaged trees. Blown up telegraph poles with wires hanging down. Two foot gauge railway.with Simplex loco. Lots of other decoration such as blown up carts, trees and other debris etc. They obtained vast quantities of sandbags complete with sand from the local council who wanted to dispose of them. Lots of barbed wire with poles all ready to go in. All in all it has the making of the best trench recreation I have seen. Looking forwards to seeing it completed next week.

IMG_6207_zps7b297bff.jpg

IMG_6210_zpsbcc9897f.jpg

IMG_6212_zps6735cebd.jpg

IMG_6215_zpsa047cedc.jpg

IMG_6224_zpsee89c92e.jpg

IMG_6225_zpsdf216e41.jpg

IMG_6227_zps97064957.jpg

IMG_6228_zpsd41f2ba2.jpg

IMG_6233_zpse2e93946.jpg

Lots of WW1 vehicles are lined up ready to come with a couple of real surprises. Here is one of them. An ex WD FWD in its second life as a fairground lorry. Not seen this one for 25 years or so, although it is currently on display at Dingles museum.

Enjoy

Tim

IMG_6184_zps1c26e88a.jpg

Those trenches look very clean. In my research of the western front the protagonists seemed constantly to be sloshing-about in mud or covered in dust and grime. The fairground lorry is a gem.

The ground there is all chalk with hardly any top soil, it will look clean. As for mud, going by the forecast there may be mud to come ............ unfortunately.:undecided:

A good effort to those that did it anyway.

Thanks for sharing those pictures Tim/Tony. I am nipping over to the fair on Thursday/Friday and on my list were the WWI vehichles. The day will be even better with that trench system to see. These guys will be in the element as they aren't far from hallowed ground of Blandford Camp which was also used a German PoW camp during WWI. Richard - if it does rain then that is going to a great site to see too - may be not for the guys but certainly for us public :blush:

Top effort to all those that have made this happen. Just how it should be :-)

Richard - if it does rain then that is going to a great site to see too - may be not for the guys but certainly for us public :blush:

Two years ago, it tipped down with rain as I arrived, nothing moved except the tractor towing the cars out of the carpark, I was one of them, 2 hours wait. Much prefer it if it is dry.

Two years ago, it tipped down with rain as I arrived, nothing moved except the tractor towing the cars out of the carpark, I was one of them, 2 hours wait. Much prefer it if it is dry.

I hear you on that. Being going on and off for about 30 years. One time we used to take our shepherds hut to display and spend the week on the thrashing drum. Even thou it is chalk - when it gets wet it gets wet. I was thinking more along the lines of if it rains then the trench system may show us just a tiny bit of how it was.