Great Dorset Steam Fair

Roy Larkin

I have received an email from Martin Oliver about the Great Dorset Steam Fair and probably the easiest way of explaining is to copy the press release he sent me here.

PRESS RELEASE

WORLD WAR ONE COMMEMORATION DISPLAY – GREAT DORSET STEAM FAIR 2014

News from Martin Oliver at the Great Dorset Steam Fair is that with 2014 marking 100 years since the outbreak of the First World War, the GDSF will be commemorating this centenary anniversary with its own tribute display at this year’s show. This thoughtfully assembled display will feature a selection of steam and historic vehicles and ancillary equipment which participated in the War years 1914-1918.

If you would like to be considered as an exhibitor in this special commemorative display please send full details in writing of your proposed exhibit (including a recent photograph) to Great Dorset Steam Fair (World War One Display), Show Office, Dairy House Farm, Child Okeford, Blandford, Dorset, DT11 8HT. Alternatively, please send Martin your details by email to martin.oliver@gdsf.co.uk Careful consideration will be given to all applications, particularly to those with rare and unusually interesting exhibits. All applications must be received by GDSF by 15th March 2014.

For further information on the display, please contact Martin Oliver (01258 860361/07833 514961).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that there will be two WD Mclarens towing on a period trailer the MK IV replica from Bovington to the show. Should make an amazing photo opportunity.

The GDSF will be putting together a line up of ex WD traction engines, rollers and steam wagons, although most will be in their civilian livery.

In the large marquee near the heavy haulage arena there will be room for any WW1 military vehicles that may wish to attend. I understand that the WD Roads Foden will be there and Rowleys Nash Quad.

• 5 months later...

Tim thank you for posting those. In general I have no particular interest in steam as so often seen in terms of showman's engines, but to see these vehicles steaming of to war as it were complete with their crews in uniform I found deeply moving. Thank you.

Tim thank you for posting those. In general I have no particular interest in steam as so often seen in terms of showman's engines, but to see these vehicles steaming of to war as it were complete with their crews in uniform I found deeply moving. Thank you.

I too found it deeply moving Clive it was a great mark of respect. It did cause major transport disruption in the area but what a sight to see :-) I am sure most car drivers would understand its not offten you see things like that on the road.

Al

I too found it deeply moving Clive it was a great mark of respect. It did cause major transport disruption in the area but what a sight to see :-) I am sure most car drivers would understand its not offten you see things like that on the road.

Al

I'm afraid it did nothing for me. The haulage is always a good show, but it was not a very authentic set up.

Its worth noting the WD liveried McLaren was steamed for the first time after extensive work to drive it onto the lowloader to get there. You'll notice they didnt have time to fit bottom gear!.

Nice to see the Foden steaming so well, its had new firebars which has transformed it.

Edited by 8_10 Brass Cleaner

Gutted I missed this. Was on Wool station waiting for the other half to get off the train around the time they must have left Bovvy; I heard a whistle but couldn't work out what it could be, or where. Are they doing any other runs before (or after) GDSF?

I also found these postings moving and bringing to life what it would have been like to see these sites and sound that would have happened across England between 1914 and 1918

I'm afraid it did nothing for me. The haulage is always a good show, but it was not a very authentic set up.

As a steam man I am surprised that it did nothing for you. The sound and sight of heavy haulage always sets my pulse racing. It is far more exciting to see heavy haulage on the road than going up the GDSF hill of course. Yes, the set up might not be very authentic, but I don't think it is trying to be. It is just a spectacle and a bit of fun. If it was trying to be authentic they would put the Holt on a train. I have a photo of a Holt which has been recovered due to battle damage. I would say that it was un-driveable and un-towable. In that case would it not be recovered in such a manner?

It looks like the onlookers enjoyed it all. There seemed to be a lot of them there. If it was for marketing purposes then good luck to Martin. Much better than stuffing leaflets through doors I feel.

Absolutely marvelous!!

So great to see a lack of orange or green vests detracting from the scene. The use of army period uniforms for the crew also gives a great atmosphere to the occassion. Thanks Tim for posting this.

Doug