Disabling an ABS system

Tony B

My poor old Divscovery 200tdi is going out to grass. The replacment will be a 300tdi, which has ABS. We al know ABS is a two edged sword, so can anyone suggest a way to temporarily disable the sytem if the situation requires it? The idea I've been having is a gaurded switch in the power line to the pump, anyone know if that will work?

agree with above points far as i know only time abs no good is braking on deep snow as wedge would form in front of wheels so helping vehicle to slow with vehicles with no abs, in this country not really gonna be much of a issue 99 percent of time abs can be a life saver

With the vehicles I drive, you can drive if the ABS is working, you can drive if it isn't. The only time the vehicle becomes unservisable is if the ABS is intermittent, because then you don't know what the braking performance is. Wet mud and fallen debries such as leaves has the same effect as snow and tce. The closest I've come to aciendents in bad weather is when at the last moment with the vehicle almost at a standstill the ABS picks up a locked wheel and releases the system.

There's loads on the various Land Rover forums on this subject so I'd do some reading there. While I wouldn't condone disabling an ABS system, we have 2 Disco 300tdi's and I spend more time working on the ABS systems on them than on any other aspect of maintenance. 1st gen ABS is not very reliable.

- MG

why dont u just buy a reliable 4x4 rather than a disco!:D

And Ruhbabrb to you! >:( I would love a classic Range Rover back. Unfortunatley Land Rover and disiel engines have never been a good combination. If it comes to spending money on vehicles. my Baby's get the money, after all, they 'aint making Dodge WC range anymore. ;)

Thanks Mike, I'll take a look.

With the vehicles I drive, you can drive if the ABS is working, you can drive if it isn't. The only time the vehicle becomes unservisable is if the ABS is intermittent, because then you don't know what the braking performance is. Wet mud and fallen debries such as leaves has the same effect as snow and tce. The closest I've come to aciendents in bad weather is when at the last moment with the vehicle almost at a standstill the ABS picks up a locked wheel and releases the system.

Tony

Surely you mean you cant drive a vehicle with an ABS fault at all ???

In my world if VOSA pulled a truck with even an orange ABS light they could potentially issue a PG9 (maybe a delayed one but still a PG9)